Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > smart worm?

smart worm?

lily

Patrick FitzGerald wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:41:11 +1200, lily <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>They have released a socially engineered version called "Windows Update"
>> It has a revised EULA payload that you must click through.
>>

> Why should we agre to yet another EULA just to save Micro$oft??
>
> Patrick

Because thats the conditions under which they allow you to use a repair.
You were quite happy to agree to the initial EULA weren't you ??

Patrick FitzGerald

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:05:14 +1200, "Nathan Mercer"
<nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote:

>No EULAs no software. Who releases software without an associated license??
>If you want to run with a comprised system more fool you in my humble
>opinion.

If micro$oft did not write softawre that needed such frequent
repairs then I would not need to sign so many EULAs would I?,

It has always been my practice to avoid micro$oft software whenever
that is possible to avoid being a victim of those who expolit
microsofts bugs

Patrick

Patrick FitzGerald

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:05:14 +1200, "Nathan Mercer"
<nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote:

>"Patrick FitzGerald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>Think. It appears that Blaster's payload is to launch a distributed denial
>of service against Windows Update on Saturday. If all you think about is
>that, then all you are doing is treating the symptoms and not the underlying
>problem. The blaster worm targets a vulnerability in Windows that has been
>patched by MS03-26. The same vulernability can give attackers admin level
>access to your machine remotely and execute arbitrary code. Your PC is not
>your PC anymore.

OK I can see the validity of that.

When Micro$oft eventually installs Palladium that same Palladiym will
give micro$oft admin level access to my machine remotely and execute
arbitrary code. and MY PC will not be my PC anymore

Patrick

Patrick FitzGerald

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:19:28 +1200, lily <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Because thats the conditions under which they allow you to use a repair.
>You were quite happy to agree to the initial EULA weren't you ??

NO NO NO NO NO

Patrick

Bret

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:15:45 +1200, lily <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nathan Mercer wrote:
>
>> "Patrick FitzGerald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Why should we agre to yet another EULA just to save Micro$oft??

>> To save Microsoft? Microsoft's computers aren't infected - its yourself
>> that you're saving from being comprimised
>>

>The hardware you own isn't borked, the software that you are licensing
>from Microsoft and don't own is.
>Why does Microsoft not indemnify its customers against business loss
>caused by faults in the design of their operating system ?

I know, they haven't got enough money

Bruce Sinclair

In article <bhevqr$lj9$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Patrick FitzGerald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:26:26 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> >I know, they haven't got enough money

>> Bill Gates, the guy who thinks prime numbers can have factors, could
>> pay up,.

>But they do. 1 and the prime number. Prime numbers have 2 factors.

... but one of those is trivial and part of the definition of "prime" IIRC

Bruce

Oook !
NOTE remove the not_ from the address to reply. NO SPAM !

Nicholas Sherlock

"Patrick FitzGerald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:48:48 +1200, "Nathan Mercer"
> <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote:
>

> >To save Microsoft? Microsoft's computers aren't infected - its yourself
> >that you're saving from being comprimised

> According to the media the blaster worm is designed to bring about a
> DOS on Microsoft, does not sound like that has anything to do with my
> computer.

Okay.... this is seriously just not the case. The worm opens your system
wide open for remote CMD sessions on port 4444. It causes your system to
crash all of the time, shut down at random intervals, and internet is
practically unusuable.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Nicholas Sherlock

"Patrick FitzGerald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:26:26 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >I know, they haven't got enough money

> Bill Gates, the guy who thinks prime numbers can have factors, could
> pay up,.

But they do. 1 and the prime number. Prime numbers have 2 factors.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

T.N.O.

Patrick FitzGerald wrote
> >You were quite happy to agree to the initial EULA weren't you ??
> >

> NO NO NO NO NO

So you didn't agree to the initial EULA? so your not running Windows...

Col^

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:18:59 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Patrick FitzGerald) wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:05:14 +1200, "Nathan Mercer"
><nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>"Patrick FitzGerald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>Think. It appears that Blaster's payload is to launch a distributed denial
>>of service against Windows Update on Saturday. If all you think about is
>>that, then all you are doing is treating the symptoms and not the underlying
>>problem. The blaster worm targets a vulnerability in Windows that has been
>>patched by MS03-26. The same vulernability can give attackers admin level
>>access to your machine remotely and execute arbitrary code. Your PC is not
>>your PC anymore.

>OK I can see the validity of that.
>
>When Micro$oft eventually installs Palladium that same Palladiym will
>give micro$oft admin level access to my machine remotely and execute
>arbitrary code. and MY PC will not be my PC anymore

Patsy, you are the thicko, your spelling betrays you.
--

Col

Col's law.
Thinly sliced cabbage..