Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Best way to share Jetstarter?

Best way to share Jetstarter?

back again

Does anyone here use software to load balance between several people
sharing the same jetstart connection (in a flatting situation for example),
so that each machine gets a slice of whatever bandwidth is available, and
no one gets to hog the lot?

How about load balancing two jetstream connections to several people?

I'm interested in hearing about Windows or Linux/BSD/whatever solutions.

Cheers,
Mark

Jay

back again wrote:

> Does anyone here use software to load balance between several people
> sharing the same jetstart connection (in a flatting situation for
> example), so that each machine gets a slice of whatever bandwidth is
> available, and no one gets to hog the lot?
>
> How about load balancing two jetstream connections to several people?
>
> I'm interested in hearing about Windows or Linux/BSD/whatever solutions.

Sharing a 128kbps between two people gives you not much
better than two 56kbps modems. So until proper broadband arrives in NZ
use two modems.

Gurble

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 00:59:27 +1000, Jay <(E-Mail Removed)> had this to
say:

>Sharing a 128kbps between two people gives you not much
>better than two 56kbps modems. So until proper broadband arrives in NZ
>use two modems.

Whilst the sentiment is sound, the concept is fatally flawed.

2 modems = 2 phone lines (or 3 if you want to actually use the phone
as well) + 2 lots of ISP charges.

Not a practical or economically viable solution when Jetstart is
available.

Rupert

oh duh!
like that will be cost effective... lets see

2xISP fees $40 each $80 a month
3xPhone Lines ( you need two, one for each modem, plus of course the line
for home you would be able to use with jetstream ) each $40 - not too sure
of the current Telecom fee but thats about right $120 a month

So for your solution, that went nowhere near answering the question asked is
a total of $200 a month where jetstream will cost you around $80

"Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bgtpgh$rhf19$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> back again wrote:
>
> > Does anyone here use software to load balance between several people
> > sharing the same jetstart connection (in a flatting situation for
> > example), so that each machine gets a slice of whatever bandwidth is
> > available, and no one gets to hog the lot?
> >
> > How about load balancing two jetstream connections to several people?
> >
> > I'm interested in hearing about Windows or Linux/BSD/whatever solutions.

> Sharing a 128kbps between two people gives you not much
> better than two 56kbps modems. So until proper broadband arrives in NZ
> use two modems.

Matthew Poole

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Robyn Nunn) wrote:
>On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 21:20:10 +0530, "Rupert" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:

*SNIP*
>Don't forget the data caps for Jetstarter. With 2+ people it won't
>take too long to use up 5 or 10GB of international data.

We share the 'net with three people here, one of whom admittedly is much
of a user, and it's a rare month that we break 1GB of traffic _TOTAL_.
Normally when I do something like a distupgrade on my debian box.

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

Matthew Poole

In article <bguarp$duv$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (Matthew Poole) wrote:
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (Robyn Nunn)
> wrote:

*SNIP*
>We share the 'net with three people here, one of whom admittedly is much

*SNIP*

That should've been "not much".

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around"

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

Robyn Nunn

wrote:

>oh duh!
>like that will be cost effective... lets see
>
>2xISP fees $40 each $80 a month
>3xPhone Lines ( you need two, one for each modem, plus of course the line
>for home you would be able to use with jetstream ) each $40 - not too sure
>of the current Telecom fee but thats about right $120 a month
>
>So for your solution, that went nowhere near answering the question asked is
>a total of $200 a month where jetstream will cost you around $80

Your ISP fees are a bit out - try $15-$25 per month.

Don't forget the data caps for Jetstarter. With 2+ people it won't
take too long to use up 5 or 10GB of international data.

Who is this

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Robyn Nunn) wrote:

> Don't forget the data caps for Jetstarter. With 2+ people it won't
> take too long to use up 5 or 10GB of international data.

Why, even with 200Mb+ of system updates I don't often break the 1G cap

Trouser

back again wrote:

> Does anyone here use software to load balance between several people
> sharing the same jetstart connection (in a flatting situation for
> example), so that each machine gets a slice of whatever bandwidth is
> available, and no one gets to hog the lot?
>
> How about load balancing two jetstream connections to several people?
>
> I'm interested in hearing about Windows or Linux/BSD/whatever solutions.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

I do know that a current beta version of ipcop (ipcop.org) will do load
balancing. There is also an add onn/hack on available now to add it to the
current version. Got an old 486 or pentium 100?
see: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ipcop-user

AD.

Jay wrote:

> Sharing a 128kbps between two people gives you not much
> better than two 56kbps modems. So until proper broadband arrives in NZ
> use two modems.

That is more accurate if both users are constantly maxing out their
connections by downloading largish files, but sharing 128k would be much
better for intermittant traffic eg websurfing, email etc.

That way the users get the benefits of using the 'gaps' in the other users
traffic.

Cheers
Anton