Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Hardware/PSU question

Reply
Thread Tools

Hardware/PSU question

 
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2003

"Peter Huebner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). co.nz...
> In article <dU3%a.117230$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz says...
> >
> > It's not heat. It crashes right from start-up. MBM5 and the BIOS both

report
> > (very) acceptable temps. Also touch-testing the heatsinks agrees with

the
> > read-outs.
> >
> > I'm now convinced the problem is with the mobo. It's a moot point

anyway,
> > the machine has been sent back and I'm building him a new one from

scratch
> > next week.
> >
> > Thanks for your input.
> > --
> > ~misfit~

>
> It's amazing what heat can do. Or rather how quickly it can crash a
> system.
> I was called upon to fix a machine that often wouldn't get through the
> Win 9x boot before freezing.
> It would freeze at the latest 30 seconds after Windows had finished
> booting.
>
> I discovered the heatsink had actually fallen off the CPU in that
> case. ;-0 Just lucky the CPU knew to shut itself down. K7 i.i.r.c.


Yep, heat can build up really quickly alright. In this case (pun not
intended) I checked and the HSF appeared to be properly attached. I wasn't
gonna remove it to be sure as it was under warranty and I didn't want to
waste my Arctic Silver 3. It would boot into windows fine sometimes and run
SETI fine for quite a while so I don't think it was a heat-related problem.

Incidently, I've since heard this today from a guy I've known for a year or
two who builds a few computers, he posted to me in
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking about the mobo:

"Misfit, I just popped in, so maybe you've already sorted this out.

If that MSI mobo is one of the 875/865 'Neo's with the 'Corecell' gimmicky
B.S., get rid of it fast and for good! MSI had nothing but stability
troubles with these boards for an entire month, when they first came out
near the end of May/early June.

Bios, after Bios, & nothing worked. I had a Neo 875 FIS2R for over 3
weeks, & finally RMA'd it. I insisted, and got, a full refund from the
vendor, after showing the manager a 1/2 dozen forums, including MSI's, where
no one could get their mobo's stable. The manager even told me he was
wondering why mine was the only MSI Neo series he received from MSI, and
couldn't get any more for all month, w/o any explanation from MSI. Then, MSI
shut down their forums for this series!!! Almost every post was a bitch and
complaint about stability, & MSI's lack of response. Even Anandtech added a
disclaimer to their review, cautioning their readers about stability issues.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1820&p=4

The problem: Wildly fluctuating Vcores. Exactly the kinda symptom that
gets ppl swappin' and doubtin' their power supplys !"


So it seems I may have been right in my final diagnosis of the mobo being
bad. It was an 875 Neo Rev.1.
--
~misfit~




---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.510 / Virus Database: 307 - Release Date: 14/08/2003


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
M
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2003

"~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
news:RFJ%a.119094$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The problem: Wildly fluctuating Vcores. Exactly the kinda symptom that
> gets ppl swappin' and doubtin' their power supplys !"
>
>
> So it seems I may have been right in my final diagnosis of the mobo being
> bad. It was an 875 Neo Rev.1.
> --
> ~misfit~


That has the smell of the dodgy capacitor problem again.

M


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert Mathews
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2003
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 23:28:51 +1200, "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz>
wrote:

>> case. ;-0 Just lucky the CPU knew to shut itself down. K7 i.i.r.c.

>
>Yep, heat can build up really quickly alright. In this case (pun not
>intended) I checked and the HSF appeared to be properly attached. I wasn't
>gonna remove it to be sure as it was under warranty and I didn't want to
>waste my Arctic Silver 3. It would boot into windows fine sometimes and run
>SETI fine for quite a while so I don't think it was a heat-related problem.
>
>Incidently, I've since heard this today from a guy I've known for a year or
>two who builds a few computers, he posted to me in
>alt.comp.hardware.overclocking about the mobo:
>
>"Misfit, I just popped in, so maybe you've already sorted this out.
>
>If that MSI mobo is one of the 875/865 'Neo's with the 'Corecell' gimmicky
>B.S., get rid of it fast and for good! MSI had nothing but stability
>troubles with these boards for an entire month, when they first came out
>near the end of May/early June.




Funny no mention of this in that News Group..


