Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Laser printer recommendations ?

Laser printer recommendations ?

Russell Smithies

I'm looking at buying a laser printer because I'm sick of forking out for
inkjet carts every few months.
It's only for home use but needs to be XP/Linux/Mac compatible.

Has anyone got any recommendations or seen a site with comparisons on
running costs etc.
Is it worth buying second-hand?

Thanx

Russell

Andrew

The Brother 1440/1450 are good printers

"Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qHAXa.105864$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking at buying a laser printer because I'm sick of forking out for
> inkjet carts every few months.
> It's only for home use but needs to be XP/Linux/Mac compatible.
>
> Has anyone got any recommendations or seen a site with comparisons on
> running costs etc.
> Is it worth buying second-hand?
>
> Thanx
>
> Russell

Robert Singers

Out from under a rock popped Russell Smithies and said

> I'm looking at buying a laser printer because I'm sick of forking out for
> inkjet carts every few months.
> It's only for home use but needs to be XP/Linux/Mac compatible.

Before you do check out the cost of the toner cartridges and it's expected
life. You want to make sure that your cost per page is actually lower with
the laser.

Gurble

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 10:15:21 +1200, "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> had
this to say:

>The Brother 1440/1450 are good printers

Except toner and drum replacements are hugely expensive
(comparitively).

I would highly recommend the Kyocera FS1010
(http://www.kyocera.com.au/products/nz/fs_1010.html). A little more
expensive at $829 incl, but a lot more features, the toner is dirt
cheap (only slightly more than the brother, only twice as much toner),
and the drum NEVER NEEDS TO BE REPLACED. Read that again. This is a
huge cost-saving, and will save you almost $300 each 15-20K pages
(which you'll reach surprisingly quickly).

Also, the print quality is good, it's quick, has more memory, a faster
processor, and *you don't need to replace the drum*.

Then again, as you just want it for home use, the Brother would do...

back again

"Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:qHAXa.105864$(E-Mail Removed):

> Subject: Laser printer recommendations ?
> From: "Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: nz.comp,nz.reg.dunedin.general
>
> I'm looking at buying a laser printer because I'm sick of forking out for
> inkjet carts every few months.
> It's only for home use but needs to be XP/Linux/Mac compatible.
>
> Has anyone got any recommendations or seen a site with comparisons on
> running costs etc.
> Is it worth buying second-hand?
>
> Thanx
>
> Russell

I have an secondhand Apple Laserwriter Pro 630 for sale. It is a 600 dpi
laser printer, with ethernet, localtalk, parallel, and serial connectors.
It does postscript and PCL, comes with an exra 500-sheet paper feeder, and
I think it has an almost full toner cartridge (abut 2kgs of toner), which I
think are rated at 4 or 5,000 sheets per toner (you'd need to check
apple.com to confirm).

If you are interested, or want to make an offer, let me know here and I'll
email you directly.

Cheers,
Mark

Greg Townsend

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 11:35:44 +1200, "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Greg Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 09:59:48 +1200, "Russell Smithies"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I'm looking at buying a laser printer because I'm sick of forking out for
>> >inkjet carts every few months.
>> >It's only for home use but needs to be XP/Linux/Mac compatible.
>> >
>> >Has anyone got any recommendations or seen a site with comparisons on
>> >running costs etc.
>> >Is it worth buying second-hand?
>> >
>> >Thanx
>> >
>> >Russell
>> >

>> No good for Photos..
>>

>Does that really matter if hes not printing photos?

Seems like you don't have a brain as he did not say..??

Andrew

Read the question next time

i didnt say that he did mention photos, i just asked you if it mattered that
it doesnt do photos well if he is not printing them

"Greg Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 11:35:44 +1200, "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >"Greg Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

for

> >> No good for Photos..
> >>

> >Does that really matter if hes not printing photos?
> >

> Seems like you don't have a brain as he did not say..??

Russell Smithies

"Greg Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 09:59:48 +1200, "Russell Smithies"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I'm looking at buying a laser printer because I'm sick of forking out for
> >inkjet carts every few months.
> >It's only for home use but needs to be XP/Linux/Mac compatible.
> >
> >Has anyone got any recommendations or seen a site with comparisons on
> >running costs etc.
> >Is it worth buying second-hand?
> >
> >Thanx
> >
> >Russell
> >

> No good for Photos..

I thought I had you on my kill-file?
Better update it now.

Russell

Max Quordlepleen

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 22:28:10 GMT, Robert Singers
<(E-Mail Removed)> proffered, in :

> Out from under a rock popped Russell Smithies and said
>
>> I'm looking at buying a laser printer because I'm sick of forking
>> out for inkjet carts every few months.
>> It's only for home use but needs to be XP/Linux/Mac compatible.

> Before you do check out the cost of the toner cartridges and it's
> expected life. You want to make sure that your cost per page is
> actually lower with the laser.

Excuse me, Robert, may I plagiarise your excellent X-Face?

--
Please do not press this button again

http://www.maxqnz.com/References.html

Allistar

Russell Smithies wrote:

> I'm looking at buying a laser printer because I'm sick of forking out for
> inkjet carts every few months.
> It's only for home use but needs to be XP/Linux/Mac compatible.
>
> Has anyone got any recommendations or seen a site with comparisons on
> running costs etc.
> Is it worth buying second-hand?
>
> Thanx
>
> Russell

I have an HP Laserjet 1200 which I print to from my main computer at home
(mandrake 9.1) as well as my wifes computer (Windows 9. It works fine and
was a breeze to setup using Mandrake. Print quality is very good too. I
picked it up for just under $400 from an online auction (had only done 1200
pages!).

Allistar.