Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Found this article.... wow...

Found this article.... wow...

flounda@usit.net

On 28 Jul 2003 19:44:26 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (John Zimmerman)
wrote:

>Found this article..
>
>There have been a lot of people that have called the whole thing a
>hoax, whether it is because of the position of the system or because
>of the name. The creators say go ahead and speculate but stop
>laughing. The Phantom is a real thing and looks to revolutionize video
>gaming providing real-time game purchasing, game rental and try before
>you buy all on demand.
>
>"Being a gamer, there is no two ways about it," says Dale Eldridge,
>Vice President of Infinium Labs. "You'll have CDs that get scratched
>that will no longer work and you have to front the cost to buy the
>same game multiple times. And you buy a system, the developer upgrades
>it, you can't play the game you have before on the same proprietary
>console, and then your little cheap $200 consumer item breaks because
>it is only a toy. The most frustrating is the titles only appeal to
>the 8-18 year olds and don't offer the genres and title selection
>which appeals to the 3-38 year olds which is 80% of the market today.
>It's frustrating. So what we've designed is a real machine with a
>hassle free service allowing you a infinite selection of gaming
>content. You no longer have to spend your time as an IT person. It can
>be in your living room, it can be easy to use, it is built for the
>hardcore horsepower driven gamer, it can appeal to all audiences, it
>can be convenient, and it can be FUN!'"

I've got alot of questions and a wait and see attitude. Not sure what
kind of delivery system this thing is going for or whether hard copies
are still gonna be offered. I personally do not like the idea of not
having an actual hard copy in my posession. I don't like the idea of
the control of the game being dependent on the actions of a service or
company. I don't like the idea of giving up the control to them.

> [...]
>for 5 years since they have produced tied up enormous amounts of there
>cash and don't want to obsolete themselves.
>
>Roberts explained that the Beta tester requests were very successful.
>With over 28k applications on file to date we have collected some very
>resourceful testers which can help fine tune our product. We are
>planning on distributing emails to the 300 lucky testers on Sept 15th
>which will announce who has been selected. We will then shift gears
>and open beta tester requests for Europe, Asia, Mexico and Australia,
>as well as others. We are looking for the best, the elite hard core
>gamers and also the top hackers and crackers out there. We will be
>sending the United States and Canada beta testers consoles to them on
>Sept 15th. The beta testers will need to sign an agreement to provide
>1 year worth of testing for us and commit to provide feed back to us
>regarding the service. They will be allowed to keep the equipment and
>games but will have to pay there own broadband access fees. We will be
>looking for 300 testers in each country, not just the United States
>and Canada.
>
>We plan to launch our service in Europe and Asia in Q1 2005.
>
>Unlike the other current-generation systems on the market today, all
>costing under 200 bucks, the Phantom looks to do something that no
>other video gaming console has done before. The Phantom is the most
>robust, upgradeable console which provides a better entertainment
>package and will drive down the cost of games to the consumers.
>
>"The consumer who enters the market earlier is obviously going to pay
>the price," says Roberts. "The people who bought the first generation
>of Tivo ended up having to pay a little more. And there are going to
>be people who will wait thinking that second generation product will
>be cheaper, faster and better. But our console is upgradeable,
>provides a refurbish program and also there are people who are willing
>to come in early and adopt the product and help launch our service. As
>we build our subscriber base, the consumer monthly service fee goes
>down offset by our economies of scale. But the most dramatic change to
>that is when the advertising revenue is achieved; consumers are
>predicted to spend 7 times more time playing games than watching
>television over the next 5 years (DFC Intelligence). Gaming is the
>number one, the hottest sector in the world right now, outselling
>movies and music. And because of that, as the subscriber base builds
>and the advertising revenue comes in, we will drop the price to the
>consumer. Over time, in the future, we foresee there will be no
>monthly subscription fee, offset by the advertising revenues and large
>subscriber base. The basic package will include 100's of games while
>others are extending there package paying for games on demand and
>rental." We need the help of the gamers to make this a reality, say

Sounds to me like they'll probably offer lesser games that bombard you
with spam to use for free. While they'll charge regularly for those
games that people are really gonna want. Again the problem I would
have, is the notion of downloading games. I want that hard copy. What
would happen if something happens to your harddrive and all your games
get lost ? Maybe the fee paid will offer unlimited downloads of a game
purchased. Still downloading offers the provider with controls that
I'm just not comfortable with. With a hard copy, the game is in my
hands and can be played at any time, with reasonable care. On demand,
they could limit play and make you pay to extend playtime. Maybe the
prices and technology will make more sense later. But I am very
concerned about how the content is controlled. And whether you will
remain in control once you purchase a game outright, or whether fee's
will build over time, just to be able to play the game anytime you
want too. I would want the option of the hard copy. Perhaps burning it
too a DVD or other format. I guess we'll see and hear more at some
point soon.