>Bios, after Bios, & nothing worked. I had a Neo 875 FIS2R for over 3
>weeks, & finally RMA'd it. I insisted, and got, a full refund from the
>vendor, after showing the manager a 1/2 dozen forums, including MSI's, where
>no one could get their mobo's stable. The manager even told me he was
>wondering why mine was the only MSI Neo series he received from MSI, and
>couldn't get any more for all month, w/o any explanation from MSI. Then, MSI
>shut down their forums for this series!!! Almost every post was a bitch and
>complaint about stability, & MSI's lack of response. Even Anandtech added a
>disclaimer to their review, cautioning their readers about stability issues.
>
>http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1820&p=4
>
>The problem: Wildly fluctuating Vcores. Exactly the kinda symptom that
>gets ppl swappin' and doubtin' their power supplys !"
>
>
>So it seems I may have been right in my final diagnosis of the mobo being
>bad. It was an 875 Neo Rev.1.
>--
>~misfit~
>
>
>
>
>---
>Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
>Version: 6.0.510 / Virus Database: 307 - Release Date: 14/08/2003
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Mathews
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2003
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 00:40:33 +1200, "M" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>"~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
>news:RFJ%a.119094$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> The problem: Wildly fluctuating Vcores. Exactly the kinda symptom that
>> gets ppl swappin' and doubtin' their power supplys !"
>>
>>
>> So it seems I may have been right in my final diagnosis of the mobo being
>> bad. It was an 875 Neo Rev.1.
>> --
>> ~misfit~

>
>That has the smell of the dodgy capacitor problem again.
>
>M
>



No it does not, its a over clocking problem..


 
Reply With Quote
 
Uncle StoatWarbler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2003
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 21:42:42 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:

> It's amazing what heat can do. Or rather how quickly it can crash a
> system.


> I discovered the heatsink had actually fallen off the CPU in that case.



I've had similar experiences when the heatsink was installed the wrong way
round and so wasn't touching the CPU die (3 machines) and in another case
where the protective plastic sheet wasn't removed before installing the
copper heatsink (plus another with aluminium heatsink with pad where the
pad protector wasn't pulled off.)


What's amazing is that the machines will actually manage to limp along
with the CPU reporting 130C in such cases.

The service company who was dealing with $orkplace machines is no longer
welcome there as a result of these and a number of other cockups. That's
posing somewhat of a problem for the suppliers of the machines...


 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Huebner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-18-2003
In article <RFJ%a.119094$(E-Mail Removed)>,
misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz says...
> Bios, after Bios, & nothing worked. I had a Neo 875 FIS2R for over 3
> weeks, & finally RMA'd it. I insisted, and got, a full refund from the
> vendor, after showing the manager a 1/2 dozen forums, including MSI's, where
> no one could get their mobo's stable. The manager even told me he was
> wondering why mine was the only MSI Neo series he received from MSI, and
> couldn't get any more for all month, w/o any explanation from MSI. Then, MSI
> shut down their forums for this series!!! Almost every post was a bitch and
> complaint about stability, & MSI's lack of response. Even Anandtech added a
> disclaimer to their review, cautioning their readers about stability issues.
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1820&p=4
>
> The problem: Wildly fluctuating Vcores. Exactly the kinda symptom that
> gets ppl swappin' and doubtin' their power supplys !"
>
>
> So it seems I may have been right in my final diagnosis of the mobo being
> bad. It was an 875 Neo Rev.1.


Hmm, yes, well - that fits in with my feeling about some brands of Mobo.
If I build a system for people I won't touch anything other than Abit,
Aopen or Asustech, maybe Gigabyte or Shuttle ... even Asus is on my
shitlist somewhat since I had a couple of duds from them

<sigh>
So people come to me "Peter, we wanna buy a computer, what should we
get?" and I tell them that first and foremost what they should make sure
of a good branded mobo and maybe go for a slower CPU instead - explained
how much good it is to put a Ferrari motor into a Morrie Minor chassis
(so the system specs look good) - so they traipse off to Auckland and
what do they come back with? You guessed it - a Really Good Deal
(academic Special Price for teachers!(As If)) for $1400 which has some
MSI or cheap Tyan board in it. ...
Then they wonder why their supposedly faaaaast computer is dreadfully
sloooow booting XP Home.
... I just shut up, there's no point.

-P.

--

Please note munged reply address - delete the obvious ....
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
question row filter (more of sql query question) =?Utf-8?B?YW5kcmV3MDA3?= ASP .Net 2 10-06-2005 01:07 PM
Quick Question - Newby Question =?Utf-8?B?UnlhbiBTbWl0aA==?= ASP .Net 4 02-16-2005 11:59 AM
Question on Transcender Question :-) eddiec MCSE 6 05-20-2004 06:59 AM
Question re: features of the 831 router (also a 924 question) Wayne Cisco 0 03-02-2004 07:57 PM
Syntax Question - Novice Question sean ASP .Net 1 10-20-2003 12:18 PM



Advertisments