Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: LINUX

Re: LINUX

Henry Sidgwick

Peter allegedly said:

> Can anyone tell me how much new learning is there to using Linux instead
> of MS
> have Mandrake 9 ut am not too sure if I know what to do and how to use it
> as some have told me it is like having to learn a whole new
> language...????

Get a Knoppix bootable Linux CD and you can have a play without having to
install anything at all.

The Linux KDE 3.1 desktop works in a very similar way to what any Windows
user would be used to.

The same goes for GNOME and most of the other possible GUIs.

(Linux has several/many to choose from).

If you're comfortable with Windows, making a move to Linux shouldn't be too
hard. It's much the same from the user's point of view.

In the latest versions, configuring things like file and print sharing is
also much easier than it was even just 1 year ago.....

There are probably more new releaes coming out in the next few weeks. A new
version of Red Hat is due out in October.