Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > IBM Exec: "Forces" at work against Linux

Reply
Thread Tools

IBM Exec: "Forces" at work against Linux

 
 
Herman Melville
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2003

IBM seems to be naming names and pointing the finger......

************************************************** ******

IBM exec: 'Forces' at work against Linux

By Andrew Colley
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
July 30, 2003, 12:57 PM PT

An IBM executive has claimed that a "set of forces" is attempting to derail
Linux, and hinted that Microsoft and SCO Group are among those responsible.

Al Zollar, a general manager of sales for IBM eServer iSeries, told
delegates attending the company's Asia Pacific Strategic Planning
Conference in Queensland, Australia, on Tuesday that a "set of forces" was
attempting to stymie adoption of the open-source operating system.

"They're mostly located in Redmond, although they have recruited a few
allies," said Zollar. Microsoft has its headquarters in Redmond, Wash.

....the rest is on the web site.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
The Flash
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2003
The thing I have found is that IBM cares about IBM and nothing else, people
have to remember that if the an option arises that is good for IBM but
screws every other linux / Unix / Microsoft user in the world IBM will grab
it instantly.

I have a contact in IBM who is very high on the ladder (Not in NZ), he has a
large amount of Sony equipment (digital cam, micro palmtop, cell phone
organize etc) Company policy is such that although at his level he can do
almost as he pleases, pressure is applied to 'Think IBM' and go with the
policy of not having any non IBM products displayed in his office. He has
also commented repeatedly that there is a almost pathological hatred towards
Microsoft that has grown in strength over the last 5 years. (He has been
with IBM for >20 years)

IBM and Microsoft it seems believe that Litigation is the first step of
negotiation, rather than open source it is open wallets that IBM and
Microsoft want.

If people think that IBM is supporting Linux due to moral and good business
practices they should look a lot closer. IBM is a profit driven company and
they will use any method to hook clients into z/OS , 0s/390, aix or any of
their proprietary os's.

"Herman Melville" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CZZVa.8399$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> IBM seems to be naming names and pointing the finger......
>
> ************************************************** ******
>
> IBM exec: 'Forces' at work against Linux
>
> By Andrew Colley
> Staff Writer, CNET News.com
> July 30, 2003, 12:57 PM PT
>
> An IBM executive has claimed that a "set of forces" is attempting to

derail
> Linux, and hinted that Microsoft and SCO Group are among those

responsible.
>
> Al Zollar, a general manager of sales for IBM eServer iSeries, told
> delegates attending the company's Asia Pacific Strategic Planning
> Conference in Queensland, Australia, on Tuesday that a "set of forces" was
> attempting to stymie adoption of the open-source operating system.
>
> "They're mostly located in Redmond, although they have recruited a few
> allies," said Zollar. Microsoft has its headquarters in Redmond, Wash.
>
> ...the rest is on the web site.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Aaron Lawrence
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2003
Thus spake The Flash:
> He has
> also commented repeatedly that there is a almost pathological hatred towards
> Microsoft that has grown in strength over the last 5 years. (He has been
> with IBM for >20 years)


I find that cheering It's only human nature. IBM had it's nose rubbed
in failure many times by Microsoft.

It's interesting to see things hotting up again. The good thing is that
this time round the ship won't go down when IBM gives up (thanks, GPL).

Also, don't forget that IBM was forced to play fair a while back when
they lost a major anti-trust case.

--
aaronl at consultant dot com
http://homepages.visp.co.nz/~aaronlawrence
...Gross Ignorance: 144 times worse than ordinary ignorance.
 
Reply With Quote
 
T.N.O
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2003
"Uncle StoatWarbler" wrote
| What they found was that being a midle-sized fish in a very large pond was
| far more profitable than being the largest/only fish in a small one.
|
| Something that MS has yet to learn...
|

Maybe MS hasn't reached that limit yet?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Herman Melville
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2003
The Flash allegedly said:

> If people think that IBM is supporting Linux due to moral and good
> business practices they should look a lot closer. IBM is a profit driven
> company and they will use any method to hook clients into z/OS , 0s/390,
> aix or any of their proprietary os's.


IBM, for now, is a Linux ally with deep pockets.

With Mr. Bill gunning for Linux 9and don't think he isn't), Tux could use
some friends with both resources and organisation.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Uncle StoatWarbler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2003
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 23:18:04 +1200, Aaron Lawrence wrote:

> I find that cheering It's only human nature. IBM had it's nose rubbed
> in failure many times by Microsoft.


In the case of DOS4, that failure was Microsoft's.

MS said Dos3 was end of the line. IBM developed extensions and showed it
to MS, MS promptly stole the alpha-quality code and sold it as MSDOS 4.0

> It's interesting to see things hotting up again. The good thing is that
> this time round the ship won't go down when IBM gives up (thanks, GPL).
>
> Also, don't forget that IBM was forced to play fair a while back when they
> lost a major anti-trust case.


The restrictions on them are mostly lapsed now - that case was in the 1960s

What they found was that being a midle-sized fish in a very large pond was
far more profitable than being the largest/only fish in a small one.

Something that MS has yet to learn...


 
Reply With Quote
 
The Flash
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2003

"Herman Melville" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FL7Wa.8525$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Flash allegedly said:
>
> > If people think that IBM is supporting Linux due to moral and good
> > business practices they should look a lot closer. IBM is a profit driven
> > company and they will use any method to hook clients into z/OS , 0s/390,
> > aix or any of their proprietary os's.

>
> IBM, for now, is a Linux ally with deep pockets.
>
> With Mr. Bill gunning for Linux 9and don't think he isn't), Tux could use
> some friends with both resources and organisation.
>


Choosing IBM as a ally seems to me like choosing Ted Bundy over Charlie
Manson.

IBM's pockets are lined with money for sure, how it acquired its vast wealth
is reason for much debate on legality, ethics and plain morals.

Billy G has shown that he is no different from IBM, it is Profit Profit
Profit. Mind you MS can play these silly 'free' software games and will gift
billions of dollars of software (based on development and distribution,
support costs) if the end result is the 'microsized' audience. Give schools
ms word, end up with kids that can ONLY drive on ms word.

I really have an issue with 'free' anything, nothing I have found in this
world is free, everything has a cost. Linux has some very good concepts in
both its design and distribution methods but it seems to have taken on some
rather unsavory partners in the likes of IBM in its aim at becoming the
mainstream x86 os. I hope it can survive and thrive.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Rupert
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2003
Of course people are trying to "derail" Linux - anyone with a competing
product must in order to maintain (if not grow )market share - something
which their shareholders expect.

However people seem to think this is a wrong thing to do? But in the same
breath attempt to do the same to other organisations?



"Herman Melville" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CZZVa.8399$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> IBM seems to be naming names and pointing the finger......
>
> ************************************************** ******
>
> IBM exec: 'Forces' at work against Linux
>
> By Andrew Colley
> Staff Writer, CNET News.com
> July 30, 2003, 12:57 PM PT
>
> An IBM executive has claimed that a "set of forces" is attempting to

derail
> Linux, and hinted that Microsoft and SCO Group are among those

responsible.
>
> Al Zollar, a general manager of sales for IBM eServer iSeries, told
> delegates attending the company's Asia Pacific Strategic Planning
> Conference in Queensland, Australia, on Tuesday that a "set of forces" was
> attempting to stymie adoption of the open-source operating system.
>
> "They're mostly located in Redmond, although they have recruited a few
> allies," said Zollar. Microsoft has its headquarters in Redmond, Wash.
>
> ...the rest is on the web site.



 
Reply With Quote
 
AD.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2003
The Flash wrote:

> Choosing IBM as a ally seems to me like choosing Ted Bundy over Charlie
> Manson.


You're forgetting nobody chose IBM. IBM invested in Linux, the same way
plenty of other companies have and are all free to. They have just invested
more than others have to date.

>
> IBM's pockets are lined with money for sure, how it acquired its vast
> wealth is reason for much debate on legality, ethics and plain morals.


Well, it's now being redistributed back to the 'community'. Would you rather
they kept it locked up?

>
> Billy G has shown that he is no different from IBM, it is Profit Profit
> Profit. Mind you MS can play these silly 'free' software games and will
> gift billions of dollars of software (based on development and
> distribution, support costs) if the end result is the 'microsized'
> audience.


That's nothing like what IBM is doing. The beauty of what IBM is doing is
that they can't exert the same influence and lock in as MS can. IBM has no
control over Linux, they are offering things under a 'take it or leave it'
scenario. If they suddenly pulled out of Linux, the Linux community
wouldn't be any worse off than they would've been without IBMs support.

I think IBM has learnt some hard lessons about how to treat its customers.
With Linux, they can't pressure their customers like they used to.

> I really have an issue with 'free' anything, nothing I have found in this
> world is free, everything has a cost. Linux has some very good concepts in
> both its design and distribution methods but it seems to have taken on
> some rather unsavory partners in the likes of IBM in its aim at becoming
> the mainstream x86 os. I hope it can survive and thrive.


Low cost software is just the icing on the cake - the real issue is the
freedom to use that software how you want, and the ability to easily shift
vendors if they do something you don't like.

Critics that keep harping on about nothing really being free are missing the
point. Linux is gaining momentum due to its Freedom, not just because it is
low cost. Of course companies realise there is a cost in running something
even if they didn't have to buy it. People are sick of being dictated to by
large powerful vendors, and Linux levels the playing field for software
customers/users and allows them more control over their own technical
destiny.

Cheers
Anton
 
Reply With Quote
 
lily
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2003

"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> this quote is from Rupert of Fri, 01 Aug 2003 02:11 :
> > Of course people are trying to "derail" Linux - anyone with a competing
> > product must in order to maintain (if not grow )market share - something
> > which their shareholders expect.

>
> Yes - competition is good, but unethical, underhanded tricks are not.
> So, is SCO/MS competing in the market by offering better products at a
> better price, giving the customer superior value? Or are they seeking to
> wipe out competitors with unsubstantiated claims, long winded legal
> wranglings and FUD?


They certainly have you confused
There is one contract dispute between SCO and IBM, it does not involve
Microsoft.
SCO bought rights from Novell and claims according to their interpretation
that derivative works by IBM are a breach of contract which entitle them to
compensation for damages.
That is the nature of the business of buying selling and licencing rights

Microsoft offer products in the marketplace.
Customers who like the software, pay the price, and agree to use it under
the license conditions, buy it and use it.
Pretty bloody simple

You are simplistically casting a slur on Microsoft by implying that all
their dealings must be unethical because they have paid for a license to
rights from SCO.

Now others will claim therefore that all Linux advocates are Microsoft
haters.

You are being sucked into the FUD.

There are always forces at work _for_ and against Linux



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: IBM asserts patents against open source software peterwn NZ Computing 123 04-21-2010 11:12 PM
Re: IBM asserts patents against open source software David Goodwin NZ Computing 15 04-10-2010 03:24 AM
Any IBM POSS Programmers? How do I make a IBM POS VFD Customer Display work? Robert Wells C++ 4 06-24-2008 10:48 PM
M$ against Blu-ray, M$ for Blu-ray, M$ against Blu-ray, M$ forBlu-ray, ...... Blig Merk DVD Video 66 04-27-2008 04:46 AM
Why IBM's patent suit against Amazon could be bad news for the entire Web impossible NZ Computing 2 12-09-2006 01:06 AM



Advertisments