Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Hardware/PSU question

Reply
Thread Tools

Hardware/PSU question

 
 
Rider
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-12-2003
and 'MSI' in big letters).
> --


Theres ya problem, blardy crappy boards LOL

Rider


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andrew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-12-2003
They are not crap!

Well.. dependson the model i guess, im not too keen on the Intel side of MSI
boards

"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bhbt8g$2kl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> and 'MSI' in big letters).
> > --

>
> Theres ya problem, blardy crappy boards LOL
>
> Rider
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert Mathews
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2003
Andrew wrote:
> Looks like your questioning yourself - someone change your nick, it
> seems really really stupid


Really ?

> anyway he was refering to the hot AMD cpus using too much power and
> burning to a crisp


Ahh, missed that part. Must have been sober that day. Thanks.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2003
>
> At least MSI have never shipped pirated bioses and fake cache ram
> (complete with tweaked bios falsely reporting cache was there).
>
>


Who did do that?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Malcolm Moore
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2003
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 03:00:16 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4Jg_a.11098$9f7.1288986
>@news02.tsnz.net:
>
>>>
>>> At least MSI have never shipped pirated bioses and fake cache ram
>>> (complete with tweaked bios falsely reporting cache was there).
>>>
>>>

>>
>> Who did do that?

>
>That would be Edge, but that was quite a while ago, on 486 MBs I believe.
>
>The thing that was much dodgier was their response: Oh that’s quite normal
>in the computer industry, they’re not fake cache RAM chips, they’re sort of
>placeholders. I have never seen any other motherboard with empty RAM slots
>filled with plastic replica RAM to fill the gap, it was an obvious con.


To be "fair", it wasn't just Edge. Other assemblers here and overseas
were doing the same thing.

- -
Regards
Malcolm.
 
Reply With Quote
 
colinco
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2003
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Malcolm Moore
wrote...
> To be "fair", it wasn't just Edge. Other assemblers here and overseas
> were doing the same thing.
>
>

http://www.redhill.net.au/b-bad.html

PC-Chips now part of Elite Group
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2003
"~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in
news:_ue_a.114390$(E-Mail Removed):

>
> "Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bhbgjv$psn$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
>> news:i45_a.113951$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Forgot to mention, The CPU vcore varies between 1.42 and 1.48v by
>> > the

>> second
>> > and the 3.3v line is usually 3.28 and dips to 3.25 at times. This
>> > is

>> without
>> > the PC doing any work, just sitting there. Readings observed in
>> > BIOS and using MBM5, both agree. All the other voltages are down a
>> > little on what they should be as well.

>>
>> I think this deviation is within acceptable limits.

>
> You do? OK. I think if it's fluctuating like that *without* the
> graphics card or CPU doing any major work it's gonna get a lot worse
> in 3D apps and games. It won't run Prime95 for long (CPU working hard)
> or anything that requires the graphics card to output 3D.
>
> The temps are fine, both the CPU and the NB run at around 50 celcius
> and it has a case fan venting out the top. The NB has a big-ass HSF on
> it (with cute little fashing LEDs and 'MSI' in big letters).
> --
> ~misfit~


Now I would be even more sure it is a PSU issue - MSI boards seem to be
rather picky about PSU stability. Guess what brand board I use


--
Tim
- <insert witty signature here>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Mathews
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2003
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:15:18 +1200, Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in
>news:_ue_a.114390$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>>
>> "Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:bhbgjv$psn$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
>>> news:i45_a.113951$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> > Forgot to mention, The CPU vcore varies between 1.42 and 1.48v by
>>> > the
>>> second
>>> > and the 3.3v line is usually 3.28 and dips to 3.25 at times. This
>>> > is
>>> without
>>> > the PC doing any work, just sitting there. Readings observed in
>>> > BIOS and using MBM5, both agree. All the other voltages are down a
>>> > little on what they should be as well.
>>>
>>> I think this deviation is within acceptable limits.

>>
>> You do? OK. I think if it's fluctuating like that *without* the
>> graphics card or CPU doing any major work it's gonna get a lot worse
>> in 3D apps and games. It won't run Prime95 for long (CPU working hard)
>> or anything that requires the graphics card to output 3D.
>>
>> The temps are fine, both the CPU and the NB run at around 50 celcius
>> and it has a case fan venting out the top. The NB has a big-ass HSF on
>> it (with cute little fashing LEDs and 'MSI' in big letters).
>> --
>> ~misfit~

>
>Now I would be even more sure it is a PSU issue - MSI boards seem to be
>rather picky about PSU stability. Guess what brand board I use




Try tweaking the 3.3 V in the Bios I had a problem with a 3D card using a MSI
MoBo and was fixed by setting the I/O Voltage to 3.4V..


 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Mathews
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2003
On 13 Aug 2003 18:57:03 +1200, samg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in
>news:NC1_a.113727$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Hi Group.
>>
>> A friend of mine has just bought a new computer. He specified what he
>> wanted and they built it for him. Basically all he asked for was an
>> 80gig HDD, 512Mb RAM, P4 and a gamers graphics card as the machine was
>> to be used mainly for gaming.

><snip>
>>
>> I think this is the problem, the PSU isn't big enough. What do you
>> guys think?
>>

>
>My advice is a bit different from the rest. From personal experience, I
>would strongly suggest he takes the pc back in and get his money back.
>If your already having problems with a machine so new and dicked around
>by their so called technical support its not worth the bother, your just
>asking for trouble. Theres nothing worse than driving back and forth
>trying to get your pc repaired only to get home and find its still
>playing up.
>
>Its a 'rotten egg' system and you shouldnt waste time trying to get it
>going.
>




I could not agree more so..

misfit should never have touched it as the firm now has a get out and they
could state that he stuffed it up.




 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2003

"samg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns93D6C04F43C76samg@203.97.37.6...
> "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in
> news:NC1_a.113727$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Hi Group.
> >
> > A friend of mine has just bought a new computer. He specified what he
> > wanted and they built it for him. Basically all he asked for was an
> > 80gig HDD, 512Mb RAM, P4 and a gamers graphics card as the machine was
> > to be used mainly for gaming.

> <snip>
> >
> > I think this is the problem, the PSU isn't big enough. What do you
> > guys think?
> >

>
> My advice is a bit different from the rest. From personal experience, I
> would strongly suggest he takes the pc back in and get his money back.
> If your already having problems with a machine so new and dicked around
> by their so called technical support its not worth the bother, your just
> asking for trouble. Theres nothing worse than driving back and forth
> trying to get your pc repaired only to get home and find its still
> playing up.
>
> Its a 'rotten egg' system and you shouldnt waste time trying to get it
> going.


Good point. He's been considering that as the bill hasn't been paid yet.
(bought through his father's business)
--
~misfit~



---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.509 / Virus Database: 306 - Release Date: 12/08/2003


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
question row filter (more of sql query question) =?Utf-8?B?YW5kcmV3MDA3?= ASP .Net 2 10-06-2005 01:07 PM
Quick Question - Newby Question =?Utf-8?B?UnlhbiBTbWl0aA==?= ASP .Net 4 02-16-2005 11:59 AM
Question on Transcender Question :-) eddiec MCSE 6 05-20-2004 06:59 AM
Question re: features of the 831 router (also a 924 question) Wayne Cisco 0 03-02-2004 07:57 PM
Syntax Question - Novice Question sean ASP .Net 1 10-20-2003 12:18 PM



Advertisments