Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Mini-B USB cable

Mini-B USB cable

Mainlander

The Mini-B USB connector is used on some digital cameras.

How common are the cables or can they only be bought from camera makers?

Robert Mathews

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:43:52 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

>The Mini-B USB connector is used on some digital cameras.
>
>How common are the cables or can they only be bought from camera makers?

I have 2 Sony cameras and the use 2 different connectors, one is flat with 5
pins from memory..

Andrew

im pretty sure they can be sourced just from dse

My parents have a sony camera, and thier bird chewed through the cable, an
actual sony replacement was $89, a dse cable was $9 and works fine

"Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
> The Mini-B USB connector is used on some digital cameras.
>
> How common are the cables or can they only be bought from camera makers?

Mainlander

In article <aWCYa.109105$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> > The Mini-B USB connector is used on some digital cameras.
> >
> > How common are the cables or can they only be bought from camera makers?

> DSE have two types listed
>
> XH3362, A male to Mini USB 5 pin male
> XH3363, A male to Mini USB 4 pin male.
>
> Both 1.8 metres long and priced at $8.50 each.

You mean there is no standard mini connector?

PC

From: http://www.os2warp.be/os2/hardware/terminology.pdf

The USB Standards

The standard was developed by the USB Implementers Forum (Compaq,
Hewlett-Packard, Intel, Microsoft, NEC, Philips, etc.). Obviously, it
started on the PC; Mac supports it too.

There are two versions of the standard:

USB 1.1 (1995) defines two speeds: 12Mbps (full speed) and 1.5Mbps (low
speed) and two types of connectors: Series A and Series B.

USB 2.0 (April 2000) defines three speeds: 480Mbps (high speed), 12Mbps and
1.5Mbps. It is completely backwards compatible with USB 1.1. The
specification document is 650 pages long.

Shortly after USB 2.0 was released (October 2000), an Engineering Change
Notice (ECN) added Series mini-B connectors.

Cheers
Paul

PC

> So if there is a mini B then why is there a 4 pin and a 5 pin? Are there
> two types of mini B?

Google "USB mini plug"

http://www.cqpub.co.jp/dwm/article_e...TG_04_body.htm

PC