Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: linux questions

Re: linux questions

Gordon

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 06:39:55 +0000, Steve Robertson wrote:

> A few linux questions. Ive having a play with a few disro CD's on my spare PC.
> Whats the best/most robust file system, etx2,3 resizer etc. Linux has
> a rep of getting upset if you dont shut it down correctly, I toasted Mandrake
> by shutting down with the power button, is Linux this fragile??
> Can I use a fat32 file system??
> I like KDE but I dont like how slow it is.

I have a old machine, 233Mhz and 64MB of ram on which win98 works okay,
while KDE (MDK 9.1) having one take a coffee break between changing
programmes.

KDE and GUI in general consume clock cycles and memory. Getting rid of the
GUI brings the speed up to good.

> What is the reasoning of using Konqueror
> as a file browser, its like having to start up netscape in win.

One tool does it all, which is very windows. The *nix philosophy is to
make one tool which does one thing, but does it very well. Call on tools
as required.

Surely a web browser
> is a stupid choice for the default local file browser.
> What are similar style(ie Win lookalike)
> window managers that run faster??

Icewm etc.

AD.

Gordon wrote:

> I have a old machine, 233Mhz and 64MB of ram on which win98 works okay,
> while KDE (MDK 9.1) having one take a coffee break between changing
> programmes.

You probably already know this, but KDE 1.1 from roughly the same period
would probably be faster than Win98 on that machine. Complaining Mandrake
9.1 is slow on a 233/64 machine is like complaining XP is too slow on that
machine.

>> What is the reasoning of using Konqueror
>> as a file browser, its like having to start up netscape in win.

> One tool does it all, which is very windows. The *nix philosophy is to
> make one tool which does one thing, but does it very well. Call on tools
> as required.
>
> Surely a web browser
>> is a stupid choice for the default local file browser.

Actually it isn't like that underneath (Windows isn't either). Konqueror is
really just a GUI container that embeds other components when needed. When
it is looking at a webpage, it loads khtml to render it. khtml is what
Apple used for its new browser. When Konq is looking at filesystems or
other things, it isn't running the html rendering code.

>> What are similar style(ie Win lookalike)
>> window managers that run faster??

> Icewm etc.

Icewm is nice - I also like blackbox.

Cheers
Anton

Steve Robertson

Just an update to the original post
I reinstalled Mandrake, added some ram, setup the install option
to workstation only, was more picky about what installed & what services
ran on startup.
It now runs like a dream. Probhably the extra ram, I'll try taking it out to confirm this.

I still would like to know how to give a user root acess rights (just to save time while I'm
learning, I'm trying to fit it into my lunchtime).The hard stuff is coming up next (automounting
a USB pen/flash drive).

lily

"Steve Robertson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just an update to the original post
> I reinstalled Mandrake, added some ram, setup the install option
> to workstation only, was more picky about what installed & what services
> ran on startup.
> It now runs like a dream. Probhably the extra ram, I'll try taking it out

to confirm this.

> I still would like to know how to give a user root acess rights (just to

save time while I'm
> learning, I'm trying to fit it into my lunchtime).The hard stuff is coming

up next (automounting
> a USB pen/flash drive).

Heres a link for you.
http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/adm...ot2.html#kdesu

kdesu is new to me, must try it

There is also a graphic front end for sudo called gnome-sudo