Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: SCAMSTERS "Domain Names NZ" at it again...

Re: SCAMSTERS "Domain Names NZ" at it again...

JB

The ****ing arseholes.

I received an invoice too believeing it was for renewal of my .co.nz domain.
2 years for $237. Phoned them - no reply.

Will probably tell the Police.

JB

bAZZ

"JB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eTlYa.9719$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The ****ing arseholes.
>
> I received an invoice too believeing it was for renewal of my .co.nz

domain.
> 2 years for $237. Phoned them - no reply.
>
> Will probably tell the Police.
>
> JB

Bastards alright !!!!

My girlfriend shouted me my own .co.nz domain a few months ago and seeing
the mail opened it and thought that it was a legitimate invoice. She was on
her way into town and said on phone to me she would pay my "internet thing
bill " *(her words!!)*. If I had not querried it she would have gone and
paid the pricks $237 for *.net.nz domain. I wonder how many ppl have fallen
for this scam.

Isn't illegal to do a whois to find someone who owns a domain and use the
info in this manner ? I am sure i read it somewhere when looking up the
owner of a domain recently (one of the few times I took time to read the
usual legal guff on a site).

bAZZ

paulsy

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 20:58:53 +1200, "bAZZ"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Isn't illegal to do a whois to find someone who owns a domain and use the
>info in this manner ? I am sure i read it somewhere when looking up the
>owner of a domain recently (one of the few times I took time to read the
>usual legal guff on a site).

I wonder what records they are looking up because they sent me a
letter, recently, offering me the 'co.nz' eqivalent of a '.com' domain
I used to own about a year ago. Of course I laughed at the $237 and
thought 'you cheeky arseholes' and screwed it up. You wouldn't get me
to pay for a overpriced 'co.nz' domain at normal prices when a US$8
'.com' name is just as good - for me anyway.

madknoxie

In article <RCoYa.108403$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"bAZZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Isn't illegal to do a whois to find someone who owns a domain and use the
> info in this manner ? I am sure i read it somewhere when looking up the
> owner of a domain recently (one of the few times I took time to read the
> usual legal guff on a site).

Not sure if it is illegal, but what they are doing is against many of
the rules set by the DNC (Domain name commissioner) - if you want to
provide registry services. As you say, they can't use whois info in the
manner they have. And they also can't target someone to sell them a
specific domain name.

"Bona fide .nz domain name registrars are not permitted to specify a
particular domain name in an offer of registry services." - DNC yesterday

--
madknoxie

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 17:56:54 +1200, JB wrote:

> The ****ing arseholes.
>
> I received an invoice too believeing it was for renewal of my .co.nz domain.
> 2 years for $237. Phoned them - no reply.
>
> Will probably tell the Police.

I think the words you need to use are "illegal proforma invoicing"