Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Plastation modchip installers

Plastation modchip installers

Robert Mathews

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 09:25:21 +1200, Malcolm Moore <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 23:00:41 +1200, Robert Mathews
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:39:59 +1200, "MorrisTheCat" <MorrisTheCat@MorrisTheCat>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Illegal in what sense? All registered ESTs earn their living repairing
>>>equipment that uses mains electricity. They are required to be registered by
>>>law or they are prosecuted. They also must bring attention to the public of
>>>the danger of a person who believes they are above the law, remains
>>>unregistered and therefore illegally collects money as reward for repair
>>>work while there is a very real possibility that that work could result in
>>>electrocution and death since requisite refresher courses for safety testing
>>>etc are not being done.
>>>

>>And does that count the 100 or more PC repairers in this these news groups,
>>are you going to report them as they stated many many times that have No
>>Formal training at all or and form of registration..
>>
>>They seem to think they don't need it but they do if you know the Regs..
>>
>>.Have you ever worked to AID standards or with Guided Missiles..?
>>

>Once again Roger demonstrates his abysmal knowledge of NZ regulations
>and electrical safety in general.
>
>Registration and a current Practising License are required to carry
>out prescibed electrical work. However the regulations also define
>what is not such work.
>
>Section 17.2(b) states
>

>(2)The following work is deemed not to be prescribed electrical work:
>
>(b)Repairs or adjustments to works, electrical installations,
>fittings, or electrical appliances or the replacement of extra-low
>voltage or mechanical fittings in electrical installations or
>electrical appliances, provided (in each case) that the work can be
>undertaken without removing any screens, covers, or the like designed
>to prevent inadvertent contact with fittings intended to be supplied
>at voltages above extra-low voltage:
>
>The EWRB has previously stated this section covers personal computers
>so long as all mains circuitry is covered by screens etc.

Funny all AT type cases have a main switch that is not covered or fully
Insulated, Plus most PC repairers open up the Cases to replace the Fan etc..

So go check on how many PC repairers are registered, very very few you will
find.

>The regulations and acts are available at
>
>http://www.legislation.govt.nz/
>
>The requirement to be registered is not limited to doing work for
>reward. An unregistered person can repair their own, or a near
>relatives appliances, but no one elses.
>
>Regards
>Malcolm.

Robert Mathews

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 12:05:43 +1200, Malcolm Moore <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Fri, 09 May 2003 11:40:55 +1200, Robert Mathews
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>So Please tell me how does this affect a Plummer or a Gas Fitter, you do not
>>have a clue into what I do and even if I am retired.
>>

>>Plus its none of you Business.
>>

>Given there has been a recent thread on nz.tech with the subject line
>"TV failure" in which you have stated:
>
>>> No I don't you do, as you all do not know a thing about servicing and I

>>have
>>> been in it for some 40 years..

>And
>
>>I had a talk to another service mate tonight and he could not believe your
>>rantings, you just don't know how a TV repair shop works at all.

>And
>
>>And that is all the service Shops around here as I have worked for them all.

>And in another thread about RCD's
>
>>I know as I had to fix a Stereo from them, new dial lamps, and found the
>>mains cord was bare in some places..

>I think everyone knows exactly what your current employment is.
>
>regards
>Malcolm.

No one in these news groups believes a thing in what I have posted, so more
fool you..

Robert Mathews

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 12:30:31 +1200, Malcolm Moore <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Fri, 09 May 2003 11:45:38 +1200, Robert Mathews
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Funny all AT type cases have a main switch that is not covered or fully
>>Insulated, Plus most PC repairers open up the Cases to replace the Fan etc..

>If the switch is "screened or covered" then registration is not
>required. If it is not covered then work should be performed by a
>registered person.
>The EWRB statement follows, it is part of

THE SWITCH IS BARE, DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORD BARE..?

PLUS REMOVING THE CASE COVER TO REPLACE THE FAN..