flounda

> [...]
>going to distribute, the only games that make sense are the games that
>are smash hits for them to cover their costs to make any money. Sony
>and Microsoft don't make money off of the consoles; they make money
>off the software and accessories. Even though we're eliminating some
>of their profit centers, the margins that they will make through our
>delivery centers will be greater because of the reduced distribution
>costs and longer shelf lives and being able to hold an infinite amount
>of inventory and also the elimination of piracy adds to there top line
>revenues.
>
>Even though the Phantom looks to be a serious contender in the video
>game sector of entertainment, there will still be those who doubt. But
>Infinium Labs looks to try to calm their fears.
>
>"Currently, we already have commitments for 5,000 titles to come on
>our system at launch," says Roberts. "Out of these titles, a lot of
>people are saying that most of these titles are going to be 5 or 10
>years old, but surprisingly we are already in discussions and have
>terms negotiated with several large publishers. And we're not going to
>get every top title out there, but we know we'll launch with 20 of the
>top 200 titles at launch, and continue to add those top titles in the
>months ahead. It's all about money, so the more subscribers we
>acquire the better the content becomes"
>
>"From the architectural viewpoint, we have built billions of dollars
>worth of infrastructure at former companies," says Roberts. "We were
>dealing with very high- end clients at these companies such as my
>former startup "Savvis Communications". We were partners with
>companies such as Deloitte and Touché. They would bring their clients
>in to us and we would spend months architecting robust, fault
>tolerant, and mission critical infrastructure for Fortune 500
>companies. And when you're talking about online financial services and
>data that companies are reliant on; they could potentially be out of
>business if their service goes down, and companies like Savvis provide
>a way to ensure there is never any downtime. We were the first to
>offer Service Level Agreements or SLA's in the Tier 1 datacom
>industry. We know how to build the scalability and reliability and I
>think the difference in why we're going to be successful is because
>PhantomNet™ has been built by the guys that know how to build
>infrastructure, not being built by game developers. "
>
>With a 2-3 GHz processor and a 120 gig hard drive, component video,
>cable modem, RF receiver all built into the system and the best video
>card on the market, the Phantom looks to make a huge impact on the
>gaming world.
>
>"We are going to do to the gaming industry what mp3.com has done to
>the music industry, only we have a better mouse trap which eventually
>will provide movies, music and e-books on demand" says Roberts.

John Zimmerman

[...]

magnulus

In other words, they are selling you a PC in a funny box, with a
subscription service for games. The Windows XP is a dead giveaway. This
thing is going to be even more of a PC than the XBox. Note the
"upgradability" claims. Also note the "cross platform" claims thrown about-
as if emulation for profit weren't a potential red flag for lawsuits. They
can't even decide what videocard the machine will have. Being as ATI and
NVidia aren't fully cross-compatable, "upgrading" between the two won't be
seamless. Hell, many older games (3-4+ years) even have problems with ATI
cards.

You can get this now. Just go down to Best Buy, buy a PC, and you can
sign up for PC game rental on Yahoo. You can even hook up to a TV, should
you so choose.

I'm still not convinced the Phantom isn't some hoax or scam. "Springtime
for Hitler", anyone?

five

Ken Catchpole wrote:
| "John Zimmerman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
|| Found this article..
| <SNIP>
|
| Thanks for posting.
| Lots of technical and marketing stuff about which I care little.
| Nothing about the games that will be available, which is all I care
| about.

Well, since Infinium's claims range from 'thousands' to 'infinite' on the
number of games/applications available, it's more than likely that its back
catalogue is PC games...it's a PC. It's a PC running Windows XP(e). It's a
PC.

Aaron Lawrence

Thus spake John Zimmerman:
> Found this article..

FOAD Spammer
--
aaronl at consultant dot com
http://homepages.visp.co.nz/~aaronlawrence

Onion Knight

For a posting history of "John Zimmerman" see:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=tw...&lr=&ie=UTF-8&
scoring=d

or

http://makeashorterlink.com/?N2AD12C65

Most recently "John Zimmerman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Found this article..
>
> There have been a lot of people that have called the whole thing a
> hoax, whether it is because of the position of the system or because
> of the name. The creators say go ahead and speculate but stop
> laughing.

<snip>

>One of the interesting things, Tim Roberts (CEO and founder) noted is...

<snip>
------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^--------

Hmmm... no link to said "article" or credit as to who wrote it.

So who is infiniumlabs?

whois -h whois.register.com infiniumlabs.com ...

<snip boilerplate>

Steve Foster
5380 Gulf of Mexico Drive
Longboat Key, FL 34228
US
Phone: (877) 482-9585
Fax..: (877) 482-9585
Email: (E-Mail Removed)

"John Zimmerman" is posting from 68.56.230.97:

Trying 68.56.230 at ARIN
Comcast Cable Communications, Inc. JUMPSTART-1 (NET-68-32-0-0-1)
68.32.0.0 - 68.63.255.255
Comcast Cable Communications, Inc. WESTFLORIDA-2 (NET-68-56-0-0-1)
68.56.0.0 - 68.56.255.255

That's kind of a coincidence, isn't it?

