Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > TradeMe strangeness

TradeMe strangeness

On Trademe, a seller can make offer to other bidder the moment the
auction is finished.

If may not be the seller team up with a dud bidder to push up prices,
it could be he got multiple unit of the same item. So he just want to
do the bidders a favour?

Just a guess. What do you think?

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:26:15 +1200, JD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I was bidding on an item and found myself up against an auto-bidder in
>the last few minutes of the auction. The item was well past reserve.I
>kept going over about ten bids, each time being immediately outbid
>until I gave up. Then, bugger me, I get an email from TradeMe within
>minutes, telling me that the item is now on offer for three days at
>the last bid price.
>
>There was not even time for the seller to determine that he had a dud
>top bidder, so I am wondering whether his plan was to use a mate on
>auto-bid to push the under-buyer to top dollar, then the mate moves
>away, as it was always known he was going to, and the under-buyer is
>hopefully scooped up at best possible price.
>
>Am I being paranoid, or could there be another explanation for this?
>
>JD

Max

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 23:20:02 +1200, "~misfit~"
<misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote:

>"Mauricio Freitas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:W81Ya.9510$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > Auction 5023166
>> >

>> It might be that someone bids, do not complete the sale, fee is refunded,
>> but the seller gets a lot of names of interested parties, then offer to

>each
>> one. I don't know, all speculation from my part of course.
>>
>> I think you saw the Trademe comment on this seller:
>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/a...asp?id=3932179

>Also the trader has quite a few similar items up for auction. Looks like an
>importer/dealer?

They are possibly illegal (eg they don't have permission from the
manufacturer to sell in nz). You should probably alert trade me,
although you could be waiting a while..

Howard

Max wrote:

> They are possibly illegal (eg they don't have permission from the
> manufacturer to sell in nz). You should probably alert trade me,
> although you could be waiting a while..

Huh? Since when do you need 'permission' from a manufactuer to sell goods.

If you can buy them legally, you can sell them legally. That's the whole
point of the parrallel import laws.

Howard

Gavin Tunney wrote:

> It's common practice for dealers on Trademe to offer goods to the next
> highest bidder, especially when the bids get way up there. Usually it
> just means they have more than one of that item, I think but am not
> sure they can also avoid Trademe fees that way. The alacrity with
> which the offer was made suggests the price was way over the top &
> seller was falling over himself to make a few extra dollars. Judging
> by your reaction I'd say he blew it.

I don't think it's common at all. TradeMe don't offer that ability if the
auction's highest bid was greater than reserve.

Max

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 13:19:32 +1200, "Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Max wrote:
>
>> They are possibly illegal (eg they don't have permission from the
>> manufacturer to sell in nz). You should probably alert trade me,
>> although you could be waiting a while..

>Huh? Since when do you need 'permission' from a manufactuer to sell goods.
>
>If you can buy them legally, you can sell them legally. That's the whole
>point of the parrallel import laws.

If you import them into NZ, you need a license according to customs.
These goods may be counterfit. Did you see the Border Control program
where people were importing nike shoes and watches illegally, and they
also ended up being counterfit. Not too sure how the parallel import
rules go, but I know that manufactuers don't like them.

Gavin Tunney

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 13:21:44 +1200, "Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Gavin Tunney wrote:
>
>> It's common practice for dealers on Trademe to offer goods to the next
>> highest bidder, especially when the bids get way up there. Usually it
>> just means they have more than one of that item, I think but am not
>> sure they can also avoid Trademe fees that way. The alacrity with
>> which the offer was made suggests the price was way over the top &
>> seller was falling over himself to make a few extra dollars. Judging
>> by your reaction I'd say he blew it.

>I don't think it's common at all. TradeMe don't offer that ability if the
>auction's highest bid was greater than reserve.

Yes they do. You just use the option for a deal not going thru, let's
you offer the item to another bidder.

It's common with the characters out for as much as they can get. If
you put an item up twice (or more) then you'll split the bidding &
neither auction will go as high as for a single item. So they put one
auction up, the bidders fight for it, the price goes higher... and
then they offer the other other item to the losing bidder at the high
price.

Gavin

SteveM

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Gavin Tunney) wrote in news:3f3bd523.4371007
@news.xtra.co.nz:

> On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 13:21:44 +1200, "Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Gavin Tunney wrote:
>>
>>> It's common practice for dealers on Trademe to offer goods to the

next
>>> highest bidder, especially when the bids get way up there. Usually it
>>> just means they have more than one of that item, I think but am not
>>> sure they can also avoid Trademe fees that way. The alacrity with
>>> which the offer was made suggests the price was way over the top &
>>> seller was falling over himself to make a few extra dollars. Judging
>>> by your reaction I'd say he blew it.

>>I don't think it's common at all. TradeMe don't offer that ability if

the
>>auction's highest bid was greater than reserve.
>>

> Yes they do. You just use the option for a deal not going thru, let's
> you offer the item to another bidder.
>
> It's common with the characters out for as much as they can get. If
> you put an item up twice (or more) then you'll split the bidding &
> neither auction will go as high as for a single item. So they put one
> auction up, the bidders fight for it, the price goes higher... and
> then they offer the other other item to the losing bidder at the high
> price.
>
> Gavin

There is a time delay for that process. Certainly more than 4 seconds as
stated in the OP.

SteveM

VLAN strangeness PabloFiasko Cisco 0 06-01-2005 09:05 AM
Bookmarks Strangeness Drude Firefox 0 01-26-2005 01:28 AM
OT: Friday strangeness Ken Briscoe MCSE 6 05-30-2004 08:19 AM
Strangeness in bookmarks are still occurring Keith Bowes Firefox 0 01-06-2004 11:18 PM
autoincrement strangeness - please help! Munnki Perl 2 12-18-2003 10:51 PM

Advertisments