>http://www.med.govt.nz/ewrb/pdf/elink/update200102.pdf
>
>"Registration is required for the carrying out of
>prescribed electrical work and working on an
>electrical appliance such as a computer is deemed not
>to be within this category provided that the work can
>be undertaken without removing screens, covers, or the
>like designed to prevent inadvertent contact with fittings
>intended to be supplied at voltages above extra low
>voltage. Refer to regulation 17 2(b).
>In a practical sense this means that, except for the
>power supply module, most work on a computer is not
>prescribed electrical work."
>

>>So go check on how many PC repairers are registered, very very few you will
>>find.

>Indeed, but then they don't usually need to be.

YES THEY DO.

SEEMS TO ME THAT YOU WISH TO TURN A BLIND EYE TO THIS ABUSE OF THE
REGULATIONS..?

>Regards
>Malcolm.

Malcolm Moore

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 12:53:30 +1200, Robert Mathews
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>No one in these news groups believes a thing in what I have posted, so more
>fool you..

lol

Regards
Malcolm.

Malcolm Moore

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 12:57:35 +1200, Robert Mathews
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 12:30:31 +1200, Malcolm Moore <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 09 May 2003 11:45:38 +1200, Robert Mathews
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>Funny all AT type cases have a main switch that is not covered or fully
>>>Insulated, Plus most PC repairers open up the Cases to replace the Fan etc..

>>If the switch is "screened or covered" then registration is not
>>required. If it is not covered then work should be performed by a
>>registered person.
>>The EWRB statement follows, it is part of

>THE SWITCH IS BARE, DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORD BARE..?

If you came across one where the switch terminals were bare then you
should have replaced the cover and refused to work on it because you
are not a registered and licensed worker.
In my experience the switch and its contacts were usually covered with
large diameter heatshrink tubing.

>PLUS REMOVING THE CASE COVER TO REPLACE THE FAN..

Opening the psu to replace a fan needs to be done by a registered
person. I have never said otherwise.

snip

>>>So go check on how many PC repairers are registered, very very few you will
>>>find.

>>Indeed, but then they don't usually need to be.

>YES THEY DO.

Not usually, according to the EWRB. See my previously posted link.

>SEEMS TO ME THAT YOU WISH TO TURN A BLIND EYE TO THIS ABUSE OF THE
>REGULATIONS..?

I have never turned a blind eye to abuse of the regulations, as you
would be aware from my replies to your posts over the years.

I suggest you get in touch with the Energy Safety Service if you have
complaints about products or unsafe or illegal work

http://www.ess.govt.nz/about/about1.asp

will get you started

regards
Malcolm.

Mainlander

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, abor1953
@yahoo.co.nz says...
> On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 23:00:41 +1200, Robert Mathews
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:39:59 +1200, "MorrisTheCat" <MorrisTheCat@MorrisTheCat>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>Illegal in what sense? All registered ESTs earn their living repairing
> >>equipment that uses mains electricity. They are required to be registered by
> >>law or they are prosecuted. They also must bring attention to the public of
> >>the danger of a person who believes they are above the law, remains
> >>unregistered and therefore illegally collects money as reward for repair
> >>work while there is a very real possibility that that work could result in
> >>electrocution and death since requisite refresher courses for safety testing
> >>etc are not being done.
> >>

> >And does that count the 100 or more PC repairers in this these news groups,
> >are you going to report them as they stated many many times that have No
> >Formal training at all or and form of registration..
> >
> >They seem to think they don't need it but they do if you know the Regs..
> >
> >.Have you ever worked to AID standards or with Guided Missiles..?
> >

> Once again Roger demonstrates his abysmal knowledge of NZ regulations
> and electrical safety in general.
>
> Registration and a current Practising License are required to carry
> out prescibed electrical work. However the regulations also define
> what is not such work.
>
> Section 17.2(b) states
>

> (2)The following work is deemed not to be prescribed electrical work:
>
> (b)Repairs or adjustments to works, electrical installations,
> fittings, or electrical appliances or the replacement of extra-low
> voltage or mechanical fittings in electrical installations or
> electrical appliances, provided (in each case) that the work can be
> undertaken without removing any screens, covers, or the like designed
> to prevent inadvertent contact with fittings intended to be supplied
> at voltages above extra-low voltage:
>
> The EWRB has previously stated this section covers personal computers
> so long as all mains circuitry is covered by screens etc.

define a "screen"

In older PCs the front panel mains switch contacts are generally covered
by heatshrink that does not fully insulate the contacts from accidental
contact.

