Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How to find a website from its IP address ?

How to find a website from its IP address ?

NZed

How do I find a website address from its IP address ?
for example IP 203.97.2.242

Looking forward to your replies
NZed

Gurble

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:26:23 +1200, "NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)> had
this to say:

>How do I find a website address from its IP address ?
>for example IP 203.97.2.242
>
>Looking forward to your replies
>NZed

It's called rDNS (or Reverse DNS).

Shoot on over to www.samspade.org.

The rDNS for the above IP address is:

netcache1-acld.auckland.clix.net.nz

Enkidu

wrote:

>How do I find a website address from its IP address ?
>for example IP 203.97.2.242
>
>Looking forward to your replies
>NZed

Use the nslookup command.

This is on Linux, but the same applies to Windows:

xxxxxx:~# nslookup 203.97.2.242
Note: nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead. Run nslookup
with
the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
Server: 192.168.1.67
Address: 192.168.1.67#53

Non-authoritative answer:
242.2.97.203.in-addr.arpa name =
netcache1-acld.auckland.clix.net.nz.

2.97.203.in-addr.arpa nameserver = dns1.clear.net.nz.
2.97.203.in-addr.arpa nameserver = dns2.clear.net.nz.
dns1.clear.net.nz internet address = 203.97.33.1
dns2.clear.net.nz internet address = 203.97.37.1

This doesn't appear to be an actual site name. Even it was, the IP
address could apply to a number of sites on the same machine, using
the same IP address but different host headers. There *is* a server at
that address. Without poking it a bit and annoying the sysadmin, it's
impossible to tell what.

Cheers,

Cliff

NZed

Thanks for your response.
I have been looking at my stats on my website and this one seems to be
visiting often....I wonder if its a search robot ?
NZed

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:26:23 +1200, "NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >How do I find a website address from its IP address ?
> >for example IP 203.97.2.242
> >
> >Looking forward to your replies
> >NZed
> >

> Use the nslookup command.
>
> This is on Linux, but the same applies to Windows:
>
> xxxxxx:~# nslookup 203.97.2.242
> Note: nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
> Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead. Run nslookup
> with
> the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
> Server: 192.168.1.67
> Address: 192.168.1.67#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> 242.2.97.203.in-addr.arpa name =
> netcache1-acld.auckland.clix.net.nz.
>
> Authoritative answers can be found from:
> 2.97.203.in-addr.arpa nameserver = dns1.clear.net.nz.
> 2.97.203.in-addr.arpa nameserver = dns2.clear.net.nz.
> dns1.clear.net.nz internet address = 203.97.33.1
> dns2.clear.net.nz internet address = 203.97.37.1
>
> This doesn't appear to be an actual site name. Even it was, the IP
> address could apply to a number of sites on the same machine, using
> the same IP address but different host headers. There *is* a server at
> that address. Without poking it a bit and annoying the sysadmin, it's
> impossible to tell what.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
> --
>
> Signed and sealed with Great Seal of the Executive
> Council of the Internet, by The Master of The Net.

Jay

NZed wrote:

> How do I find a website address from its IP address ?
> for example IP 203.97.2.242
>
> Looking forward to your replies
> NZed

dig -x 203.97.2.242

Nicholas Sherlock

"NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cm3Sa.5768$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your response.
> I have been looking at my stats on my website and this one seems to be
> visiting often....I wonder if its a search robot ?
> NZed

Doubt it. Looks like it's the caching mechanism from clix.net.nz

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Enkidu

If it is accessing *your* web server on port 80, it's not a website.
It's a user, possibly a spider, or maybe even a mild attackbot.

Cheers,

Cliff

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:59:02 +1200, "NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Thanks for your response.
>I have been looking at my stats on my website and this one seems to be
>visiting often....I wonder if its a search robot ?
>NZed
>
>"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:26:23 +1200, "NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >How do I find a website address from its IP address ?
>> >for example IP 203.97.2.242
>> >
>> >Looking forward to your replies
>> >NZed
>> >

>> Use the nslookup command.
>>
>> This is on Linux, but the same applies to Windows:
>>
>> xxxxxx:~# nslookup 203.97.2.242
>> Note: nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
>> Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead. Run nslookup
>> with
>> the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
>> Server: 192.168.1.67
>> Address: 192.168.1.67#53
>>
>> Non-authoritative answer:
>> 242.2.97.203.in-addr.arpa name =
>> netcache1-acld.auckland.clix.net.nz.
>>
>> Authoritative answers can be found from:
>> 2.97.203.in-addr.arpa nameserver = dns1.clear.net.nz.
>> 2.97.203.in-addr.arpa nameserver = dns2.clear.net.nz.
>> dns1.clear.net.nz internet address = 203.97.33.1
>> dns2.clear.net.nz internet address = 203.97.37.1
>>
>> This doesn't appear to be an actual site name. Even it was, the IP
>> address could apply to a number of sites on the same machine, using
>> the same IP address but different host headers. There *is* a server at
>> that address. Without poking it a bit and annoying the sysadmin, it's
>> impossible to tell what.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cliff
>> --
>>
>> Signed and sealed with Great Seal of the Executive
>> Council of the Internet, by The Master of The Net.

T.N.O.

NZed wrote:

> How do I find a website address from its IP address ?
> for example IP 203.97.2.242
>
> Looking forward to your replies
> NZed

it is netcache1-acld.auckland.clix.net.nz

Ask Clix..

Tony

"NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cm3Sa.5768$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your response.
> I have been looking at my stats on my website and this one seems to be
> visiting often....I wonder if its a search robot ?
> NZed

That is a Netcache ( http://www.netapp.com/products/netcache/ ) cache server
housed in Symonds St in Auckland, all "clix" ( ie the old Clearnet )
customers will pass though this ( or the other one sitting above it ) cache
for international web browsing.

constantinum constantinum is offline
Junior Member

great man super anwers