Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: All the Lunix users, have you got you License..?

Re: All the Lunix users, have you got you License..?

Theodor Adorno

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 16:45:02 +1200, Mainlander wrote:

> In article <Mu5Ya.9588$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>> GraB allegedly said:
>>
>> > What does Linux Torvalds say on all the SCO stuff?

>> He says it's ****.
>>
>> SCO released linux source code under the GPL...and under the GPL, you
>> can't take it back.
>>
>> This is nothing more than a Microsoft-funded FUD campaign against
>> Linux. They worked on a deal for months - MS inked it and handed over
>> the cash - and within days SCO was raising Hell.

> Says who?

You haven't been following thise closely, have you.

Microsoft have made it their mission, this year, to undermine and smear
Open Source.

They can't compete on product and price - they have to play dirty.

That's why they were convicted of anti-trust violations in the US and are
soon the penalised in Europe as well.

They have a LONG history of fighting dirty.

http://news.com.com/2100-1016-1007528.html?tag=nl

May 18th, 2003

Microsoft's public disdain of Linux stretches back more than two years.

In March 2001, Microsoft Senior Vice President Craig Mundie said releasing
source code into the public domain is "unhealthy," causes security risks
and "as history has shown, while this type of model may have a place, it
isn't successful in building a mass market and making powerful,
easy-to-use software broadly accessible to consumers."

A few months later, in an interview with CNET News.com, Microsoft Chairman
Bill Gates sought to warn corporate users about the GNU General Public
License, which Linux is distributed under. "Some of our source codes are
out there and very available, like Windows CE," Gates said. "Some
generally require a license, like Windows itself. We have no objection to
free software, which has been around forever. But we do think there are
problems for commercial users relative to the GPL, and we are just making
sure people understand the GPL.

"Unfortunately, that has been misconstrued in many ways. It's a topic that
you can leap on and say, 'Microsoft doesn't make free software.' Hey, we
have free software; the world will always have free software. I mean, if
you characterize it that way, that's not right. But if you say to people,
'Do you understand the GPL?' And they'll say, 'Huh?' And they're pretty
stunned when the Pac-Man-like nature of it is described to them."

May 24th, 2003

CNET | NEWS.COM WEEK IN REVIEW
The Entire Tech Week in a Single E-mail May 24, 2003

Microsoft surprised the tech world by agreeing to license cash-strapped
SCO Group's Unix technology, which is at the heart of a copyright fight
over Linux.

The software giant announced that it will license SCO's Unix patents and
the source code, which is at the heart of a $1 billion lawsuit between SCO
and IBM. Big Blue, which is a major backer of Linux as an open-source
alternative to Microsoft's Windows, has dismissed SCO's claims and says it
has a valid license to Unix technology.

Microsoft has repeatedly labeled Linux as a threat, partly because of its
low cost. The license ensures that Microsoft's software complies with
SCO's intellectual-property rights and that the company can ensure
compatibility with Unix software, according to a Microsoft representative.

The licensing agreement lends heavyweight backing to SCO's
intellectual-property claims and helps Microsoft combat Linux, a growing
marketplace threat to its operating system. The deal also appears to lend
credence to SCO's charges that large parts of Unix source code have been
copied into Linux. Microsoft's move may have a snowball effect, causing
other companies to also strike licensing pacts with SCO.

The general manager of SCO's intellectual-property division said that the
Microsoft licensing agreement reflects the strength of its
intellectual-property suit against IBM. Other industry experts said the
Microsoft deal might be more notable for its public relations value. "The
announcement really serves two purposes," one analyst said. "First, it
temporarily allows Microsoft to steal the moral higher ground from its
Linux competitors; and second, it's a big fork in the eye to IBM."

June 5th, 2003

C-Net News

If there was any lingering doubt about how a lousy economy is doing
wonders for open source, Ballmer's latest distillation of the thinking of
Microsoft's senior leadership clears it up, suggesting that Linux has
transmogrified from a mere annoyance to a major pain in the posterior. By
comparison, consider last year's missive, in which Ballmer focused on
everything but Linux and open source. This year, the first references
appeared in the seventh paragraph of a nine-page document.

Now that he's got it down on paper, Ballmer needs to convince customers
that "integrated innovation" from Microsoft trumps the grab bag offered up
by the community software model. That, at least, used to be the
conventional wisdom when the penguinistas got started. A lot has changed
since then.

Charlie Cooper, Executive Editor/Commentary

Jay

Mainlander wrote:

> In article <bgsqtn$s3vvi$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>> Mainlander wrote:
>>
>> > In article <Mu5Ya.9588$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>> > says...

>> > Says who?

>> SCO and Microsoft.

> Give some references.

www.microsoft.com
www.sco.com

Mainlander

In article <bgt8ed$sc3lt$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Mainlander wrote:
>
> > In article <bgsqtn$s3vvi$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, (E-Mail Removed)
> > says...

> >> SCO and Microsoft.

> > Give some references.

> www.microsoft.com
> www.sco.com

Can't see anything on these pages.

Quote some web sites that mention these thing, put up or shut up.

Jay

Mainlander wrote:

> In article <bgt8ed$sc3lt$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>> Mainlander wrote:
>>
>> > In article <bgsqtn$s3vvi$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
>> > (E-Mail Removed) says...

>> > Give some references.

>> www.microsoft.com
>> www.sco.com

> Can't see anything on these pages.
>
> Quote some web sites that mention these thing, put up or shut up.

You obviously didn't read the SCO press releases.

Mainlander

In article <bh1sd9$u0l2m$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Mainlander wrote:
>
> > In article <bgt8ed$sc3lt$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, (E-Mail Removed)
> > says...

> >> www.microsoft.com
> >> www.sco.com

> > Can't see anything on these pages.
> >
> > Quote some web sites that mention these thing, put up or shut up.

> You obviously didn't read the SCO press releases.

Give some URLs to them.