Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Telecom and Telstra attempt to restrict peering to each other - media coverage

Re: Telecom and Telstra attempt to restrict peering to each other - media coverage

Matthew Poole

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Uncle StoatWarbler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
*SNIP*
>WRT comments about anticompetitive behaviour, etc, it was made abundantly
>obvious by Clear and Clearnet that their longterm veiw was that they only
>wanted telco-owned ISPs in NZ.

*SNIP*
Three of the four largest ARE owned by telcos. Telecom, TelstraClear
and IHUG. CallPlus is a not-insignificant player, and is also a telco.

I can see this backfiring horribly on TC. The "small" ISPs will all
lock them out of the peering exchanges, peer with each other as per
current practice, and then get business on the basis of lower costs for
traffic between each other.
Particularly if Telecom maintain existing peering agreements, leaving TC
as the only player who want to try and bring the tier-peering model
here.

I wish the ****ing Aussies would just **** off and let us run our corner
of the 'net in our own way. It seems to be working so far, as we've got
a higher per-capita level of connectivity than just about everywhere
else in the world (including Australia, by quite some margin).

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

Matthew Poole

In article <bfclre$d9bat$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, Jay <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Matthew Poole wrote:
>

>> I wish the ****ing Aussies would just **** off and let us run our corner
>> of the 'net in our own way. It seems to be working so far, as we've got
>> a higher per-capita level of connectivity than just about everywhere
>> else in the world (including Australia, by quite some margin).
>>

>But you have no affordable broadband!

Like yours is much better?
And you'd do well to take a look at Wired Country.

>NZers often think they are better than about everywhere in the
>world ... but that is just a delusion.
>While comparable countries have progressed over the last couple
>of decades NZ has gone backwards.

No, NZ just hasn't gone forwards.
And when it comes to inter-ISP traffic, NZ's system is streets ahead of
any other country.

>How many satellites has NZ launched? And how many of the satellites
>that Australia launched does NZ depend on?

When did Australia last launch a satellite I mean launch itself, not ?
just piggy back of someone else.
How many US and European satellites does Australia depend on?
Considerably more than you've launched, that's for sure.

>You should study some _facts_.

You sound like Roger.

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around"

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

Jay

Matthew Poole wrote:

> I wish the ****ing Aussies would just **** off and let us run our corner
> of the 'net in our own way. It seems to be working so far, as we've got
> a higher per-capita level of connectivity than just about everywhere
> else in the world (including Australia, by quite some margin).

But you have no affordable broadband!

NZers often think they are better than about everywhere in the
world ... but that is just a delusion.
While comparable countries have progressed over the last couple
of decades NZ has gone backwards.

How many satellites has NZ launched? And how many of the satellites
that Australia launched does NZ depend on?

You should study some _facts_.

http://www.itu.int/itunews/issue/200...ndicators.html

Jay

Matthew Poole wrote:

> In article <bfclre$d9bat$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, Jay
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Matthew Poole wrote:
>>

>>> I wish the ****ing Aussies would just **** off and let us run our corner
>>> of the 'net in our own way. It seems to be working so far, as we've got
>>> a higher per-capita level of connectivity than just about everywhere
>>> else in the world (including Australia, by quite some margin).
>>>

>>But you have no affordable broadband!
>>

> Like yours is much better?
> And you'd do well to take a look at Wired Country.

Here are some facts for you:
http://www.itu.int/itunews/issue/200...ndicators.html

>>NZers often think they are better than about everywhere in the
>>world ... but that is just a delusion.
>>While comparable countries have progressed over the last couple
>>of decades NZ has gone backwards.
>>

> No, NZ just hasn't gone forwards.

Exactly.

> And when it comes to inter-ISP traffic, NZ's system is streets ahead of
> any other country.

Because NZ has only about 80 ISPs - total!?
And therefore very little inter-ISP traffic.
Also, most hosting is done outside of NZ so international connectivity
is much more significant.

