Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > smart worm?

smart worm?

Craig Sutton

Why don't Microsoft release a repair worm that trawls the net repairing
mblast infected machines.

Nicholas Sherlock

"Craig Sutton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bhckmv$kgj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why don't Microsoft release a repair worm that trawls the net repairing
> mblast infected machines.

Because that would be a massive waste of everybodies bandwidths. Remember
when Klez caused a major netwide slowdown?

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Rupert

yes but will we see the RIAA send out a virus which means that the port for
filesharing has to be blocked? - if such a thing can be done!

"Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bhcl34$l6v$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Craig Sutton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bhckmv$kgj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Why don't Microsoft release a repair worm that trawls the net repairing
> > mblast infected machines.

> Because that would be a massive waste of everybodies bandwidths. Remember
> when Klez caused a major netwide slowdown?
>
> Cheers,
> Nicholas Sherlock

lily

Craig Sutton wrote:

> Why don't Microsoft release a repair worm that trawls the net repairing
> mblast infected machines.

They have released a socially engineered version called "Windows Update"
It has a revised EULA payload that you must click through.

T.N.O

"Craig Sutton" wrote
| Why don't Microsoft release a repair worm that trawls the net repairing
| mblast infected machines.

Because Linux freaks would claim that it was unethical... or something.

Patrick FitzGerald

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:41:11 +1200, lily <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>They have released a socially engineered version called "Windows Update"
> It has a revised EULA payload that you must click through.

Why should we agre to yet another EULA just to save Micro$oft??

Patrick

Nathan Mercer

"Patrick FitzGerald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >They have released a socially engineered version called "Windows Update"
> > It has a revised EULA payload that you must click through.
> >

> Why should we agre to yet another EULA just to save Micro$oft??

To save Microsoft? Microsoft's computers aren't infected - its yourself
that you're saving from being comprimised

Patrick FitzGerald

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:48:48 +1200, "Nathan Mercer"
<nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote:

>To save Microsoft? Microsoft's computers aren't infected - its yourself
>that you're saving from being comprimised

According to the media the blaster worm is designed to bring about a
DOS on Microsoft, does not sound like that has anything to do with my
computer.

So if Micro$oft wants to protect its butt it should drop its EULAs
not only for the worm fix but forever more

Patrick

F O R E V ER

Nathan Mercer

"Patrick FitzGerald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >To save Microsoft? Microsoft's computers aren't infected - its yourself
> >that you're saving from being comprimised

> According to the media the blaster worm is designed to bring about a
> DOS on Microsoft, does not sound like that has anything to do with my
> computer.

Think. It appears that Blaster's payload is to launch a distributed denial
of service against Windows Update on Saturday. If all you think about is
that, then all you are doing is treating the symptoms and not the underlying
problem. The blaster worm targets a vulnerability in Windows that has been
patched by MS03-26. The same vulernability can give attackers admin level
access to your machine remotely and execute arbitrary code. Your PC is not
your PC anymore.

> So if Micro$oft wants to protect its butt it should drop its EULAs
> not only for the worm fix but forever more

No EULAs no software. Who releases software without an associated license??
If you want to run with a comprised system more fool you in my humble
opinion.

lily

Nathan Mercer wrote:

> "Patrick FitzGerald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>>They have released a socially engineered version called "Windows Update"
>>> It has a revised EULA payload that you must click through.
>>>

>>Why should we agre to yet another EULA just to save Micro$oft??

> To save Microsoft? Microsoft's computers aren't infected - its yourself
> that you're saving from being comprimised

The hardware you own isn't borked, the software that you are licensing
from Microsoft and don't own is.
Why does Microsoft not indemnify its customers against business loss
caused by faults in the design of their operating system ?