Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > rpc unexpected shutdown

rpc unexpected shutdown

goneill

rpc on my comp has just started shutting down my system and dropping the net

any ideas on how to fix

Nathan Mercer

"goneill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f38a71e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> rpc on my comp has just started shutting down my system and dropping the

net

Pull the plug on your network connection

> any ideas on how to fix

Patch before you get owned, you probably need MS03-26 go to
http://windowsupdate.com
http://www.microsoft.com/security/se...s/ms03-026.asp

Since you are already hacked, consider these tips
http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?date=2003-08-11

Once you are infected, we highly recommend a complete rebuild of the site.
As there have been a number of irc bots using the exploit for a few weeks
now, it is possible that your system was already infected with one of the
prior exploits. Do not connect an unpatched machine to a network.
If you can not do this and/or the computer resides on a protected or
non-Internet connected network, then several Anti-Virus Venders have
supplied tools to assist in removing the worm. However, these tools can not
clean-up damage from other RPC DCOM malware such as the recent sdbot irc
bots. This method of cleaning your system is _not_ recommended, but the URLs
are presented below for completeness.

http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/da...oval.tool.html
http://www3.ca.com/Files/VirusInform...on/ClnPoza.zip

MarkH

Steven H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:MPG.19a4390ac7c13e2e989711
@news.dun.ihug.co.nz:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>
>> Buy a Mac

> if i wanted a hamburger i wold go to McDonalds

I think you’ll find that both Burger King and Wendys do better burgers than
McDonalds.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

T-Boy

In article <Q52_a.113762$(E-Mail Removed)>, nathan@
4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz says...

> Once you are infected, we highly recommend a complete rebuild of the site.

Thanks for the good info Nathan.

A query though.

OK.. so an infected user follows MS's advice and does a
reinstall blah blah.

Um.. then they update on the internet. SP4 - whatever.

Meantime... what will be happening on their PC ????

I'll give you ONE guess.

(cos hey, where else are they gonna get the updates - *most*
people *won't* have SP4 (2K) or SP1a (XP) on CD yer know).

PS: just now, i'm unable to connect to microsoft.com - not
lookin' good.

--
Duncan

T-Boy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> says...
>
> > Buy a Mac

> if i wanted a hamburger i wold go to McDonalds

you'd be making a big mistake.

--
Duncan

T-Boy

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> In article <Q52_a.113762$(E-Mail Removed)>, nathan@
> 4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz says...
>
> > Once you are infected, we highly recommend a complete rebuild of the site.

> Thanks for the good info Nathan.
>
> A query though.
>
> OK.. so an infected user follows MS's advice and does a
> reinstall blah blah.
>
> Um.. then they update on the internet. SP4 - whatever.
>
> Meantime... what will be happening on their PC ????
>
> I'll give you ONE guess.
>
> (cos hey, where else are they gonna get the updates - *most*
> people *won't* have SP4 (2K) or SP1a (XP) on CD yer know).
>
> PS: just now, i'm unable to connect to microsoft.com - not
> lookin' good.

Waited long enough - Let me reply for you then....

quote from (just recently updated, BTW):
http://microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp
"
If you have Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000, you will need to
install a third-party firewall
"

need should be NEED

--
Duncan

Who is this

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Steven H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> says...
>
> > Buy a Mac

> if i wanted a hamburger i wold go to McDonalds

Instead your system is mincemeat.

Steven H

says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> Steven H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> > says...
> >
> > > Buy a Mac

> > if i wanted a hamburger i wold go to McDonalds

> Instead your system is mincemeat.

is it?

i stick to my old saying that only the stupid get viri

7 years running windows - no viri
using Outlook (the virus engine it is) since 97 - no viri

what am i doing wrong??

Steven H

lily

Steven H wrote:

> says...
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
>> Steven H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>>>says...

>>>if i wanted a hamburger i wold go to McDonalds

>>Instead your system is mincemeat.

> is it?
>
> i stick to my old saying that only the stupid get viri
>
> 7 years running windows - no viri
> using Outlook (the virus engine it is) since 97 - no viri
>
> what am i doing wrong??

Try sharing your C: drive rw without a firewall

Nicholas Sherlock

"lily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sEn_a.11220$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Steven H wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> > says...

> >>Instead your system is mincemeat.

> > is it?
> >
> > i stick to my old saying that only the stupid get viri
> >
> > 7 years running windows - no viri
> > using Outlook (the virus engine it is) since 97 - no viri
> >
> > what am i doing wrong??
> >

> Try sharing your C: drive rw without a firewall

This only happens when you bind filesharing to your TCP/IP for your modem.
Which Windows warns you about

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Python script xml-rpc to C# xml-rpc script Ymtrader Python 1 03-15-2011 03:20 PM
rpc (not xml-rpc) Vladimir Konrad Ruby 5 09-03-2005 02:18 PM
XML RPC to ONC XDR RPC Pere Montolio XML 0 08-11-2004 08:47 AM
Ruby and Sun-RPC or ONC-RPC ? Shirish Joshi Ruby 0 04-07-2004 10:12 AM
Re: SOLUTION to NT AUTHORITY SHUTDOWN RPC Mcploppy © Computer Support 1 08-11-2003 09:53 PM

Advertisments