Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Goodbye, Netscape.

Goodbye, Netscape.

Ralph Fox

http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=3422

| ... AOL has cut or will cut the remaining team working on Mozilla
| in a mass firing and are dismantling what was left of Netscape
| (they've even pulled the logos off the buildings).

Who is this

In article <bo7Ra.5184$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ralph Fox allegedly said:
>

> > http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=3422
> >

> > | ... AOL has cut or will cut the remaining team working on Mozilla
> > | in a mass firing and are dismantling what was left of Netscape
> > | (they've even pulled the logos off the buildings).

> Also worth distinguishing between Netscape and Mozilla.
>
> Mozilla is open source and development continues.

So is safari for the macintosh and it performs a dman sight better

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed). net.nz>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-echo.invalid says...

> http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=3422

The question beggars asking: w.t.f. did AOL ever bother buying Netscape?
This seems somewhat reminiscent of Corporate Raiderdom. Or just plain
stupidity.

Having said that I must admit that I stopped using Netscape some months
after Netscape 7 came out, with its compulsory 'activation' that wouldn't
work thorugh firewalls, had to be re-activated on every damn reinstall,
'active installers' that wouldn't work through the firewall, blah blah
blah: out-mickeying Mickeysoft by installing all kinds of bells and
whistles and chrome I didn't want even when told not to in a custom
install.
I got just plain sick of it and went over to using Mozilla and Opera in
turns. (still do)

Even so, I hate to see any, I mean ANY competitor to Mickeysoft go down
shipwrecked. And Netscape had ever so much more mana than the other
contenders.

my 2 cent's worth -P.

Who is this

In article <k8bRa.5253$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Who is this allegedly said:
>
> >> Mozilla is open source and development continues.

> > So is safari for the macintosh and it performs a dman sight better

> Galeon is probably the Linux equivalent.

based on the khtml engine ?

Who is this

In article <(E-Mail Removed). nz>,
Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Even so, I hate to see any, I mean ANY competitor to Mickeysoft go down
> shipwrecked. And Netscape had ever so much more mana than the other
> contenders.
>
> my 2 cent's worth -P.

I stop using netscape years ago when it would not print about 30-40% of
the web pages I wanted to print. I switched to IE but have been using
safari ever since it came out.

k y l e

"Ralph Fox" <(E-Mail Removed)-echo.invalid> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed) ise.net.nz...

> http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=3422
>

> | ... AOL has cut or will cut the remaining team working on Mozilla
> | in a mass firing and are dismantling what was left of Netscape
> | (they've even pulled the logos off the buildings).

Used it once in the early days, and again recently when IE6 was well and
truly The King. I'm not gonna miss it. Good riddance.

Jay

Julian Visch wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
>> Ralph Fox allegedly said:
>>

>>>http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=3422

>> Also worth distinguishing between Netscape and Mozilla.
>>
>> Mozilla is open source and development continues.

> I use both Mozilla and Konqueror, hopefully we won't get more idiots
> having IE only sites.
> Have tried IE and it is a piece of garbage doesn't even work well on its
> own OS, on other OSs it is a dog.

Just edit you own agent id in ~/.mozilla/xxxx/yyyyy/user.js

Something like this works well for every site I know of:

user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE
5.01; Windows 98");

The only catch is that you must use /5.0 if you want Java plugin to work.

Steve

Jay allegedly said:

> Steve wrote:

>>> So is safari for the macintosh and it performs a dman sight better

>> Galeon is probably the Linux equivalent.
>>

> No it isn't.
> Galeon uses the Mozilla engine.

I meant in terms of performance.

WIT said Safari performed a damn sight better.

--
Steve

Steve

Julian Visch allegedly said:

> I use both Mozilla and Konqueror, hopefully we won't get more idiots
> having IE only sites.

I usually sent a very short note to the webmaster asking them to support
alternatives and expressing my regret that I wasn't able to properly see
what they were offering. If it is a commerical site, I name their
competitors (if they support Mozilla better - and they usually do).

Few sites are IE only.

--
Steve

Steve

Jay allegedly said:

> Just edit you own agent id in ~/.mozilla/xxxx/yyyyy/user.js
>
> Something like this works well for every site I know of:
>
> user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE
> 5.01; Windows 98");
>
> The only catch is that you must use /5.0 if you want Java plugin to work.

The problem is they then think a Mozilla user is an IE user.

--
Steve