Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Telecom Take Note

Telecom Take Note

lily

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> RecylerMan wrote:
> > I down load Linux ISO's three disks for mandraek and another thee for
> > red hat oh then get somthing ellce and next thing you have done 4 to 6
> > gig in a month and no illegitmate traffic
> >

> Good for you... presumably "who is this" doesnt know you then.
>
> Do you re-download 2 x Linux each month? why?

Why not ?
Knoppix is a new image nearly every month, and there are ~150 distributions
out there, with variants for low latency, security, whatever.
Who are you to question what floats a fellow geeks boat ?

T.N.O.

lily wrote:

> "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>RecylerMan wrote:
>>
>>>I down load Linux ISO's three disks for mandraek and another thee for
>>>red hat oh then get somthing ellce and next thing you have done 4 to 6
>>>gig in a month and no illegitmate traffic
>>>

>>Good for you... presumably "who is this" doesnt know you then.
>>
>>Do you re-download 2 x Linux each month? why?
>>

> Why not ?
> Knoppix is a new image nearly every month, and there are ~150 distributions
> out there, with variants for low latency, security, whatever.
> Who are you to question what floats a fellow geeks boat ?

I was just asking...matter of interest like... I didnt think that there
was a new Mandrake and Redhat each month, are there monthly builds?

Who is this

In article <bfc8vb$c1h$(E-Mail Removed)>,
RecylerMan <(E-Mail Removed)0.nz> wrote:

> Who is this wrote:
> > In article <bfb7kc$i8j$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > RecylerMan <(E-Mail Removed)0.nz> wrote:
> >

> >>I down load Linux ISO's three disks for mandraek and another thee for
> >>red hat oh then get somthing ellce and next thing you have done 4 to 6
> >>gig in a month and no illegitmate traffic

> > Each and every month, wow, and I though linux was beautiful because it
> > was not bloated. Or am I to beleieve that it is so buggy that it
> > requires this each and every month?

> Not each and every month some times you get new relaces from two or more
> distrubutions on a month Seing as I sell them to those who cant download
> them It pays to keep them up to date as soon as you can as for the buggy
> and bloted well I can install a typical distrubution to a 500Mb disk
> this install would be for a firewall ruter setup currently I am using
> slackware 7 (that one just runns nice on little machines) on a pentium
> 133 in the back room Esmith on my server firewall ruter palying arround
> with Mandrake9.1 on a partition on this machine gonna install somthing
> next week as it takes my fancy the only reason I am using WIN2K is I
> baugt a licence and i mite as well use the dam thing... my server has
> only had thee pacthces This box has had too many lost count

Ahh, so what you are saying is that you are doing this for profit but
don't want to pay for the service and goods you are selling on to others.

lily

"Who is this" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <bfb7kc$i8j$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> RecylerMan <(E-Mail Removed)0.nz> wrote:
>

> > I down load Linux ISO's three disks for mandraek and another thee for
> > red hat oh then get somthing ellce and next thing you have done 4 to 6
> > gig in a month and no illegitmate traffic

> Each and every month, wow, and I though linux was beautiful because it
> was not bloated. Or am I to beleieve that it is so buggy that it
> requires this each and every month?

Nah, its just one guys hobby collecting distros
Pretty lame troll.
Specially with the size of Windows service packs now required for XP, and
thats just an OS with no appz

T.N.O.

lily wrote:

> "Who is this" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>In article <bfb7kc$i8j$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> RecylerMan <(E-Mail Removed)0.nz> wrote:
>>

>>>I down load Linux ISO's three disks for mandraek and another thee for
>>>red hat oh then get somthing ellce and next thing you have done 4 to 6
>>>gig in a month and no illegitmate traffic

>>Each and every month, wow, and I though linux was beautiful because it
>>was not bloated. Or am I to beleieve that it is so buggy that it
>>requires this each and every month?

> Nah, its just one guys hobby collecting distros
> Pretty lame troll.
> Specially with the size of Windows service packs now required for XP, and
> thats just an OS with no appz

It also depends on what you are using your machine for.
I use Linux as a hobby, and I use Windows because I know how, I am
learning(linux) but wont be swutching over full time fora while.

The SP's arent that big. besides, Redhat 9 was just a SP to 8, no major
things added, bugs fixed.

Enkidu

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 11:10:52 +1200, "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I was just asking...matter of interest like... I didnt think that there
>was a new Mandrake and Redhat each month, are there monthly builds?

No, but there's a constant stream of bug-fixes and security patches
coming out. I used to run up2date every couple of days and there was
quite often something to download.

Now I have switched to Debian and I'd say that just as many patches
come out for that. It doesn't take long to rack up 100 or more
patches.

If you don't do it, sure as eggs is eggs, you'll get bitten sooner or
later by some bug.

Cheers,

Cliff

Nicholas Sherlock

"RecylerMan" <(E-Mail Removed)0.nz> wrote in message
news:bfc8vb$c1h$(E-Mail Removed)...
<Snip rubbish>

Did someone steal the punctuation keys from your keyboard or something?

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Allistar

Who is this wrote:

> In article <bfahil$crs70$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
> Jay <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Who is this wrote:

>> > An I have yet to even break the 1G barrier even in the month where I
>> > downloaded 400Mb of system/software updates.

>> Wow!
>>

> The only people I know who break the 1G barrier are those who download
> heaps of MP3s, porn, and warez, none of which is legitimate traffic

I often break the 1Gb barrier. Dowloading Linux isos (at about 1.8Gb each).
Also connecting to remote computers using VPN connections, Metaframe and
VNC can use quite a bit of traffic as well.

Since when has MP3's (that aren't encumbered by copyright) illegitimate
traffic?

Since when is porn (of the legal kind - which most is I'd imagine)
illegitimate traffic?

Allistar.