Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > compaq deskpro EN strange ps

compaq deskpro EN strange ps

Rick Ward

An old (PII 350) Compaq Deskpro EN blew up at work (courtesy of some idiot
who flicked the switch at the back from 230v to 115v) and since these P/S
are likely to be obsolete I opted for a generic (Hyena) PS replacement for
it - the usual ATX PS with P4 plug on it.

Strange thing is, while the PC fires up, there is no signal going to the
monitor and it doesn't even post.

Is there some strange unique PS that compaq installs in their machines? Or
something intrinsically basic I am doing wrong??

I've tested the machine with another PS from an identical model and it boots
up fine so isn't a problem with the computer itself. And I've also tried the
Hyena PS in a generic computer and it works fine too, so why won't it work
in the compaq machine??

Any advice gratefully received...

cheers
rick

colinco

In article <3f3a0a58$(E-Mail Removed)>, Rick Ward wrote...
> Is there some strange unique PS that compaq installs in their machines? Or
> something intrinsically basic I am doing wrong??

Are all the wire colours in the same places in the ATX plug?
Dell had a habit of using special arrangements but I've used generic in a
slightly earlier Compaq. Don't waste too much time on the Hyena as
they're not very reliable.

~misfit~

"Rick Ward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f3a0a58$(E-Mail Removed)...
> An old (PII 350) Compaq Deskpro EN blew up at work (courtesy of some idiot
> who flicked the switch at the back from 230v to 115v) and since these P/S
> are likely to be obsolete I opted for a generic (Hyena) PS replacement for
> it - the usual ATX PS with P4 plug on it.
>
> Strange thing is, while the PC fires up, there is no signal going to the
> monitor and it doesn't even post.
>
> Is there some strange unique PS that compaq installs in their machines? Or
> something intrinsically basic I am doing wrong??
>
> I've tested the machine with another PS from an identical model and it

boots
> up fine so isn't a problem with the computer itself. And I've also tried

the
> Hyena PS in a generic computer and it works fine too, so why won't it work
> in the compaq machine??
>
> Any advice gratefully received...

Damn! I just threw away a few PSUs/parts for those machines a while ago as I
figured no one would be wanting them and I needed a clean-out.

Sorry.
--
~misfit~

---