Mainlander

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 12:05:43 +1200, Malcolm Moore <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 09 May 2003 11:40:55 +1200, Robert Mathews
> ><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>So Please tell me how does this affect a Plummer or a Gas Fitter, you do not
> >>have a clue into what I do and even if I am retired.
> >>

> >>Plus its none of you Business.
> >>

> >Given there has been a recent thread on nz.tech with the subject line
> >"TV failure" in which you have stated:

> >>have

> >And
> >
> >>I had a talk to another service mate tonight and he could not believe your
> >>rantings, you just don't know how a TV repair shop works at all.

> >And
> >
> >>And that is all the service Shops around here as I have worked for them all.

> >And in another thread about RCD's
> >
> >>I know as I had to fix a Stereo from them, new dial lamps, and found the
> >>mains cord was bare in some places..

> >I think everyone knows exactly what your current employment is.
> >
> >regards
> >Malcolm.

> No one in these news groups believes a thing in what I have posted, so more
> fool you..

Shock horror admission

Mainlander

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 09:25:21 +1200, Malcolm Moore <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 23:00:41 +1200, Robert Mathews
> ><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>And does that count the 100 or more PC repairers in this these news groups,
> >>are you going to report them as they stated many many times that have No
> >>Formal training at all or and form of registration..
> >>
> >>They seem to think they don't need it but they do if you know the Regs..
> >>
> >>.Have you ever worked to AID standards or with Guided Missiles..?
> >>

> >Once again Roger demonstrates his abysmal knowledge of NZ regulations
> >and electrical safety in general.
> >
> >Registration and a current Practising License are required to carry
> >out prescibed electrical work. However the regulations also define
> >what is not such work.
> >
> >Section 17.2(b) states
> >

> >(2)The following work is deemed not to be prescribed electrical work:
> >
> >(b)Repairs or adjustments to works, electrical installations,
> >fittings, or electrical appliances or the replacement of extra-low
> >voltage or mechanical fittings in electrical installations or
> >electrical appliances, provided (in each case) that the work can be
> >undertaken without removing any screens, covers, or the like designed
> >to prevent inadvertent contact with fittings intended to be supplied
> >at voltages above extra-low voltage:
> >
> >The EWRB has previously stated this section covers personal computers
> >so long as all mains circuitry is covered by screens etc.
> >
> >The regulations and acts are available at
> >
> >http://www.legislation.govt.nz/
> >
> >The requirement to be registered is not limited to doing work for
> >reward. An unregistered person can repair their own, or a near
> >relatives appliances, but no one elses.
> >
> >Regards
> >Malcolm.

> So Please tell me how does this affect a Plummer or a Gas Fitter, you do not
> have a clue into what I do and even if I am retired.

What does a plummer do?

back again

Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz:

>> So Please tell me how does this affect a Plummer or a Gas Fitter, you
>> do not have a clue into what I do and even if I am retired.

> What does a plummer do?

Didn't you know Woger is a fruit cake?

Malcolm Moore

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:42:12 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, abor1953
>@yahoo.co.nz says...

>> Section 17.2(b) states
>>

>> (2)The following work is deemed not to be prescribed electrical work:
>>
>> (b)Repairs or adjustments to works, electrical installations,
>> fittings, or electrical appliances or the replacement of extra-low
>> voltage or mechanical fittings in electrical installations or
>> electrical appliances, provided (in each case) that the work can be
>> undertaken without removing any screens, covers, or the like designed
>> to prevent inadvertent contact with fittings intended to be supplied
>> at voltages above extra-low voltage:
>>
>> The EWRB has previously stated this section covers personal computers
>> so long as all mains circuitry is covered by screens etc.

>define a "screen"
>
>In older PCs the front panel mains switch contacts are generally covered
>by heatshrink that does not fully insulate the contacts from accidental
>contact.

We need to define a "screen, cover or the like (designed to prevent
inadvertant contact)"

The ones I have seen have large diameter heatshrink completely
covering the body, terminals, and cable for a short distance. If
properly shrunk doesn't that conform to the definition?

If there are exposed contacts then only registered workers should
repair them.

Regards
Malcolm.