Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Worm Virus Info & Links

Worm Virus Info & Links

RecylerMan

Howard wrote:

> Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
>
>>"karl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:3f3ac6ee$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Its freeky that ASB Bank was infected with this..

>>It's appalling. A (properly configured) firewall takes care of it and
>>the operating systems SHOULD be patched regulary.

> Firewalls yes. MS Patches less so.
>
> As several wise fellows have already said in this ng, too many of them have
> broken an otherwise working system and they also have an amended and less
> favourable EULA.
>
> Virus checkers also should be added to the list, albeit it would not have
> saved the day against blaster. Firewalls alone are insufficient. While IT
> depts might like to prevent sharing of files between organisations &/or from
> home, it's still the way most work gets done.

I just put my XP system togeather It worked fine it was behind a fire
wall never seen intrusions of the type talked about I had my net working
up and running one win95b machine two win98 a e-smith and XP well all
machines except e-smith could read data off the xp machine all was sweet
I do the download patches thing and **** win95 cant do anything with the
XP machine SOB being only a pentium133 95 sutes it to the everyting
concidering it was running 95b when new.

--
RecylerMan ICQ 22245595
Mail to :- l i n u x u s r AT i h u g DOT c o DOT n z

Jason M

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 07:14:51 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>That's why everyone reccomends that you

> B. Have a firewall installed

But the firewall needs to be told what to do.
It's not exactly obvious what the firewall should block and allow.

lily

Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

> "lily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:sZI_a.11472$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
>>

>>>"lily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:srF_a.11411$(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>>Er.. what? This worm doesn't do *any* permanent damage.
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>Nicholas Sherlock
>>>

>>So easily dismissed when its someone elses problem.
>>This is what I mean.
>>
>>How do you know which version of whatever worm has exploited this
>>particular vulnerability ?
>>There are a whole bunch of variants on their way.
>>The security advisories suggest that you should clean rebuild and patch.
>>Many home users don't have access to another box to even investigate a fix
>>It might mean nothing to a young know it all geek like you, but its a
>>major pain in the arse to Joe Average User.
>>

> That's why everyone reccomends that you
> A. Have antivirus installed.
> B. Have a firewall installed
> C. GO TO WINDOWSUPDATE!
>
> Having any *one* of these would stop the problem.
>
> Cheers,
> Nicholas Sherlock

All stuff that the white box that Joe Average User bought from the home
appliance salesman should do by default.
Its the only way.
They have already been told that the PC does this stuff
Microsoft have always sent their stuff out wide open unsafe with
security as an user selected option.
There are reams of magazine articles about securing your PC.
All the components are there.
But...
Lets just blame the n00bs they made money from.
Not good enough.

Robert Singers

Out from under a rock popped Howard and said

> As several wise fellows have already said in this ng, too many of them
> have broken an otherwise working system and they also have an amended
> and less favourable EULA.

The number OS systems that get broken by patches is minimal and generally
caused by a problem that was lurking below the surface anyway. It's not an
acceptable reason to not update. Most of MS's updates can be removed from
add\remove programs if they cause a problem anyway.

Secondly the EULA may be less favourable but AFAIK non of Microsoft's EULAs
have been tested in court. How well they stand up in law is debataeble.

> Virus checkers also should be added to the list, albeit it would not
> have saved the day against blaster. Firewalls alone are insufficient.
> While IT depts might like to prevent sharing of files between
> organisations &/or from home, it's still the way most work gets done.

The Multinational I work for makes virus protection, VPN, and F/W software
available to the Employees. We encourage people to take NAV home and
install it on their own PCs.

Nicholas Sherlock

"Jason M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 07:14:51 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >That's why everyone reccomends that you

> > B. Have a firewall installed

> But the firewall needs to be told what to do.
> It's not exactly obvious what the firewall should block and allow.

If it's a software firewall, it'll ask. "Nutscrape Communicable needs to use
the internet, allow?".

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Nicholas Sherlock

"lily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6dS_a.11538$(E-Mail Removed)...
> All stuff that the white box that Joe Average User bought from the home
> appliance salesman should do by default.
> Its the only way.
> They have already been told that the PC does this stuff
> Microsoft have always sent their stuff out wide open unsafe with
> security as an user selected option.
> There are reams of magazine articles about securing your PC.
> All the components are there.
> But...
> Lets just blame the n00bs they made money from.
> Not good enough.

XP has a firewall installed *by default* for most configurations, I think.
Autoupdate notification is also installed by default, ISTR.

And.. do you think this is different on other operating systems?

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Howard Johnson

"Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bhhnr9$qvi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "lily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:6dS_a.11538$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > All stuff that the white box that Joe Average User bought from the home
> > appliance salesman should do by default.
> > Its the only way.
> > They have already been told that the PC does this stuff
> > Microsoft have always sent their stuff out wide open unsafe with
> > security as an user selected option.
> > There are reams of magazine articles about securing your PC.
> > All the components are there.
> > But...
> > Lets just blame the n00bs they made money from.
> > Not good enough.

> XP has a firewall installed *by default* for most configurations, I think.

Not for the users rooted by the worm

> Autoupdate notification is also installed by default, ISTR.

Not for the users rooted by the worm.

Thats why all the infections

> And.. do you think this is different on other operating systems?

Why do you think that that matters to the hundreds of thousands of users
rooted by the worm.

They didn't install any operating system, they just bought a 'puter.

Robert Mathews

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:55:26 +1200, "Howard Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:bhhnr9$qvi$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "lily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:6dS_a.11538$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > All stuff that the white box that Joe Average User bought from the home
>> > appliance salesman should do by default.
>> > Its the only way.
>> > They have already been told that the PC does this stuff
>> > Microsoft have always sent their stuff out wide open unsafe with
>> > security as an user selected option.
>> > There are reams of magazine articles about securing your PC.
>> > All the components are there.
>> > But...
>> > Lets just blame the n00bs they made money from.
>> > Not good enough.

>> XP has a firewall installed *by default* for most configurations, I think.

>Not for the users rooted by the worm
>
>> Autoupdate notification is also installed by default, ISTR.

>Not for the users rooted by the worm.
>
>Thats why all the infections
>>
>> And.. do you think this is different on other operating systems?

>Why do you think that that matters to the hundreds of thousands of users
>rooted by the worm.
>
>They didn't install any operating system, they just bought a 'puter.

So why din't the Auto updates work..?

T.N.O

"lily" wrote
| But...
| Lets just blame the n00bs they made money from.
| Not good enough.

Why? we don't let users onto roads in vehicles without "proper training" why
not make users of computers do the same... maybe it is because it would kill
the industry because every body would learn just how "illiterate"* the
general public is.

I dont actually mean illiterate, but the word serves the purpose for what I
meant, and most here seem to be above average intelligence, and should "get
it"

cowboyz

"T.N.O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f3d9e5a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "lily" wrote
> | But...
> | Lets just blame the n00bs they made money from.
> | Not good enough.
>
> Why? we don't let users onto roads in vehicles without "proper training"

What you on about? We let anyone on the road with the very basics of how to
drive. And people buy computers with the very basics of knowledge.

--
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."