Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > selling of ms software

Reply
Thread Tools

selling of ms software

 
 
jfwilson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2003
Some friends of mine had their computer stolen.
Left behind is an opened box of WindowsXP Pro.
but they do not know whether or not it had been
installed on the computer. They don't need this
software and want to realize the value but I believe
the valuable part is the licence. What to do?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Max
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2003
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 19:45:42 +1200, "jfwilson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Some friends of mine had their computer stolen.
>Left behind is an opened box of WindowsXP Pro.
>but they do not know whether or not it had been
>installed on the computer. They don't need this
>software and want to realize the value but I believe
>the valuable part is the licence. What to do?
>


If it has been installed on the stolen computer, and is an OEM
version, then it is probably worthless.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
MarkH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2003
"jfwilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:SRoWa.8639$9f7.1001409
@news02.tsnz.net:

> Some friends of mine had their computer stolen.
> Left behind is an opened box of WindowsXP Pro.
> but they do not know whether or not it had been
> installed on the computer. They don't need this
> software and want to realize the value but I believe
> the valuable part is the licence. What to do?


In a box? As in a retail version?

If it is a retail box with the certificate, then it is legally usable.
Certainly the thieves have no right to use what is loaded on the PC, being
thieves and all.




--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~markh/
"There are 10 types of people, those that
understand binary and those that don't"

 
Reply With Quote
 
jfwilson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2003

"MarkH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bgd75m$hk8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "jfwilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:SRoWa.8639$9f7.1001409
> @news02.tsnz.net:
>
> > Some friends of mine had their computer stolen.
> > Left behind is an opened box of WindowsXP Pro.
> > but they do not know whether or not it had been
> > installed on the computer. They don't need this
> > software and want to realize the value but I believe
> > the valuable part is the licence. What to do?

>
> In a box? As in a retail version?
>
> If it is a retail box with the certificate, then it is legally usable.
> Certainly the thieves have no right to use what is loaded on the PC, being
> thieves and all.


It's in a box with the certificate of authenticity for
PCs without windows. There is'nt much of a demand
on Trademe but if someone did buy it would they have
any difficulties installing it, or with Microsoft?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew Bryson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2003
"jfwilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SRoWa.8639$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Some friends of mine had their computer stolen.
> Left behind is an opened box of WindowsXP Pro.
> but they do not know whether or not it had been
> installed on the computer. They don't need this
> software and want to realize the value but I believe
> the valuable part is the licence. What to do?


It seems to me that if they knew what their license key was then they should
be legally entitled to still use the software (since theft does not negate
ownership).


 
Reply With Quote
 
M.J.Hughes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2003
But if insurance pays out for the computer then legally they become owners of
the software

Mike


In article <YeqWa.8646$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
>
>"jfwilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:SRoWa.8639$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Some friends of mine had their computer stolen.
>> Left behind is an opened box of WindowsXP Pro.
>> but they do not know whether or not it had been
>> installed on the computer. They don't need this
>> software and want to realize the value but I believe
>> the valuable part is the licence. What to do?

>
>It seems to me that if they knew what their license key was then they should
>be legally entitled to still use the software (since theft does not negate
>ownership).
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Brett Cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2003
If WinXp had been installed on the computer then the XP activation key
would have been stuck onto the computer case, as instructed by MS.
So if the case is gone, the key has gone and they CD is useless without the
key (Unless you get an XP key program from some shady part of the net)

Brett

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 01:42:13 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (M.J.Hughes)
wrote:

>But if insurance pays out for the computer then legally they become owners of
>the software
>
>Mike
>
>
>In article <YeqWa.8646$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>says...
>>
>>"jfwilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:SRoWa.8639$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Some friends of mine had their computer stolen.
>>> Left behind is an opened box of WindowsXP Pro.
>>> but they do not know whether or not it had been
>>> installed on the computer. They don't need this
>>> software and want to realize the value but I believe
>>> the valuable part is the licence. What to do?

>>
>>It seems to me that if they knew what their license key was then they should
>>be legally entitled to still use the software (since theft does not negate
>>ownership).
>>
>>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microsoft investigates store selling pirated software Malcolm NZ Computing 1 09-12-2011 06:22 AM
SMS gateway software, SMS gateway, SMS software, SMS server, SMPP software, WAP Push John Java 0 08-28-2007 05:53 AM
Selling Software Possum NZ Computing 1 12-26-2006 10:11 AM
Pirated software - Selling vs. "Having" techshare A+ Certification 1 04-15-2004 02:48 PM
Selling Python Software Will Stuyvesant Python 34 11-05-2003 03:22 PM



Advertisments