Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Digital Camera

Digital Camera

Brian Harmer

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:10:58 +1200, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I wish to buy a digital camera. What is a decent one at a decent price?
>Is a 2 megapixel cam good enough, or do I need 3?
>
>First to reply will be removed from my **** list. If you are female you
>may request sexual favours presuming you're not some pox infested gutter
>skank. Thanks very much.

OK Bobs, how many of us got off your **** list, or at least got
downgraded to a lower level of ****?

It seems females aren't replying (on the list, anyway), so did you get
any offers from p.i.g.s or otherwise?

Ian O

In article <IzaRa.5249$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Dodger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > How are the batteries selling
> > Personally I like the G series of canons cameras, infact he could pick
> > up a G2 (4MP) for about 1k if he shopped around. The batteries in the
> > G series are just about the longest lasting in the market (approx 400
> > shots), so almost no need for a second battery.

> Yep, the batteries in my G2 last for ages.
> Overall a great Cam

Yes, Canon seem to have some great digital products.

I did a side-by-side of the A70, G2 and G3 and the only additional
features available in the G series are 4x zoom (v's 3x), hotshoe flash*,
slow-sync flash, larger movie clip capacity, microdrive compatibility,
RAW format, larger flipout & twist LCD and a BIG Li-Ion battery, but at
twice the price of the A70.

The DPreview comparison charts don't include presets, do the G series
have them?

G2s are going for some interesting prices on eBay, around US$400-500

* Those inclined to soldering your fingers together may be interested to
note that Jaycar now have a Slave Flash kit (KC5364)that can even cope
with red-eye pre-flashes. $38. Could be useful when you need extra flash
on digicams without a hotshoe.

~ Ian O

Brian Harmer

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:26:15 +1200, Ian JEnkins
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ian O wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>> ** budget for at least two sets of NiMH's plus a charger. Digicams are
>> tough on batteries.

>I agree in total with getting a camera with AA NiMH rechageable
>batteries. They are far more cost effective than lithium batteries made
>for a particular model.

Heh! I have bought my NiMH batteries from Ian J for several years, so
I am not surprised that he would say that.

Nevertheless, having no connection with Ian other than as a satisfied
customer, I commend him and his range of batteries and chargers to
anyone looking for a good deal, good quality and customer service.

Brian Harmer
--
Brian M. Harmer

Kerry

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:10:58 +1200, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I wish to buy a digital camera. What is a decent one at a decent price?
>Is a 2 megapixel cam good enough, or do I need 3?

Well I love my Sony Cybershot. I don;t think it's worth going for
anything less than a 3.2

I love Sony's memory sticks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
Four be the things I am wiser to know:
Idleness, sorrow, a friend, and a foe.
Four be the things I'd been better without:
Love, curiousity, freckles, and doubt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

Kerry

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:30:44 +1200, "E. Scrooge"
<(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> wrote:

>"Kerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:10:58 +1200, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I wish to buy a digital camera. What is a decent one at a decent price?
>> >Is a 2 megapixel cam good enough, or do I need 3?
>> >

>> Well I love my Sony Cybershot. I don;t think it's worth going for
>> anything less than a 3.2
>>
>> I love Sony's memory sticks

>How's the battery life? Does it use a rechargeable battery, that lasts a
>while between charges?
>
>E. Scrooge

Very good indeed

yes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
Four be the things I am wiser to know:
Idleness, sorrow, a friend, and a foe.
Four be the things I'd been better without:
Love, curiousity, freckles, and doubt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

E. Scrooge

"Kerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:10:58 +1200, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I wish to buy a digital camera. What is a decent one at a decent price?
> >Is a 2 megapixel cam good enough, or do I need 3?
> >

> Well I love my Sony Cybershot. I don;t think it's worth going for
> anything less than a 3.2
>
> I love Sony's memory sticks

How's the battery life? Does it use a rechargeable battery, that lasts a
while between charges?

E. Scrooge

E. Scrooge

"Kerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:30:44 +1200, "E. Scrooge"
> <(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> wrote:
>

> >"Kerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

price?

> >> Well I love my Sony Cybershot. I don;t think it's worth going for
> >> anything less than a 3.2
> >>
> >> I love Sony's memory sticks

> >How's the battery life? Does it use a rechargeable battery, that lasts a
> >while between charges?
> >
> >E. Scrooge

> Very good indeed
>
> yes

Since my Sony video camera uses the same great little memory sticks. I'm
inclined to go for Sony camera for myself, being nice and small with a good
range offering up to 5mp.
The number of people getting film prints done must be a lot less with the
range of digital cameras that's around now, especially with the better
quality they now offer as well, compared to when they first came out.

E. Scrooge

Master Tech

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:42:10 +1200, Brian Harmer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:26:15 +1200, Ian JEnkins
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Ian O wrote:
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> wrote:

>>> ** budget for at least two sets of NiMH's plus a charger. Digicams are
>>> tough on batteries.

>>I agree in total with getting a camera with AA NiMH rechageable
>>batteries. They are far more cost effective than lithium batteries made
>>for a particular model.

>Heh! I have bought my NiMH batteries from Ian J for several years, so
>I am not surprised that he would say that.
>
>Nevertheless, having no connection with Ian other than as a satisfied
>customer, I commend him and his range of batteries and chargers to
>anyone looking for a good deal, good quality and customer service.
>
>Brian Harmer

Digital Cameras that Use AA Cell are absolute JUNK..

back again

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Kerry) wrote in news:3f15ca10.2263474
@news.wlg.ihug.co.nz:

> Subject: Re: Digital Camera
> From: (E-Mail Removed) (Kerry)
> Newsgroups: nz.general,nz.comp
>
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:10:58 +1200, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I wish to buy a digital camera. What is a decent one at a decent price?
>>Is a 2 megapixel cam good enough, or do I need 3?
>>

> Well I love my Sony Cybershot. I don;t think it's worth going for
> anything less than a 3.2
>
> I love Sony's memory sticks

I've got one myself, but the price of Sony proprietary memory was rather
more than most alternatives last time I bothered looking.

Mark Remfrey

"Kent Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bf4j33$2rvf$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Harty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:F47Ra.5175$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Get the one with the most mpix/larger optical zoom.
> >
> > Digital zoom is only BS.
> >

> Not necessarily. If your taking lower res photos, a digital zoom will

give
> you a closer image without loss of resolution.
>

> -KENT

How did you work that out? That is absolute crap!

Sure you will get a closer image, but if you set for low res storage, then
your camera has less pixels to play with when interpolating the results of
calculations that it's digital zoom is making.

Mark