Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Pixar to move to the G5 and OSX ?

Pixar to move to the G5 and OSX ?

madknoxie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Who is this <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <bgk05o$pnmkg$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
> "AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > lily wrote:
> >
> > > Enough to discard a 1024 processor renderwall that you bought in February
> > > ? The bean counters would go ballistic !

> > Well you wouldn't have to rip and replace. Assuming thats what your CEO is
> > demanding and that Renderman (or whatever) runs on both platforms, you
> > could just add the new machines in to the existing farm. The beauty of
> > render farms is that the machines are all independent of each other -
> > unlike some other computation clusters.
> >
> > Of course, I doubt the economics would be worth it. A rack of dual Athlon or
> > Xeon machines would give a lot more bang for buck than a rack of Apple
> > XServes.

> Actually the benchmarks showed that bang for buck the dual processor G5
> out performed the dual Xenon

Are you sure that its bang *for* buck? I know the G5 has the bang, but
at a cool $6800 it doesn't really have much buck in comparison. Don't
get me wrong, I like my Macs...

--
madknoxie

Who is this

In article <FfmXa.9075$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"lily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Actually the benchmarks showed that bang for buck the dual processor G5
> > out performed the dual Xenon

> Benchmarketing is always total *******s, and these tests have been proved to
> be shallow scams (most recently concerning Apple IIRC)

Actually the way I read the so called claims, the mods that apple did
made to xenom run faster. but if you want to go to real world tests then
mathematica etc were als a damn sight faster.

> I can see a case for macintoshes as workstations in a animation factory, but
> not as a renderfarm blade

yet, one rumour is that Apple is working on a big end server system,
possibly a blade server.

lily

"Who is this" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <FfmXa.9075$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "lily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > > Actually the benchmarks showed that bang for buck the dual processor

G5
> > > out performed the dual Xenon

> > Benchmarketing is always total *******s, and these tests have been

proved to
> > be shallow scams (most recently concerning Apple IIRC)

> Actually the way I read the so called claims, the mods that apple did
> made to xenom run faster. but if you want to go to real world tests then
> mathematica etc were als a damn sight faster.
>

> > I can see a case for macintoshes as workstations in a animation factory,

but
> > not as a renderfarm blade

> yet, one rumour is that Apple is working on a big end server system,
> possibly a blade server.

Do they render film frames cheaper ?

lily

"Who is this" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> madknoxie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > > Actually the benchmarks showed that bang for buck the dual processor

G5
> > > out performed the dual Xenon

> > Are you sure that its bang *for* buck? I know the G5 has the bang, but
> > at a cool $6800 it doesn't really have much buck in comparison. Don't
> > get me wrong, I like my Macs...

> Compared to a similarly kitted out Xenon from Dell IIRC the dual
> processor G5 was cheaper.

The renderfarm is 8 of these
http://www.racksaver.com/products/bladerack.asp
Its not really Apple's market.

lily

"Who is this" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <rGBXa.9201$(E-Mail Removed)>, "lily" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > "Who is this" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

processor
> > G5

but

Don't

> > > Compared to a similarly kitted out Xenon from Dell IIRC the dual
> > > processor G5 was cheaper.

> > The renderfarm is 8 of these
> > http://www.racksaver.com/products/bladerack.asp
> > Its not really Apple's market.
> >

> Yet ?
> I do understand that IBM will be making blade servers out of the G5/970
> chip

I'm sure they will.
And they will also make them out of 64 bit AMD and Intel processors
Any one of which may turn out to be the price/performance or price or
performance leader at any given time.
So portability of the operating system is quite important especially to IBM.
So thats even more competition for Apple from IBM.

Roger Johnstone

In <bgk05o$pnmkg$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de> AD. wrote:
> lily wrote:
>
>> Enough to discard a 1024 processor renderwall that you bought in
>> February ? The bean counters would go ballistic !

> Well you wouldn't have to rip and replace. Assuming thats what your
> CEO is demanding and that Renderman (or whatever) runs on both
> platforms, you could just add the new machines in to the existing farm.
> The beauty of render farms is that the machines are all independent of
> each other - unlike some other computation clusters.
>
> Of course, I doubt the economics would be worth it. A rack of dual
> Athlon or Xeon machines would give a lot more bang for buck than a
> rack of Apple XServes.
>
> Although I would like to try out an XServe for use in a small LAN.
>
> Cheers
> Anton

News today: the US Navy is to install 260 Xserves in their submarine
fleet for real-time image processing, all of which will be running
Yellow Dog Linux.

Apple II - FutureCop:LAPD - iMac Game Wizard
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rojaws/
"..we discovered that, at least as of a few years ago, every tactical
nuclear weapon in Europe manned by U.S. personnel was targeted by an
Apple II computer. Now, we didn't sell computers to the military; they
went out and bought them at a dealer's, I guess. But it didn't make us
feel good to know that our computers were being used to target nuclear
weapons in Europe. The only bright side of it was that at least they
weren't [Radio Shack] TRS-80s! Thank God for that."

Steve Jobs, Playboy interview, 1985