Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: TelstraClear service in Tawa???

Re: TelstraClear service in Tawa???

Carl Elphick

"Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6PiTa.6590$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It costs a LOT to build a cable network underground. More than rolling it
> out over power poles. And all of Tawa is underground. I wouldn't hold your
> breath waiting for it to happen.

Is TelstraClear actually expanding the cable network at all at present?
Their website is still talking about expanding into central/south auckland
but far as I am aware nothing has come of it.
Tho on a positive note the network techie I had here a few weeks ago says
they are thinking about making the cable network digital soon (maybe to
follow Foxtel?)
Tho soon = end of the year, but I doubt that will happen.

Keith

In article <0KOTa.7028$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Tho on a positive note the network techie I had here a few weeks ago says
> they are thinking about making the cable network digital soon (maybe to
> follow Foxtel?)

Cable goes digital???????????????????????????????????

Carl Elphick

"Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> In article <0KOTa.7028$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
> > Tho on a positive note the network techie I had here a few weeks ago

says
> > they are thinking about making the cable network digital soon (maybe to
> > follow Foxtel?)

> Cable goes digital???????????????????????????????????

Yeah, so they can compress the signal harder, which also means lots and lots
more channels being able to be put down the cable!

Keith

In article <G14Ua.7205$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

> "Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > In article <0KOTa.7028$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> > says...
> > > Tho on a positive note the network techie I had here a few weeks ago

> says
> > > they are thinking about making the cable network digital soon (maybe to
> > > follow Foxtel?)

> > Cable goes digital???????????????????????????????????

> Yeah, so they can compress the signal harder, which also means lots and lots
> more channels being able to be put down the cable!

I was attempting to be sarcastic Surely the Saturn fibre optic cable
network is by definition already digital?

Perhaps the techie was talking about some new transmission protocol
thatenabled greater bandwidth?

Malcolm Moore

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 19:41:53 +1200, Keith <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <G14Ua.7205$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>says...
>>
>> "Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> > In article <0KOTa.7028$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>> > says...

>> says
>> >
>> > Cable goes digital???????????????????????????????????

>> Yeah, so they can compress the signal harder, which also means lots and lots
>> more channels being able to be put down the cable!

>I was attempting to be sarcastic Surely the Saturn fibre optic cable
>network is by definition already digital?
>
>Perhaps the techie was talking about some new transmission protocol
>thatenabled greater bandwidth?

What is connected to subscribers properties is not fibre optic, it is
coaxial cable and carries the TV programs as an analog signal. For
cable internet the digital signal is modulated on a carrier, hence the
cable modem. The fibre is used further up the chain to distribute the
signal to your suburb.
A cynic could make the case that their trumpeting about the use of
fibre came out of the advertising agency.

Regards
Malcolm.