Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: EU Gives Microsoft Last Chance

Re: EU Gives Microsoft Last Chance

Herman Wouk

dOTdASH allegedly said:

> "Theodor Adorno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsan.2003.08.06.11.56.40.699340@aesthetictheor y.org...
>>
>> EU Officials Charge Microsoft
>> With Ongoing Antitrust Abuses
>>
>> August 6, 2003
>>
>> European Union antitrust regulators Wednesday charged Microsoft Corp.
>> with ongoing antitrust abuses and gave the company a final chance to
>> modify its software and business practices.

> snip
>
> Let's get real here. This is all about a rising tide of anti-Americanism
> within Europe. Apart from a few notable exceptions, Europe missed the boat
> when it came to building a huge software industry and they now see
> themselves as being at the mercy of the US. I can see another round of
> trade wars looming.

I disagree.

The EU suit against Microsoft has been underway as long as the US one was -
and was sparked by the same illegal practices.

The difference is that the EU doesn't have a corrupt President like G W Bush
who will tell the EU equivalent of the US Department of Justice to back off
- despite a guilty verdict.

Remember: Microsoft was found guilty in the US.

Bush theft of the 2000 elections allowed him to give MS a 'Get out of jail
free' card despite their conviction on 12 counts of illegal maintenance of
a monopoly.