Maybe you should visit Korea or Japan to broaden your outlook.
NZ is *not* streets ahead of any other country.

>>How many satellites has NZ launched? And how many of the satellites
>>that Australia launched does NZ depend on?
>>

> When did Australia last launch a satellite I mean launch itself, not ?
> just piggy back of someone else.

A couple of weeks ago. It was launched from Guyana, of course.
But NZ hasn't even paid to develop and launch a satellite.
The C1 is owned outright by Australia's Optus.

> How many US and European satellites does Australia depend on?

None.

> Considerably more than you've launched, that's for sure.
>
>>You should study some _facts_.
>>

> You sound like Roger.

Roger who?

Steve

Matthew Poole allegedly said:

> I wish the ****ing Aussies would just **** off and let us run our corner
> of the 'net in our own way. It seems to be working so far, as we've got
> a higher per-capita level of connectivity than just about everywhere
> else in the world (including Australia, by quite some margin).

Same goes for the banking industry......

--
Steve

Craig Whitmore

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:30:38 +0000, Matthew Poole wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Uncle StoatWarbler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> *SNIP*
>>WRT comments about anticompetitive behaviour, etc, it was made abundantly
>>obvious by Clear and Clearnet that their longterm veiw was that they only
>>wanted telco-owned ISPs in NZ.
>>

> *SNIP*
> Three of the four largest ARE owned by telcos. Telecom, TelstraClear
> and IHUG. CallPlus is a not-insignificant player, and is also a telco.

There are lots of people up at APE (Auckland Peering Exchange), and they mostly all will peer with you
with a simple email to the techs except for Telstra Clear I have found (well for
me).
When emailed about it , they said "Due to policies they cannot peer" , but
when I asked what their "Policies where"
(So maybe I can meet it, (ie size, amount of traffic going into their
network etc) ,I heard nothing back from them.

When "TelstraClear" where "Clear", they (Clear) had no problems Peering
with anyone.

Thanks
Craig

Kerrie Felderton

Jay wrote:

> >>You should study some _facts_.
> >>

> > You sound like Roger.
> >

> Roger who?

Roger posts True FACTS That Do Not Even Have To Be Proven.
You would be very new to this group if you had not yet
encountered The Man Of Many Aliases.

--
Kerrie

Jay

Kerrie Felderton wrote:

>> > You sound like Roger.
>> >

>> Roger who?

> Roger posts True FACTS That Do Not Even Have To Be Proven.
> You would be very new to this group if you had not yet
> encountered The Man Of Many Aliases.

He wouldn't be the only one.

Master Tech

>> When did Australia last launch a satellite I mean launch itself,
>> not ? just piggy back of someone else.

> A couple of weeks ago. It was launched from Guyana, of course.
> The C1 is owned outright by Australia's Optus.

Speaking of facts, and the remarkable ability of them to be absent from
postings to this newsgroups... C1 wasn't launched by Australia.

June 11, 2003 - Ariane 5G
* deploying the Australian Optus and Defence C1 communications satellite and
Japanese BSAT 2c direct broadcasting spacecraft into geosynchronous transfer
orbit.

* C1 The craft was built by a team comprised of Mitsubishi Electric
Corporation, Space Systems/Loral and Raytheon Systems Company.

http://spaceflightnow.com/ariane/v161/

Claiming something as your own, yet others build and launch....

Hmm, you're an Australian right ?

Jay

Master Tech wrote:

> Jay wrote:
>> It *was* launched by Australia because an Australian company
>> paid for it to be launched.

> It *was* launched by a European company for an Australian contract. Just
> because you're an Australian doesn't mean you have to munt the English
> language.

And it *is* an Australian satellite.
If it isn't an Australian satellite then please tell us who owns it.

> Just how many satellites have Australia launched ? Zero actually.

Australia has launched several satellites.
That latest being C1.