Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless can't access wired. But Wired can access wireless

=?Utf-8?B?ZGZhdG92aWM=?=

I am working on a network that 3 of the computers have wireless connections,
and can see each other and work through file sharing. I also have a wired
computer on the network as well. From the wired computer I can see all the
wireless, have access to all of them, and can access files. I can not access
the wired computer from the wireless.

All computers except one are running XP Pro SP2. The other wireless is an
XP Home machine. I have enabled file sharing and all are apart of the same
workgroup. When I try to access the wired computer from the wireless I get
an error that says: "\\backoffice is not accessible. You might not have
permission to use this resource. Contact your administrator to see if you
have permissions. Network path not found.

I have gone through Carey's instructions on all computers. I have also run
the secpol.msc and on the deny access to this computer from the network, I
have removed Everyone from that list. I can not run the secpol.msc from the
XP Home machine. Is there another way to get into that feature? And how do
I get the wireless machines able to access the wired?

Thanks,
David

Carey Holzman

Unshare everything on the backoffice PC, then re-share one thing and see if
you can access it.

Carey

"dfatovic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am working on a network that 3 of the computers have wireless
>connections,
> and can see each other and work through file sharing. I also have a wired
> computer on the network as well. From the wired computer I can see all
> the
> wireless, have access to all of them, and can access files. I can not
> access
> the wired computer from the wireless.
>
> All computers except one are running XP Pro SP2. The other wireless is an
> XP Home machine. I have enabled file sharing and all are apart of the
> same
> workgroup. When I try to access the wired computer from the wireless I
> get
> an error that says: "\\backoffice is not accessible. You might not have
> permission to use this resource. Contact your administrator to see if you
> have permissions. Network path not found.
>
> I have gone through Carey's instructions on all computers. I have also
> run
> the secpol.msc and on the deny access to this computer from the network, I
> have removed Everyone from that list. I can not run the secpol.msc from
> the
> XP Home machine. Is there another way to get into that feature? And how
> do
> I get the wireless machines able to access the wired?
>
> Thanks,
> David

=?Utf-8?B?ZGZhdG92aWM=?=

That did not work. I unshared everything from the wired machine, then
rebooted and shared it back. I still can not access from the wireless
machines, but I can access the wireless from the wired.

David

"Carey Holzman" wrote:

> Unshare everything on the backoffice PC, then re-share one thing and see if
> you can access it.
>
> Carey
>
> "dfatovic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am working on a network that 3 of the computers have wireless
> >connections,
> > and can see each other and work through file sharing. I also have a wired
> > computer on the network as well. From the wired computer I can see all
> > the
> > wireless, have access to all of them, and can access files. I can not
> > access
> > the wired computer from the wireless.
> >
> > All computers except one are running XP Pro SP2. The other wireless is an
> > XP Home machine. I have enabled file sharing and all are apart of the
> > same
> > workgroup. When I try to access the wired computer from the wireless I
> > get
> > an error that says: "\\backoffice is not accessible. You might not have
> > permission to use this resource. Contact your administrator to see if you
> > have permissions. Network path not found.
> >
> > I have gone through Carey's instructions on all computers. I have also
> > run
> > the secpol.msc and on the deny access to this computer from the network, I
> > have removed Everyone from that list. I can not run the secpol.msc from
> > the
> > XP Home machine. Is there another way to get into that feature? And how
> > do
> > I get the wireless machines able to access the wired?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > David

Carey Holzman

Try these trouble-shooting steps:
http://tinyurl.com/6v9cr

Carey

"dfatovic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That did not work. I unshared everything from the wired machine, then
> rebooted and shared it back. I still can not access from the wireless
> machines, but I can access the wireless from the wired.
>
> David
>
> "Carey Holzman" wrote:
>
>> Unshare everything on the backoffice PC, then re-share one thing and see
>> if
>> you can access it.
>>
>> Carey
>>
>> "dfatovic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I am working on a network that 3 of the computers have wireless
>> >connections,
>> > and can see each other and work through file sharing. I also have a
>> > wired
>> > computer on the network as well. From the wired computer I can see all
>> > the
>> > wireless, have access to all of them, and can access files. I can not
>> > access
>> > the wired computer from the wireless.
>> >
>> > All computers except one are running XP Pro SP2. The other wireless is
>> > an
>> > XP Home machine. I have enabled file sharing and all are apart of the
>> > same
>> > workgroup. When I try to access the wired computer from the wireless I
>> > get
>> > an error that says: "\\backoffice is not accessible. You might not
>> > have
>> > permission to use this resource. Contact your administrator to see if
>> > you
>> > have permissions. Network path not found.
>> >
>> > I have gone through Carey's instructions on all computers. I have also
>> > run
>> > the secpol.msc and on the deny access to this computer from the
>> > network, I
>> > have removed Everyone from that list. I can not run the secpol.msc
>> > from
>> > the
>> > XP Home machine. Is there another way to get into that feature? And
>> > how
>> > do
>> > I get the wireless machines able to access the wired?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > David

=?Utf-8?B?ZGZhdG92aWM=?=

Thanks Carey! The problem was the Macafee personal firewall.

David

"Carey Holzman" wrote:

> Try these trouble-shooting steps:
> http://tinyurl.com/6v9cr
>
> Carey
>
> "dfatovic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > That did not work. I unshared everything from the wired machine, then
> > rebooted and shared it back. I still can not access from the wireless
> > machines, but I can access the wireless from the wired.
> >
> > David
> >
> > "Carey Holzman" wrote:
> >
> >> Unshare everything on the backoffice PC, then re-share one thing and see
> >> if
> >> you can access it.
> >>
> >> Carey
> >>
> >> "dfatovic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news(E-Mail Removed)...

Carey Holzman

Glad to hear you got it figured out. Please sign my guestbook at
www.careyholzman.com (the link is in the lower-left corner).