Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Which dll needs updating?

Re: Which dll needs updating?

Patrick Bold

"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I did a new partition with a new Windows installation, mainly to
> trouble shoot some hardware. Installed drivers for SoundBlaster
> Ensonique soundcard and the update. Normally, the update changes the
> appearance of the System Tray icon and the application itself, but it
> won't change this time. I have little other software installed on
> this temporary installation, on 98SE. I suspect it has something to
> do with a dll file that needs updating. Anyone have an idea which
> dll?

If you expect a reply, you really need to be more specific. What problem
with your soundcard were you trying to troubleshoot in the first place? Are
your drivers actually installed now? Is your soundcard working? What's the
"update" you refer to -- a driver update or an application update? Is "the
appearance of the System Tray icon and the application itself " your only
problem? If so, what is it about the appearance that isn't right? What's
this application that you refer to do? And what leads you to believe that a
dll of some sort is missing?

GraB

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:42:40 -0400, "Patrick Bold"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
>> I did a new partition with a new Windows installation, mainly to
>> trouble shoot some hardware. Installed drivers for SoundBlaster
>> Ensonique soundcard and the update. Normally, the update changes the
>> appearance of the System Tray icon and the application itself, but it
>> won't change this time. I have little other software installed on
>> this temporary installation, on 98SE. I suspect it has something to
>> do with a dll file that needs updating. Anyone have an idea which
>> dll?

>If you expect a reply, you really need to be more specific. What problem
>with your soundcard were you trying to troubleshoot in the first place? Are
>your drivers actually installed now? Is your soundcard working? What's the
>"update" you refer to -- a driver update or an application update? Is "the
>appearance of the System Tray icon and the application itself " your only
>problem? If so, what is it about the appearance that isn't right? What's
>this application that you refer to do? And what leads you to believe that a
>dll of some sort is missing?

Nothing wrong with operation of soundcard. It is just that since the
update (driver and mixer) came available and was installed I got a
different icon in the system tray and the mixer was smaller with a
different look, neater. Also the updated system tray icon acts as a
volume control directly without having to open the mixer as with the
old one. It is not a case of a missing dll but I believe one that
needs to be updated. I have seen other windows features change when a
newer version of a dll was installed. Newer versions of dlls have
additional instructions in them.

Nicholas Sherlock

"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:42:40 -0400, "Patrick Bold"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >
> >> I did a new partition with a new Windows installation, mainly to
> >> trouble shoot some hardware. Installed drivers for SoundBlaster
> >> Ensonique soundcard and the update. Normally, the update changes the
> >> appearance of the System Tray icon and the application itself, but it
> >> won't change this time. I have little other software installed on
> >> this temporary installation, on 98SE. I suspect it has something to
> >> do with a dll file that needs updating. Anyone have an idea which
> >> dll?

> >If you expect a reply, you really need to be more specific. What problem
> >with your soundcard were you trying to troubleshoot in the first place?

Are
> >your drivers actually installed now? Is your soundcard working? What's

the
> >"update" you refer to -- a driver update or an application update? Is

"the
> >appearance of the System Tray icon and the application itself " your only
> >problem? If so, what is it about the appearance that isn't right? What's
> >this application that you refer to do? And what leads you to believe

that a
> >dll of some sort is missing?
> >

> Nothing wrong with operation of soundcard. It is just that since the
> update (driver and mixer) came available and was installed I got a
> different icon in the system tray and the mixer was smaller with a
> different look, neater. Also the updated system tray icon acts as a
> volume control directly without having to open the mixer as with the
> old one. It is not a case of a missing dll but I believe one that
> needs to be updated. I have seen other windows features change when a
> newer version of a dll was installed. Newer versions of dlls have
> additional instructions in them.

There is no dll being updated. *If* the sound card software designers have
written their own mixer, then it'll tell Windows that it is providing a new
mixer, and windows will use it. You can usually change the volume with the
Windows one without opening it by left clicking on it, then waiting a small
interval.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock