Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Linux distro for laptops

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Linux distro for laptops

 
 
mnm snr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-28-2003

linux has run well on laptops for the past five years

it sounds like you would do yourself a big favour if you joined your local
linux users group

http://wlug.paradise.net.nz/



On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:42:55 +1200, Dany P. Wu wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to install a linux system on a laptop, Celery 600 with 128 MB
> Ram. Can anyone suggest what distro runs well on laptops, with reasonable
> hardware support? It's a fairly typical middle-aged Toshiba with nothing
> too exotic in hardware except for PCMCIA 10/100 NIC.
>
> I was leaning towards Debian for no particular reason - does that sound
> reasonable? If so, does anyone in Wellington have a copy of the latest
> distro on CD for me to copy? I only have a dialup connection at home which
> is painfully slow for downloading ISO images. If there are no offers then
> I will resort to downloading but a borrowed copy would be immensely
> appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
mnm snr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-28-2003

have a look at this

http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=lin...laptops%20acer

there's usually someone who has had a go trying to put linux on anything
that runs electricity.

with your test did the hdd have any os on it when you loaded the boot cd?
if not try bootdisk.com, make a 500mb partition and then boot the mandrake
cd.

winmodems are so common these days you would have to be unlucky not to
find drivers for it, check the laptop spec (do a google for the
chipset or check freshmeat)




On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:22:43 +1200, gromit wrote:

>
> I went to Harvey Norman with a friend on Saturday to see if we could load
> Mandrake 9.1 onto an Acer Aspire DeskNote but there was no way the OS
> would see the hard drive.
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
gromit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-29-2003

Yes, the laptop had WinXP home on it, but of course I was wanting to resize
the partition and load Mandrake onto the partition I made.


I've done it no worries at all on other machines but this one just would not
see the hard drive at all.


Hmmmmm.


I haven't read up a lot on which winmodems are able to run under Linux, but
rather than a Winmodem I was hoping it would have a real modem, but the guy
in the shop couldn't tell me. Ummm, he looked a bit blank actually, I
don't think he even knew what I was talking about.


Cheers

Gromit


-------------------------------------------------------


mnm snr wrote:

>
> have a look at this
>
> http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=lin...laptops%20acer
>
> there's usually someone who has had a go trying to put linux on anything
> that runs electricity.
>
> with your test did the hdd have any os on it when you loaded the boot cd?
> if not try bootdisk.com, make a 500mb partition and then boot the mandrake
> cd.
>
> winmodems are so common these days you would have to be unlucky not to
> find drivers for it, check the laptop spec (do a google for the
> chipset or check freshmeat)
>
>
>
>
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:22:43 +1200, gromit wrote:
>
>>
>> I went to Harvey Norman with a friend on Saturday to see if we could load
>> Mandrake 9.1 onto an Acer Aspire DeskNote but there was no way the OS
>> would see the hard drive.
>>


 
Reply With Quote
 
bambam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-29-2003
gromit <GR0M!(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:8asVa.8097$(E-Mail Removed):

> Yes, the laptop had WinXP home on it, but of course I was wanting
> to resize the partition and load Mandrake onto the partition I
> made.


Wouldn't a Knoppix CD be a better option to test hardware
compatability? Especially in a shop.

--
If Guys Ruled the World............
Dinner break would happen every hour and the boss would hire in
strippers and 2000 dollar a night hookers for the duration of those
breaks.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Uncle StoatWarbler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-29-2003
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:39:57 +1200, gromit wrote:

>
> Yes, the laptop had WinXP home on it, but of course I was wanting to
> resize the partition and load Mandrake onto the partition I made.


Use knoppix. It's designed for this kind of test.


 
Reply With Quote
 
lily
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-29-2003

"Uncle StoatWarbler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:39:57 +1200, gromit wrote:
>
> >
> > Yes, the laptop had WinXP home on it, but of course I was wanting to
> > resize the partition and load Mandrake onto the partition I made.

>
> Use knoppix. It's designed for this kind of test.
>
>

Its quite laptop friendly too.
Use the framebuffer cheatcodes offered at startup F2 to set your native
screen size and try enabling alsa support if the sound doesn't work.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
python linux distro azrael Python 10 02-10-2007 10:52 AM
Consumer-Friendly Linux Distro Found in Linspire Five-O Au79 Computer Support 3 07-25-2006 07:43 PM
Stunning Linux Distro Au79 Computer Support 0 04-18-2006 04:21 PM
linux distro requirements John Jay Smith Computer Support 1 02-16-2006 03:15 PM
Laptops,laptops Mark Computer Support 1 09-20-2004 05:10 AM



Advertisments