Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > shrunk Windows 95 install 10 MB

shrunk Windows 95 install 10 MB

T.N.O

http://www.wimborne.org/images/rljam...b_w95_pic1.jpg

http://www.wimborne.org/images/rljam...b_w95_pic2.jpg

Pretty impressive how they have a working Win95 under 10MB and off a ram
disk.
Also read about a Win98 machine on 35MB Compact Flash, I might have to play
with this, it could be nice for a fast system.

And before you mention it, yes I do realise that Linux blah blah blah dont
care, I'm talking about Windows here.

T.N.O

"Enkidu" wrote
| >Pretty impressive how they have a working Win95 under 10MB and off a ram
| >disk.
| >
| You can boot WIn98 off a single floppy.

With a GUI?

pbs

T.N.O wrote:
> "Enkidu" wrote
> | >Pretty impressive how they have a working Win95 under 10MB and off a ram
> | >disk.
> | >
> | You can boot WIn98 off a single floppy.
> |

> With a GUI?

Or better still with tcp/ip and mount a network disk?

Enkidu

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 00:38:44 +1200, "T.N.O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Enkidu" wrote
>| >Pretty impressive how they have a working Win95 under 10MB and off a ram
>| >disk.
>| >
>| You can boot WIn98 off a single floppy.
>
>With a GUI?

What on earth for?

Cheers,

Cliff

Nathan Mercer

"pbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bgh9v2$8o2$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > | You can boot WIn98 off a single floppy.
> > |

> > With a GUI?

> Or better still with tcp/ip and mount a network disk?

This is a good one
http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/network/

T.N.O

"Enkidu" wrote
| >With a GUI?
| >
| What on earth for?

running GUI only programs.

Tim

Phillip Weston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 00:19:39 +1200, "T.N.O" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> scribbled:
>
>>http://www.wimborne.org/images/rljam...b_w95_pic1.jpg
>>
>>http://www.wimborne.org/images/rljam...b_w95_pic2.jpg
>>
>>Pretty impressive how they have a working Win95 under 10MB and off a
>>ram disk.
>>Also read about a Win98 machine on 35MB Compact Flash, I might have to
>>play with this, it could be nice for a fast system.
>>
>>And before you mention it, yes I do realise that Linux blah blah blah
>>dont care, I'm talking about Windows here.

> Someone should tell the guy who took the pictures that taking a
> screenshot doesn't literally mean putting a webcam up to a monitor.

In this case it does - an image editor to paste the screen capture into is
going to take up more space isn't it

--
Tim
- <insert witty signature here>

Phillip Weston

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 14:55:01 +1200, Tim <(E-Mail Removed)>
scribbled:

>Phillip Weston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 00:19:39 +1200, "T.N.O" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> scribbled:
>>
>>>http://www.wimborne.org/images/rljam...b_w95_pic1.jpg
>>>
>>>http://www.wimborne.org/images/rljam...b_w95_pic2.jpg
>>>
>>>Pretty impressive how they have a working Win95 under 10MB and off a
>>>ram disk.
>>>Also read about a Win98 machine on 35MB Compact Flash, I might have to
>>>play with this, it could be nice for a fast system.
>>>
>>>And before you mention it, yes I do realise that Linux blah blah blah
>>>dont care, I'm talking about Windows here.

>> Someone should tell the guy who took the pictures that taking a
>> screenshot doesn't literally mean putting a webcam up to a monitor.

>In this case it does - an image editor to paste the screen capture into is
>going to take up more space isn't it

Would the screenshot image be saved in memory?

--
Phillip Weston
Taumarunui, New Zealand

pbs

Nathan Mercer wrote:
> "pbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bgh9v2$8o2$(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>>With a GUI?

>>Or better still with tcp/ip and mount a network disk?

> This is a good one
> http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/network/

Yep I've used "Bart's Network Boot Disk." as a stand
by recovery disk for a laptop I have with a broken
CD. The trouble I have is that I can not work out
how to free up enough memory to run the setup.exe
of win95.

I have to rely on DOS tools to reformat the C: disk, make it
bootable, copy the CD into a dir, reboot, and then run
(if memory serves me well) setup.exe.

It would be more elegant to be able to run the setup.exe
from the initial Bart's dos prompt but I have not been able
to do that.

If I could do the network stuff using win9[5,8] on a floppy this
would remove the memory constraint.

Gavin Tunney

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 00:19:39 +1200, "T.N.O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.wimborne.org/images/rljam...b_w95_pic1.jpg
>
>http://www.wimborne.org/images/rljam...b_w95_pic2.jpg
>
>Pretty impressive how they have a working Win95 under 10MB and off a ram
>disk.
>Also read about a Win98 machine on 35MB Compact Flash, I might have to play
>with this, it could be nice for a fast system.
>
>And before you mention it, yes I do realise that Linux blah blah blah dont
>care, I'm talking about Windows here.

Compaq do it with their Smartstart CD Dave, have a compressed file
called Win95.exe which is 8mb. Run it and it decompresses all the
necessary Win95 files, about 15mb worth, & then fires up a customised
version of Windows.

A non-custom version would be quite useful for support work, could
run win32 utilities on machines that won't boot up properly.

Gavin