I wonder if I can find anything else from (E-Mail Removed) out
there...

Well, that's kind of funny because the first time I searched for that
email addy, I got a hit on a website. Then I got distracted and lost the
page, and subsequent searches didn't find any matches! Damn!

Okay, how about: http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/30273

See that 7th post from the top by a guy calling himself "twcbinc", from
the home of Infinium Labs - Longboat Key, FL?

"I think it would be cool, if it allowed you to puchase any game any
time you want. I am sick of CD's being scratched by my kids and want a
system which has educational games for my kids."

That kind of sounds like another part of that recent "article" posted by
"John Zimmerman":

"You'll have CDs that get scratched that will no longer work and you
have to front the cost to buy the
same game multiple times... The most frustrating is the titles only appeal
to the 8-18 year olds and don't offer the genres and title selection which
appeals to the 3-38 year olds which is 80% of the market today."

Does anyone else use "twcbinc"?

http://www.timr.tv/project_photos.htm

Why, it's TIMOTHY MUNRO ROBERTS founder and CEO of Infinium Labs!
511 Harbor Gate Way, Longboat Key, FL 34228
(941) 383-8721 / Fax (941) 383-9891
Cell (941) 685-5089
MSN Messenger SN: twcbinc
Mobile Email Address:
(E-Mail Removed)

An MSN messenger name can usually be appended to an @hotmail.com address
can't it?

Also, check out the email addy Mr. Roberts lists at
http://www.timr.tv - (E-Mail Removed)

Maybe someone wouldn't mind letting Tim know that there's more honest
ways to generate buzz for his upcoming console...

And if you're thinking about taking down your projects page Timmy, I
already "wgot" it and I'll be happy to mirror it for you. Now please pack
up your John Zimmerman sock puppet and go home!

--
OK

slapkicksy

The Phantom can kiss my arse.

massivegrooves

Geez...not the Phantom again ;0)

Load of horse-****, and something that already exists...it's called PC
gaming. **** that...upgrading crap all the time, finding things that are not
compatable with one another, and a quite strict subscription service for the
games on it. No thanks, I will take my "toy" console that I spent a couple
hundred on over this likely over-priced piece of crap any day.

in article (E-Mail Removed), John Zimmerman
at (E-Mail Removed) wrote on 7/28/03 10:44 PM:

> [...]
> a way to ensure there is never any downtime. We were the first to
> offer Service Level Agreements or SLA's in the Tier 1 datacom
> industry. We know how to build the scalability and reliability and I
> think the difference in why we're going to be successful is because
> PhantomNet™ has been built by the guys that know how to build
> infrastructure, not being built by game developers. "
>
> With a 2-3 GHz processor and a 120 gig hard drive, component video,
> cable modem, RF receiver all built into the system and the best video
> card on the market, the Phantom looks to make a huge impact on the
> gaming world.
>
> "We are going to do to the gaming industry what mp3.com has done to
> the music industry, only we have a better mouse trap which eventually
> will provide movies, music and e-books on demand" says Roberts.

Onion Knight wrote:
<snip>
| Does anyone else use "twcbinc"?
|
| http://www.timr.tv/project_photos.htm
|
| Why, it's TIMOTHY MUNRO ROBERTS founder and CEO of Infinium Labs!
| 511 Harbor Gate Way, Longboat Key, FL 34228
| (941) 383-8721 / Fax (941) 383-9891
| Cell (941) 685-5089
| MSN Messenger SN: twcbinc
| Mobile Email Address:
| (E-Mail Removed)

<snip>
| Now please pack up your John Zimmerman sock puppet and go home!

Nice work Columbo

Just one more thing....

Doug Jacobs

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Zackman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > consumers are
> > predicted to spend 7 times more time playing games than watching
> > television over the next 5 years (DFC Intelligence).

> Bullshit. Let's see this "intelligence."

Of all the things to flame this idiot for, this one can actually hold water.

A friend of mine is in advertising (writes ads for magazines, billboards,
newspapers) but has seen several studies that all point to sharply declining
time people 12-25 spend watching TV. Video games and the internet are the
top two cited reasons for this drop.

As a gamer (of course you're a gamer, otherwise you wouldn't be here...)
what would you rather do? Watch TV or play a game?

Throw in the ever growing number of PVR/TiVo devices, all which only decreases
the amount of TV you watch (seriously...) and this statement isn't so wacky
as it first sounds.

The rest of the article, not to mention the company/product itself, on the
other hand...

> > With a 2-3 GHz processor and a 120 gig hard drive, component video,
> > cable modem, RF receiver all built into the system and the best video
> > card on the market, the Phantom looks to make a huge impact on the
> > gaming world.

> Until the PS3 and Xbox2 come out a year or so later and make it obsolete.

The thing is already obsolete, and will be even more obsolete when it
hits the market - assuming it *ever* hits the market. I can't think of
anyone who would be interested in this thing.