Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Tastech in Christchurch

Tastech in Christchurch

Mainlander

Anyone had dealings with them? What do you think of their service?

Scott

"Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> Anyone had dealings with them? What do you think of their service?

I sent them an enqiry a while back about a product they were selling. Never
got a reply. Obviously didn't want my money so I spent it elsewhere.

Robert Mathews

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:38:39 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

>Anyone had dealings with them? What do you think of their service?

What is wrong with Dragon PC..

Robert Mathews

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:19:56 +1200, "Scott" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) .nz...
>> Anyone had dealings with them? What do you think of their service?

>I sent them an enqiry a while back about a product they were selling. Never
>got a reply. Obviously didn't want my money so I spent it elsewhere.

Same here, try Dragon PC..

Richard Grevers

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 12:49:33 +1200, Robert Mathews <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:38:39 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
>
>> Anyone had dealings with them? What do you think of their service?

> What is wrong with Dragon PC..

Lets see, they don't reply to emails (I wanted to spend $1200), don't
answer the phone or reply to answerphone messages, and you can sit in their
living, er, waiting room for 25 minutes and watch them not deal with one of
the 10 people ahead of you...

And a friend just spent 3 weeks waiting for Tastech to repair her PC, plus
they gave no support on the three CD-ROM drives that have suffered
exploding CD's so far this year.

Mainlander

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, newsreply4
@dramatic.co.nz.invalid says...
> On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 12:49:33 +1200, Robert Mathews <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:38:39 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone had dealings with them? What do you think of their service?

> > What is wrong with Dragon PC..
> >

> Lets see, they don't reply to emails (I wanted to spend $1200), don't
> answer the phone or reply to answerphone messages, and you can sit in their
> living, er, waiting room for 25 minutes and watch them not deal with one of
> the 10 people ahead of you...
>
> And a friend just spent 3 weeks waiting for Tastech to repair her PC, plus
> they gave no support on the three CD-ROM drives that have suffered
> exploding CD's so far this year.

Exploding CDs can be caused by cracks in the hub ring, is that ruled out?

Mainlander

In article <U0ZXa.107053$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> > Anyone had dealings with them? What do you think of their service?

> Got some kit from them awhile ago and was pleased with the service and
> delivery. Emailed me that there was a delay of a week with sourcing some
> bits but it all arrived 3 days later. Well packaged etc etc. I changed my
> mind and order a couple of times and they resent new quotes promptly. I
> believe it is a one man operation ( Grant ?) and may well have fallen into
> the same problems pp.co.nz had awhile back with being swamped with orders
> but you would expect a reply to email though.

I emailed them about purchasing a memory stick, they replied promptly to
the original enquiry on Monday but haven't replied since to follow up (ie
where is your shop, do you have to order it in? must be too small an
order

Max

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:30:40 +1200, Richard Grevers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:20:26 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, newsreply4
>> @dramatic.co.nz.invalid says...

>>> Lets see, they don't reply to emails (I wanted to spend $1200), don't
>>> answer the phone or reply to answerphone messages, and you can sit in
>>> their living, er, waiting room for 25 minutes and watch them not deal
>>> with one of the 10 people ahead of you...
>>>
>>> And a friend just spent 3 weeks waiting for Tastech to repair her PC,
>>> plus they gave no support on the three CD-ROM drives that have suffered
>>> exploding CD's so far this year.

>> Exploding CDs can be caused by cracks in the hub ring, is that ruled out?
>>

>I think that each time both the CD manufacturer and drive manufacturer
>denied any responsibility and blamed the other. In one case the CD was the
>WindowsXP install CD, which ought to be on a reasonable quality substrate.
>The advice I've heard is "don't install a drive faster than 32x - all the
>faster drives are subject to explosion because they stress the media too
>much" - and after all, how many people actually NEED that sort of data
>transfer speed? The trouble is, of course that slower drives have gone out
>of production.

Maybe use a DVD drive or DVD writer, although I don't know what speed
they are up to these days.

Paul Wilkins

Max wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:30:40 +1200, Richard Grevers
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I think that each time both the CD manufacturer and drive
>> manufacturer denied any responsibility and blamed the other. In one
>> case the CD was the WindowsXP install CD, which ought to be on a
>> reasonable quality substrate. The advice I've heard is "don't
>> install a drive faster than 32x - all the faster drives are subject
>> to explosion because they stress the media too much" - and after
>> all, how many people actually NEED that sort of data transfer speed?
>> The trouble is, of course that slower drives have gone out of
>> production.

> Maybe use a DVD drive or DVD writer, although I don't know what speed
> they are up to these days.

Or you could just use some of that free software that's out there to
slow down the spin speed of the drives . . .

--
Paul Wilkins

rubber

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:38:39 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

>Anyone had dealings with them? What do you think of their service?

I purchased a motherboard, ram, CPU & SCSI card off him about 14
months ago when my own system packed up. I called Friday morning, he
said would call back on availability of Scsi card. Called me on my
cell phone as I was getting into my car a couple minutes later saying
he could get it. The gear arrived Monday morning in Whangarei.
Naturally I was very happy and saved $500 ($1300 vs $1800) instead of
buying locally. This after calling in at one local shop and asking a
quote. They called back 2 weeks later when the sales guy got back from
holiday! Way too slack!

Rubber