Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > External harddrives?

External harddrives?

Robert

External hard disk dies - no backups for any PC's.

"Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f162e9d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> They seem quite expensive but I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow to do
> backups on different pcs. I'm hoping that I can use it like a floppy and
> have different partitions for different pc's. Is this possible.
> What should I watch for?
> Joy

Joy

"Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:k9uRa.5397$(E-Mail Removed)...
> External hard disk dies - no backups for any PC's.

Good point.
Joy

GraB

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:59:04 +1200, "Acid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f162e9d$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> They seem quite expensive but I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow to do
>> backups on different pcs. I'm hoping that I can use it like a floppy and
>> have different partitions for different pc's. Is this possible.
>> What should I watch for?
>> Joy
>>

>Have you thought about a DVD writer? They are becoming more affordable

Looking on the Paradigm site: ICE ME320U2 USB2 to IDE external hard
drive enclosure, $126 including USB2 cable (all PCs would need USB).

Seagate Barracuda 5400.1 40Gb drive, $128.

Loads cheaper than a DVD writer, especially an external one.

Mainlander

In article <3f1631a0$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> "Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:CaqRa.5347$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In article <3f162e9d$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >They seem quite expensive but I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow to do
> > >backups on different pcs. I'm hoping that I can use it like a floppy and
> > >have different partitions for different pc's. Is this possible.
> > >What should I watch for?

> > What about an external CD writer instead. Probably better if it's for

> backups
>
> But it can't back up 4 gigs, can it.

If you need to back up that much regularly you should be looking at a
tape drive.

MarkH

"Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3f162e9d$(E-Mail Removed):

> They seem quite expensive but I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow to do
> backups on different pcs. I'm hoping that I can use it like a floppy and
> have different partitions for different pc's. Is this possible.
> What should I watch for?
> Joy

I have an external USB2 HDD enclosure. I can transfer about 1GB/minute
when connected to USB2, but it takes about 17 minutes per GB when
connecting it to a USB1.1 port.

If you need to back up several GB from each PC you will really want them to
all have USB2. You should be able to get a USB2 PCI card for under $50 (If
you cant then contact me and Ill get you one).

You also need either two HDDs or you could transfer the data to another PC,
a backup on one single disk is not really safe enough. One option is to
maintain a backup server with a tape drive and to copy the data on the
external drive to the backup server, which in turn backs it up to tape.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

Joy

"Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f162e9d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> They seem quite expensive but I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow to do
> backups on different pcs. I'm hoping that I can use it like a floppy and
> have different partitions for different pc's. Is this possible.
> What should I watch for?
> Joy

I'd like to add to this message by saying that the reason for this flurry of
activity is that we have been asked to find a copy of work done seven years
ago because of a pc network meltdown somewhere else in the country. Despite
gathering up all floppys from every conceivable nook and cranny we can't
find any copies. The pc's we owned then have either been donated or
reformated and it seems the work needs to be done again. SHAME. It brought
home to us that we have been lucky not to have suffered the same fate.
Joy

Bruce Sinclair

In article <3f1631a0$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>message news:CaqRa.5347$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <3f162e9d$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >They seem quite expensive but I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow to do
>> >backups on different pcs. I'm hoping that I can use it like a floppy and
>> >have different partitions for different pc's. Is this possible.
>> >What should I watch for?

>> What about an external CD writer instead. Probably better if it's for

>backups
>
>But it can't back up 4 gigs, can it.

Not in 1 hit AFAIK. Maybe you need a DVD writer ? ... think that will.
Do you need image backups ?

Bruce

Oook !
NOTE remove the not_ from the address to reply. NO SPAM !