Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > TradeMe strangeness

TradeMe strangeness

JD

I was bidding on an item and found myself up against an auto-bidder in
the last few minutes of the auction. The item was well past reserve.I
kept going over about ten bids, each time being immediately outbid
until I gave up. Then, bugger me, I get an email from TradeMe within
minutes, telling me that the item is now on offer for three days at
the last bid price.

There was not even time for the seller to determine that he had a dud
top bidder, so I am wondering whether his plan was to use a mate on
auto-bid to push the under-buyer to top dollar, then the mate moves
away, as it was always known he was going to, and the under-buyer is
hopefully scooped up at best possible price.

Am I being paranoid, or could there be another explanation for this?

JD

Dave

Hi JD do you have an auction number?

Ardz

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was bidding on an item and found myself up against an auto-bidder in
> the last few minutes of the auction. The item was well past reserve.I
> kept going over about ten bids, each time being immediately outbid
> until I gave up. Then, bugger me, I get an email from TradeMe within
> minutes, telling me that the item is now on offer for three days at
> the last bid price.
>
> There was not even time for the seller to determine that he had a dud
> top bidder, so I am wondering whether his plan was to use a mate on
> auto-bid to push the under-buyer to top dollar, then the mate moves
> away, as it was always known he was going to, and the under-buyer is
> hopefully scooped up at best possible price.
>
> Am I being paranoid, or could there be another explanation for this?
>
> JD

Mauricio Freitas

"Dogg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:26:15 +1200, JD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I was bidding on an item and found myself up against an auto-bidder in
> >the last few minutes of the auction. The item was well past reserve.I
> >kept going over about ten bids, each time being immediately outbid
> >until I gave up. Then, bugger me, I get an email from TradeMe within
> >minutes, telling me that the item is now on offer for three days at
> >the last bid price.
> >
> >There was not even time for the seller to determine that he had a dud
> >top bidder, so I am wondering whether his plan was to use a mate on
> >auto-bid to push the under-buyer to top dollar, then the mate moves
> >away, as it was always known he was going to, and the under-buyer is
> >hopefully scooped up at best possible price.
> >
> >Am I being paranoid, or could there be another explanation for this?
> >
> >JD

> I thought that if someone won the bidding they were then obliged to
> purchase the item but I suppose it doesn't always work out that
> way.........kinda sucks ass really.

Yes, and only after a few days the owner can offer the object again. So the
story is strange: beyond reserve, immediate offer. Strange.

--
Mauricio Freitas
Handhelds, mobile: http://www.geekzone.co.nz or

JD

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 16:15:00 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I was bidding on an item and found myself up against an auto-bidder in
>> the last few minutes of the auction. The item was well past reserve.I
>> kept going over about ten bids, each time being immediately outbid
>> until I gave up. Then, bugger me, I get an email from TradeMe within
>> minutes, telling me that the item is now on offer for three days at
>> the last bid price.
>>
>> There was not even time for the seller to determine that he had a dud
>> top bidder, so I am wondering whether his plan was to use a mate on
>> auto-bid to push the under-buyer to top dollar, then the mate moves
>> away, as it was always known he was going to, and the under-buyer is
>> hopefully scooped up at best possible price.
>>
>> Am I being paranoid, or could there be another explanation for this?
>>

>JD, you say the item was well past reserve. How come it came up on offer
>then? The highest bid wins, it shouldn't have an offer.

Yes, that's the strange part. The reserve was $35 - the highest offer
was $95.

JD

Brett Cooper

It does seem a little bit strange. I would reject the offer and wait for
the item to be relisted. The seller might also have more than one of these
items and is offering it to the other bidders. But I think it does look
fuzzy..

Brett

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 18:23:00 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 16:51:16 +1200, "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi JD do you have an auction number?
>> >
>> >Ardz

>> Auction 5023166
>>

>It might be that someone bids, do not complete the sale, fee is refunded,
>but the seller gets a lot of names of interested parties, then offer to each
>one. I don't know, all speculation from my part of course.
>
>I think you saw the Trademe comment on this seller:
>http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/a...asp?id=3932179

JD

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 16:51:16 +1200, "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi JD do you have an auction number?
>> >
>> >Ardz

>> Auction 5023166
>>

>It might be that someone bids, do not complete the sale, fee is refunded,
>but the seller gets a lot of names of interested parties, then offer to each
>one. I don't know, all speculation from my part of course.

Good thought, but it was offered to interested parties *4 seconds*
after it had a winning bid three times the reserve.

JD

Howard

Mauricio Freitas wrote:
> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 16:51:16 +1200, "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi JD do you have an auction number?
>>>
>>> Ardz

>> Auction 5023166
>>

> It might be that someone bids, do not complete the sale, fee is
> refunded, but the seller gets a lot of names of interested parties,
> then offer to each one. I don't know, all speculation from my part of
> course.

As a TradeMe regular, I would say this is quite unusual, and a vendor &
bidder in cahoots would be the only explnation I could think of.

If the winning bidder does not complete the sale, the seller won't know this
for several days, and TradeMe will give the bidder a final warning procedure
wich lasts a mminimum of 5 days. Definitely no normal way this can happen
after only a few seconds. In fact 4 seconds is such a short timeframe on the
web interface that it would be difficult for a human to achieve such a quick
turnaround, having to click so any screens, and all.

Still, my most likely explanation of what has happened is the phatom bidder
bid you up, and then the seller withdrew the [phantom] lead bidder. A proper
withdrawal is normally only done on request, in which case the request would
be visible in the comments section of that auction.

As and aside, this can also be played against an honest auto bidder. If a
normal bidder and an (earlier) autobidder bid the same amount for an item,
the autobidders amount will be displayed. An unscupulous seller can use a
phantom bidder, bidding at the minimum bid increment, to force the bid up.
While the autobid has room to go, the phantom bidder's bid is placed at that
minimum bid increment amount, and the autobidder's bid is recored at the
next highest minimum bid amount. When the autobid is equalled, the normal
bidder's bid is not recoreded, and only the autobidder's bid for that amount
is displayed. The unscrupulous seller has thus identified the maximum the
autobidder was willing to pay. For this reason when I autobid, I always bid
with a random odd number of cents as my maximum bid to reduce the likelyhood
of this problem.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/0...on-5023166.htm

~misfit~

"Mauricio Freitas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xi0Ya.9499$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Dogg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:26:15 +1200, JD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >I was bidding on an item and found myself up against an auto-bidder in
> > >the last few minutes of the auction. The item was well past reserve.I
> > >kept going over about ten bids, each time being immediately outbid
> > >until I gave up. Then, bugger me, I get an email from TradeMe within
> > >minutes, telling me that the item is now on offer for three days at
> > >the last bid price.
> > >
> > >There was not even time for the seller to determine that he had a dud
> > >top bidder, so I am wondering whether his plan was to use a mate on
> > >auto-bid to push the under-buyer to top dollar, then the mate moves
> > >away, as it was always known he was going to, and the under-buyer is
> > >hopefully scooped up at best possible price.
> > >
> > >Am I being paranoid, or could there be another explanation for this?
> > >
> > >JD

> > I thought that if someone won the bidding they were then obliged to
> > purchase the item but I suppose it doesn't always work out that
> > way.........kinda sucks ass really.

> Yes, and only after a few days the owner can offer the object again. So

the
> story is strange: beyond reserve, immediate offer. Strange.

The seller might have had more than one item?
--
~misfit~

---

~misfit~

"Mauricio Freitas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:W81Ya.9510$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 16:51:16 +1200, "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Hi JD do you have an auction number?
> > >
> > >Ardz

> > Auction 5023166
> >

> It might be that someone bids, do not complete the sale, fee is refunded,
> but the seller gets a lot of names of interested parties, then offer to

each
> one. I don't know, all speculation from my part of course.
>
> I think you saw the Trademe comment on this seller:
> http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/a...asp?id=3932179

Also the trader has quite a few similar items up for auction. Looks like an
importer/dealer?
--
~misfit~

---

Gavin Tunney

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:26:15 +1200, JD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I was bidding on an item and found myself up against an auto-bidder in
>the last few minutes of the auction. The item was well past reserve.I
>kept going over about ten bids, each time being immediately outbid
>until I gave up. Then, bugger me, I get an email from TradeMe within
>minutes, telling me that the item is now on offer for three days at
>the last bid price.
>
>There was not even time for the seller to determine that he had a dud
>top bidder, so I am wondering whether his plan was to use a mate on
>auto-bid to push the under-buyer to top dollar, then the mate moves
>away, as it was always known he was going to, and the under-buyer is
>hopefully scooped up at best possible price.
>
>Am I being paranoid, or could there be another explanation for this?
>
>JD

It's common practice for dealers on Trademe to offer goods to the next
highest bidder, especially when the bids get way up there. Usually it
just means they have more than one of that item, I think but am not
sure they can also avoid Trademe fees that way. The alacrity with
which the offer was made suggests the price was way over the top &
seller was falling over himself to make a few extra dollars. Judging
by your reaction I'd say he blew it.

Gavin

VLAN strangeness PabloFiasko Cisco 0 06-01-2005 09:05 AM
Bookmarks Strangeness Drude Firefox 0 01-26-2005 01:28 AM
OT: Friday strangeness Ken Briscoe MCSE 6 05-30-2004 08:19 AM
Strangeness in bookmarks are still occurring Keith Bowes Firefox 0 01-06-2004 11:18 PM
autoincrement strangeness - please help! Munnki Perl 2 12-18-2003 10:51 PM

Advertisments