Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Half Life 2

Half Life 2

Ali P

Hi, I don't know if this has been discussed here before but who here is
pretty much wetting their pants at the thought of playing Half Life 2. I
admit it, I am.
I downloaded the 600MB E3 preview quicktime movie from the jetstream ftp
and after watching it I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. For those who
haven't seen it and have a jetstart connection, log on using the
jetstreamgames context and download it from ftp.jetstreamgames.co.nz - it
won't affect your data cap and you'll download at full speed (around 300K
per second) even on jetstream starter connections. The path is:
ftp://ftp.jetstreamgames.co.nz/pub/m...2_full_gsi.zip
Then prepare to be reduced to a gibbering wreck with anticipation. It looks
and plays like a movie. The AI and real-world physics are mind-bogglingly
complex. Time to get a new video card methinks. ATI and Nvidia must be
rubbing their hands in glee.
AL

Stephen Williams

> Hi, I don't know if this has been discussed here before but who here is
> pretty much wetting their pants at the thought of playing Half Life 2. I
> admit it, I am.
> I downloaded the 600MB E3 preview quicktime movie from the jetstream ftp
> and after watching it I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. For those who
> haven't seen it and have a jetstart connection, log on using the
> jetstreamgames context and download it from ftp.jetstreamgames.co.nz - it
> won't affect your data cap and you'll download at full speed (around 300K
> per second) even on jetstream starter connections. The path is:
> ftp://ftp.jetstreamgames.co.nz/pub/m...2_full_gsi.zip
> Then prepare to be reduced to a gibbering wreck with anticipation. It

looks
> and plays like a movie. The AI and real-world physics are mind-bogglingly
> complex. Time to get a new video card methinks. ATI and Nvidia must be
> rubbing their hands in glee.
> AL

I've been beefing up my system in anticipation, this one game is costing me
over 10 times what it will actually retail for lol.

Steve

colinco

In article <GztTa.6801$(E-Mail Removed)>, Ali P wrote...
> It looks and plays like a movie.

Because like a movie it has probably been edited to look good

SNOman

"StuM" <stum@_remove_this_dr.com> wrote in message
news:VhFTa.90249$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "colinco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In article <GztTa.6801$(E-Mail Removed)>, Ali P wrote...
> > > It looks and plays like a movie.
> > >

> > Because like a movie it has probably been edited to look good

> I dont think so. From the videos i've seen its actual in game footage.
> Halflife2 will set the standard for FPS's this year like the orginal did
> years ago.
>
> Im very excited!!
>
> StuM.

Any idea what the minimum PC specs will be?

Alan

Whatever happened to TF2?

"Ali P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GztTa.6801$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I don't know if this has been discussed here before but who here is
> pretty much wetting their pants at the thought of playing Half Life 2. I
> admit it, I am.
> I downloaded the 600MB E3 preview quicktime movie from the jetstream ftp
> and after watching it I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. For those who
> haven't seen it and have a jetstart connection, log on using the
> jetstreamgames context and download it from ftp.jetstreamgames.co.nz - it
> won't affect your data cap and you'll download at full speed (around 300K
> per second) even on jetstream starter connections. The path is:
> ftp://ftp.jetstreamgames.co.nz/pub/m...2_full_gsi.zip
> Then prepare to be reduced to a gibbering wreck with anticipation. It

looks
> and plays like a movie. The AI and real-world physics are mind-bogglingly
> complex. Time to get a new video card methinks. ATI and Nvidia must be
> rubbing their hands in glee.
> AL

cowboyz

"SNOman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bfn7fc$rje$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "StuM" <stum@_remove_this_dr.com> wrote in message
> news:VhFTa.90249$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "colinco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > In article <GztTa.6801$(E-Mail Removed)>, Ali P wrote...
> > > >
> > > Because like a movie it has probably been edited to look good

> > I dont think so. From the videos i've seen its actual in game footage.
> > Halflife2 will set the standard for FPS's this year like the orginal did
> > years ago.
> >
> > Im very excited!!
> >
> > StuM.
> >

> Any idea what the minimum PC specs will be?

dunno but I'm guessing it is gonna be one of those games you don't want to
play on min specs anyway. Looks good and might be time for another
upgrade! half life got me into playing FPS in the first place. I better
stock up on some sleep now.........

--
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

Nicholas Sherlock

"PseUDO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c7KTa.6971$(E-Mail Removed)...
> New Zealands Half Life 2 community
>
> http://www.hl2.co.nz/
>
> The PC that ran the demo's at this years E3 show was a Dell XPS with a
> 2.8Ghz P4, ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128MB card, with Anti-aliasing turned off,
> and anisotropic filtering turned off.
> The demo was only running at 60fps!!.
>
> So that gives you something to go on.

Final releases are always more efficient than development versions.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Ben Perston

PseUDO wrote:
> New Zealands Half Life 2 community
>
> http://www.hl2.co.nz/
>
> The PC that ran the demo's at this years E3 show was a Dell XPS with a
> 2.8Ghz P4, ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128MB card, with Anti-aliasing turned off,
> and anisotropic filtering turned off.
> The demo was only running at 60fps!!.
>
> So that gives you something to go on.
>
> PseUDO

I'd like to hope that it had vsync enabled and the refresh rate was 60
Hz .

Nicholas Sherlock

"Ben Perston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> PseUDO wrote:
> > New Zealands Half Life 2 community
> >
> > http://www.hl2.co.nz/
> >
> > The PC that ran the demo's at this years E3 show was a Dell XPS with a
> > 2.8Ghz P4, ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128MB card, with Anti-aliasing turned

off,
> > and anisotropic filtering turned off.
> > The demo was only running at 60fps!!.
> >
> > So that gives you something to go on.
> >
> > PseUDO

> I'd like to hope that it had vsync enabled and the refresh rate was 60
> Hz .

Anyone got any screenies?

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock