Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > I can read from my windows partition but cant write to it?

I can read from my windows partition but cant write to it?

cowboyzlinux

I would like to write to it. How do I do that? What is needed?

Steven Potter

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:11:07 +1200, cowboyzlinux wrote:

> I would like to write to it. How do I do that? What is needed?

It sounds like your partition is mounted read-only. This is the default
setting for NTFS partitions on most distributions. As far as changing
the settings, take a look at your /etc/fstab file. Look at the line that
is configuring you windows partition and replace the letters "RO" with
"RW".

Steve

Billy Watt

In newsan.2003.07.19.02.58.29.494568@axiumcomputers ervices.com,
Steven Potter <(E-Mail Removed)> rambled:
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:11:07 +1200, cowboyzlinux wrote:
>
>> I would like to write to it. How do I do that? What is needed?

> It sounds like your partition is mounted read-only. This is the
> default setting for NTFS partitions on most distributions. As far as
> changing the settings, take a look at your /etc/fstab file. Look at
> the line that is configuring you windows partition and replace the
> letters "RO" with "RW".

DO NOT under any circumstances enable writing to an NTFS partition. It
doesn't work and WILL trash your NTFS drive.

Besides, you'd have to check the kernel had write support for NTFS selected,
most don't and it has warnings all over the help section for it.

Billy

Dave Uhring

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:03:34 +0000, Billy Watt wrote:

> In newsan.2003.07.19.02.58.29.494568@axiumcomputers ervices.com,
> Steven Potter <(E-Mail Removed)> rambled:
>> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:11:07 +1200, cowboyzlinux wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to write to it. How do I do that? What is needed?

>> It sounds like your partition is mounted read-only. This is the
>> default setting for NTFS partitions on most distributions. As far as
>> changing the settings, take a look at your /etc/fstab file. Look at
>> the line that is configuring you windows partition and replace the
>> letters "RO" with "RW".
>>

> DO NOT under any circumstances enable writing to an NTFS partition. It
> doesn't work and WILL trash your NTFS drive.
>
> Besides, you'd have to check the kernel had write support for NTFS selected,
> most don't and it has warnings all over the help section for it.

Does the OP have a VFAT or NTFS Windoze partition? The moron failed to
mention that.

Billy Watt

In news(E-Mail Removed),
Dave Uhring <(E-Mail Removed)> rambled:

> Does the OP have a VFAT or NTFS Windoze partition? The moron failed
> to mention that.

No idea, I was just replying to the cretin who suggested writing to NTFS was
as easy as changing a letter in /etc/fstab.

Billy

Dave Uhring

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:13:03 +0000, Billy Watt wrote:

> In news(E-Mail Removed),
> Dave Uhring <(E-Mail Removed)> rambled:
>

>> Does the OP have a VFAT or NTFS Windoze partition? The moron failed
>> to mention that.

> No idea, I was just replying to the cretin who suggested writing to NTFS was
> as easy as changing a letter in /etc/fstab.

I should have acknowledged that. Chances are that the kernel's NTFS write
capability is not enabled anyway, though.

Enkidu

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I would like to write to it. How do I do that? What is needed?

Don't try and write to an NTFS partition from Linux. You will more
than likely trash the partition, If you feel suicidal, there is an
NTFS module that will let you write to an NTFS partition.

If it's FAT, just mount it as usual, assuming you have the FAT/VFAT
modules.

Cheers,

Cliff

cowboyzlinux

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:07:01 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:03:34 +0000, Billy Watt wrote:
>
>> In newsan.2003.07.19.02.58.29.494568@axiumcomputers ervices.com,
>> Steven Potter <(E-Mail Removed)> rambled:

>>> It sounds like your partition is mounted read-only. This is the
>>> default setting for NTFS partitions on most distributions. As far as
>>> changing the settings, take a look at your /etc/fstab file. Look at
>>> the line that is configuring you windows partition and replace the
>>> letters "RO" with "RW".
>>>

>> DO NOT under any circumstances enable writing to an NTFS partition. It
>> doesn't work and WILL trash your NTFS drive.
>>
>> Besides, you'd have to check the kernel had write support for NTFS selected,
>> most don't and it has warnings all over the help section for it.

> Does the OP have a VFAT or NTFS Windoze partition? The moron failed to
> mention that.

moron? Another example of why Linux is having a hard time making
mainstream. I have been using it for about a week and really like it but
with help and support like this? Never seen anyone helping out with
windows respond so negatively to a simple question.

Look at all the other posts in this thread to learn how to post without
making yourself look like a jackass.

~misfit~

"Billy Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bfacvv$446$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news(E-Mail Removed),
> Dave Uhring <(E-Mail Removed)> rambled:
>

> > Does the OP have a VFAT or NTFS Windoze partition? The moron failed
> > to mention that.

> No idea, I was just replying to the cretin who suggested writing to NTFS

was
> as easy as changing a letter in /etc/fstab.

"Moron"? "Cretin"? My my, how friendly this group is these days.

Ok, just noticed the Xposting, it must be people from outside of nz.comp.
--
~misfit~

---

~misfit~

"cowboyzlinux" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would like to write to it. How do I do that? What is needed?

Please don't xpost to linux groups *and* a general comp group.

If I want to read anymore than the already considerable amount of linux
posts we get in nz.comp I'll go to linux groups.

Thank you.
--
~misfit~

---