Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > iBook Overheated

iBook Overheated

Project Mayhem

I could smell burning plastic, the top left corner was way hotter than
usual, and it wouldn't wake up or boot when I forced a restart. The fan
was blowing hard, I never noticed it had a fan before. It came right
later after I started up from a CD, probably just a coincidence though.

Is this to be expected occasionally, and the computer's normal defence
mechanism? Would you get it looked at or not? If I'm going to be told
nothing's wrong with it, I don't want the inconvenience of being without
it for that period.

BTW, there's a noticeable drop in the quality between my recent 900 MHz
iBook, and my sister's 500 MHz. The materials look cheaper, and the
manufacturing tolerances lower (things like panel gaps, how screws align
up under the keyboard etc.). I hope the trend doesn't continue.

Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem wrote:
> I could smell burning plastic, the top left corner was way hotter than
> usual, and it wouldn't wake up or boot when I forced a restart. The fan
> was blowing hard, I never noticed it had a fan before. It came right
> later after I started up from a CD, probably just a coincidence though.
>
> Is this to be expected occasionally, and the computer's normal defence
> mechanism? Would you get it looked at or not? If I'm going to be told
> nothing's wrong with it, I don't want the inconvenience of being without
> it for that period.
>
> BTW, there's a noticeable drop in the quality between my recent 900 MHz
> iBook, and my sister's 500 MHz. The materials look cheaper, and the
> manufacturing tolerances lower (things like panel gaps, how screws align
> up under the keyboard etc.). I hope the trend doesn't continue.

Never mind. After a bit of research, I found the reason. My latch is
broken (it comes out very slowly, I think I splashed some liquid in
there) and the swtich is in there isn't it? I must have closed it while
it was still going, or it popped open a bit more and started going. I
was putting off getting the latch reparied thinking I'll have to pay if
there is soft drink goo in there or something. I assumed the switch was
in the rocker at the bottom of the screen, and the latch didn't have
much to do with it.

Help, solo 5300 overheated and now doesn't disply right natl@hotmail.com Computer Support 4 05-20-2006 05:43 PM
iBook prob with Cisco 1200 AP Tom Lowry Cisco 0 06-06-2005 08:00 PM
flash cards and overheated cars dummyaccount@electricant.net Digital Photography 4 12-21-2004 11:25 AM
Overheated? Bart Computer Support 2 09-02-2004 12:41 AM
Sending mail problem with Netscape 7.02 and ibook with sys 9.2? Mac Main Firefox 4 05-12-2004 07:30 AM

Advertisments