Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: hacked..?

Re: hacked..?

Kristofer Clayton

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:44:34 +1200, Paul Gunson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>every time i connect to the net [ihug] after about 30 secs the
>connection sends and receives continuously, even though there is no
>browser activity... ie without me actually doing anything online... it
>receives at about 4KB/sec, 56K modem speed.... win2K SP4 has
>auto-updates disabled... i have not installed any new software recently.
>AV software is AVG, also with auto-updates disabled.
>
>htf can i find out what is going on....?

Go to a DOS prompt and type Netstat;

or install a firewall like Kerio Personal Firewall (www.kerio.com)
that blocks suspicious inbound/outbound and lets you see a list of
what programs currently have active or listening TCP/UDP sockets.

--
Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
Gisborne, New Zealand

Paul Gunson

Kristofer Clayton wrote:
> Go to a DOS prompt and type Netstat;
>
> or install a firewall like Kerio Personal Firewall (www.kerio.com)
> that blocks suspicious inbound/outbound and lets you see a list of
> what programs currently have active or listening TCP/UDP sockets.

thanks to all who replied - i have installed and am training Kerio's.
the problem does not seem to be happening today, will change all
passwords as a precaution.

Fran

Paul Gunson wrote:

> Kristofer Clayton wrote:
> > Go to a DOS prompt and type Netstat;
>>
>> or install a firewall like Kerio Personal Firewall (www.kerio.com)
>> that blocks suspicious inbound/outbound and lets you see a list of
>> what programs currently have active or listening TCP/UDP sockets.

> thanks to all who replied - i have installed and am training Kerio's.
> the problem does not seem to be happening today, will change all
> passwords as a precaution.

What antivirus do you have?
Norton can d/l in the background and may have finished.

Fran