Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DSL modem router recommendation

DSL modem router recommendation

Bruce Simpson

Okay, I'm shifting house next week and my new abode is in an area that
has DSL (at last).

So, what's the recommended DSL modem (preferably something including a
3-4 port hub and good firewalling capabilities with a price tag under
$10

Allistar

Bruce Simpson wrote:

> Okay, I'm shifting house next week and my new abode is in an area that
> has DSL (at last).
>
> So, what's the recommended DSL modem (preferably something including a
> 3-4 port hub and good firewalling capabilities with a price tag under
> $10

Not quite under $10 but I use and recommend the Nokia M1122. Built in
firewall, easy to configure with a web interface, you can open up pinholes
to allow remote connections etc. Have never had any trouble with it. It has
4 10Mb/s ports on it.

Allistar.

Bruce Simpson

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:13:45 +1200, Allistar
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bruce Simpson wrote:
>
>> Okay, I'm shifting house next week and my new abode is in an area that
>> has DSL (at last).
>>
>> So, what's the recommended DSL modem (preferably something including a
>> 3-4 port hub and good firewalling capabilities with a price tag under
>> $10

>Not quite under $10 but I use and recommend the Nokia M1122. Built in
>firewall, easy to configure with a web interface, you can open up pinholes
>to allow remote connections etc. Have never had any trouble with it. It has
>4 10Mb/s ports on it.

And who sells those here?

Matt B

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Bruce Simpson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:13:45 +1200, Allistar
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Bruce Simpson wrote:
>>
>>> Okay, I'm shifting house next week and my new abode is in an area
>>> that has DSL (at last).
>>>
>>> So, what's the recommended DSL modem (preferably something
>>> including a 3-4 port hub and good firewalling capabilities with a
>>> price tag under $10

>> Not quite under $10 but I use and recommend the Nokia M1122. Built in
>> firewall, easy to configure with a web interface, you can open up
>> pinholes to allow remote connections etc. Have never had any trouble
>> with it. It has 4 10Mb/s ports on it.

> And who sells those here?

AFAIK they've been discontinued, but I have a spare that I could be
persuaded to part with.

(All - what's a reasonable price for one of these now?)

At home I'm using a DSE X-something-or-other - 4 port 100Mbps switch,
optional USB, sweet as and cheap (circa $250). Pulled the Nokia out of the
loop at the office and replaced with another beast (which I can't recall -
will check and get back) that has full SPI firewall, solid as a rock.

I know, not tremendously helpful...

--
Regards,

Matt B
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are 10 types of people.
Those who get binary...
And those who don't.

Nathan Mercer

I recommend the Dynalink DSL Routers

This one has a 4 port 100mb switch
http://www.dynalink.co.nz/products/rta300.htm

This one is the same as the above but with 802.11b WiFi
http://www.dynalink.co.nz/products/rta300w.htm

Both support (and it actually works) UPnP for traversing NATs