Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Digital cameras

Digital cameras

Andrew

Cheers for the insite - its above my budget anyhow

"Peter Huebner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) .co.nz...
> In article <UzFZa.10627$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
> says...
> > The other camera i discovered today that looks good is the Panasonic

LC40 -
> > DSE have them at the moment from $1100 down to $900
> > Ok its above my pricerange, but its apparently got a good lens - better

then
> > the Nikon and the Canon

> There is serious doubt about these cameras. The story is, as far as I
> know it, that Panasonic and Leica cooperated on a range of digital
> cameras. Obviously, the Leica lenses are going to be superb, but there
> are a lot of pretty competent people out there who claim that the
> Panasonic pickups of those cameras produce an extraordinary amount of
> noise, also that they are not well tuned.
>
> This may well be why they are going so cheaply so often. (compared to
> other makes of similar specs - especially considering the Leica
> connection).
>
> One or two of those Panasonic cameras are more or less identical to the
> Leica branded ones. The Leica ones are said to be the absolutely fastest
> digital camera out. (delay between pressing the shutter and the camera
> snapping, and pause between shots) but the same caveat about the 'moisy'
> pickup applies.
>
> There have been incredible flamewars on that topic. While I was
> seriously considering the Leica initially I decided to stay clear and got
> an Oly in the end ...
>
> -P.
> --
>
> Please note munged reply address - delete the obvious ....

Disco Stu

I'm pleased with my Fuji A210 finepix - not that I've much experience to
compare it with other models. I've been told it takes good quality
pictures.

I purchased it based on reviews with competing products on www.dpreview.com

Andrew wrote:
> Im looking to buy a new digital camera to replaced the age old Agfa digital
> i bought 5 years ago...
>
> Im not a photo expert or anything, but do still want something decent that
> will last..
> My requirements are Optical zoom, probably 3x - I dont care about digital
> zoom
> The camera is not going to be used for images online so i think 2 mega pixel
> might not be enough, probably needs about 3
> Price range... $700 odd retail
>
> Currently choosing between:
> Canon A60 (2 mp, 3x optical)
> Canon A70 (3 mp, 3x optical, 100 more then the A60)
> Fuji Finpix A310 - dont know a large amount about this one yet, its just
> been suggested to me as it is well priced)
>
> does anyone care to give any suggestions on whats good and bad? - open to
> different brands/models
>
> Cheers
> Andrew

SNOman

You could try going to
http://www.expressgroup.co.nz/shop/p_dept.asp?Group=153 and have a look at
their prices. I bought a Finepix F410 off them just recently. It arrived the
day after ordering it. I am very happy with the camera, the real bonus being
the charging/download cradle it comes with, saves stuffing around with
cables so it's idiot proof for the wife

MarkH

"Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:zPSZa.10786$(E-Mail Removed):

> I couldnt get to that site, mighta be down, do you know if they are
> parallel importers? - i would rather avoid them type
>
> "G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ESFZa.10633$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Cheaper again from Auckland Camera, check they have got stock though,
>> sometimes you have to wait for them to get it in.
>>
>> http://www.aucklandcamera.com/digitalcanon.html

Site is working now, they aren’t parallel importers. They are one of those
proper camera shops that have been selling cameras since before digital.

If the site wont load, try refresh. For some reason I often get the
‘cannot find page’ message, then I refresh and it works fine.

I bought my Canon 10D from them because they are not parallel importers and
they are cheaper than E-Town (who are parallel importers).

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

Cheaper again from Auckland Camera, check they have got stock though,
sometimes you have to wait for them to get it in.

http://www.aucklandcamera.com/digitalcanon.html

news:UzFZa.10627$(E-Mail Removed)...
> $710 - thats cheap, where from?
>
> The other camera i discovered today that looks good is the Panasonic

LC40 -
> DSE have them at the moment from $1100 down to $900
> Ok its above my pricerange, but its apparently got a good lens - better

then
> the Nikon and the Canon
>

> "colinco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In article <jGCZa.10585$(E-Mail Removed)>, Andrew wrote...
> > > Price range... $700 odd retail
> > >
> > > Currently choosing between:
> > > Canon A60 (2 mp, 3x optical)
> > > Canon A70 (3 mp, 3x optical, 100 more then the A60)
> > > Fuji Finpix A310 - dont know a large amount about this one yet, its

just
> > > been suggested to me as it is well priced)
> > >
> > > does anyone care to give any suggestions on whats good and bad? - open

> > > different brands/models
> > >

> > The Canon A70 is about $710 retail now. Buy something else only if you
> > are sure it is better.

Sonn

news:jGCZa.10585$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Im looking to buy a new digital camera to replaced the age old Agfa

digital
> i bought 5 years ago...
>
> Im not a photo expert or anything, but do still want something decent that
> will last..
> My requirements are Optical zoom, probably 3x - I dont care about digital
> zoom
> The camera is not going to be used for images online so i think 2 mega

pixel
> might not be enough, probably needs about 3
> Price range... $700 odd retail
>
> Currently choosing between:
> Canon A60 (2 mp, 3x optical)
> Canon A70 (3 mp, 3x optical, 100 more then the A60)
> Fuji Finpix A310 - dont know a large amount about this one yet, its just
> been suggested to me as it is well priced)
>
> does anyone care to give any suggestions on whats good and bad? - open to
> different brands/models
>
> Cheers
> Andrew

If you want something that will last consider maybe spending a little more
for a Lumix (Panasonic), 8x optical zoom, with a Leica (German) optical
precision lens. Check it out at
http://www.panasonic.co.nz/web_conte...p?id=100006863 A little above your
price range I know, but Harvey Norman also have them, and you might be able
to pay some off or something. Brilliant quality pics.
S.

Andrew

I got to the site yesterday and they do have stock of the Canon A70 - and as
you said they are cheap!, so i bought one, It should be arriving
today/tomorrow

"MarkH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bh94kf$uil$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:zPSZa.10786$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I couldnt get to that site, mighta be down, do you know if they are
> > parallel importers? - i would rather avoid them type
> >
> > "G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:ESFZa.10633$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Cheaper again from Auckland Camera, check they have got stock though,
> >> sometimes you have to wait for them to get it in.
> >>
> >> http://www.aucklandcamera.com/digitalcanon.html

> Site is working now, they aren't parallel importers. They are one of

those
> proper camera shops that have been selling cameras since before digital.
>
> If the site wont load, try refresh. For some reason I often get the
> 'cannot find page' message, then I refresh and it works fine.
>
> I bought my Canon 10D from them because they are not parallel importers

and
> they are cheaper than E-Town (who are parallel importers).
>

> --
> Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
> See my pics at http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~markh/
> "There are 10 types of people, those that
> understand binary and those that don't"

colinco

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sonn wrote...
> If you want something that will last consider maybe spending a little more
> for a Lumix (Panasonic), 8x optical zoom, with a Leica (German) optical
> precision lens.

There is supposedly a lot of rebadging with lenses.
A common claim if you Google is

"This was exhaustively discussed on many forums. The advertising states
many things, still, the lens is identical to the ones sitting on Canon
G2, Casio, a HP model and some Sony cameras (branded there as "Zeiss").

All these lenses are made in Japan, maybe by Tamron.
One genuine Leica lens costs as much as the whole LC5 digicam.
So much for advertizing."

Paul Bealing

Chris wrote:
> Andrew wrote:
>

>>Im looking to buy a new digital camera to replaced the age old Agfa
>>digital i bought 5 years ago...
>>
>>Im not a photo expert or anything, but do still want something decent that
>>will last..
>>My requirements are Optical zoom, probably 3x - I dont care about digital
>>zoom
>>The camera is not going to be used for images online so i think 2 mega
>>pixel might not be enough, probably needs about 3
>>Price range... $700 odd retail
>>
>>Currently choosing between:
>>Canon A60 (2 mp, 3x optical)
>>Canon A70 (3 mp, 3x optical, 100 more then the A60)
>>Fuji Finpix A310 - dont know a large amount about this one yet, its just
>>been suggested to me as it is well priced)
>>
>>does anyone care to give any suggestions on whats good and bad? - open to
>>different brands/models
>>
>>Cheers
>>Andrew

> I just bought a Samsung Digimax v4 and it's way cool. A little pricier than
> you may be looking for at around $900 but it will come down for sure. Top
> quality lens and super easy to use.
>
> 3x optical & 4x Digital zoom. Can use a variety of different power sources,
> even has a car charger.
>
> Also comes with a 32 MB SD card (Wellington Photographics threw in a free 64
> MB card, and I got to keep the 32 MB card as well).
>
> I'm very happy with it.
>
> Chris.

I know someone who recently bought a Samsung V3. About $630 at the
moment from www.ascent.co.nz

Has taken some amazing pictures, even sone very closeup (macro) and
night shots. Quite a small camera, nice controls etc.

Regards
Paul Bealing

Andrew

Auckland Camera were good - It arrived the day after i paid for it
Very happy with them, and the camera is nice too - Still learning all the
fiddly bits though! - Pretty easy camera to use