Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: linux questions

Re: linux questions

Nicholas Sherlock

"Steve Robertson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Surely a web browser is a stupid choice for the default local file browser

That's what Windows does

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Ben Perston

Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

> "Steve Robertson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Surely a web browser is a stupid choice for the default local file browser

> That's what Windows does

It's just faster so that you don't notice it so much

The plus side of finding the gui "explorer" substitutes in Linux so
clunky was that I got to grips with the command line for more stuff
rather than face the pain of using them.

Allistar

Ben Perston wrote:

> Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
>
>> "Steve Robertson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Surely a web browser is a stupid choice for the default local file
>>>browser

>> That's what Windows does

> It's just faster so that you don't notice it so much
>
> The plus side of finding the gui "explorer" substitutes in Linux so
> clunky was that I got to grips with the command line for more stuff
> rather than face the pain of using them.

I find Konqueror to be a great file browser too. I don't use it for web
browsing though (Mozilla gets used for that). Konq takes a while to start
up on my PIII 450 at home but runs quite nicely on my PIV 2.4 at work. The
only two complaints I have about it is the time it takes to start and that
the embedded PDF viewer has no apparent text search function.

Allistar.