Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Digital Camera

Digital Camera

Kent Smith

"Mark Remfrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rUIRa.84311$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Kent Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bf79rg$1ppc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Mark Remfrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:NemRa.83155$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "Kent Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:bf4j33$2rvf$(E-Mail Removed)...

will
> > > give

> > > How did you work that out? That is absolute crap!
> > >
> > > Sure you will get a closer image, but if you set for low res storage,

> then
> > > your camera has less pixels to play with when interpolating the

results
> of
> > > calculations that it's digital zoom is making.
> > >

> > e.g If your camera is recording 640x480 and your CCD is 2000x1500, a

> digital
> > zoom will allow you to get 640x480 pixels from the middle of the

2000x1500
> > image. Compared to similar shot taken with a 640x480 CCD, it is closer

> and
> > appears 'zoomed' (even though technically, it is cropped). Does have

it's
> > uses (i.e smaller file size) and not BS at all.

> Now you are talking about cropping, which is completely different from
> zooming.

No, a digital zoom is a crop.

-KENT

Nicholas Sherlock

"Kent Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bffhbo$1j7t$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mark Remfrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:rUIRa.84311$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Now you are talking about cropping, which is completely different from
> > zooming.
> >

> No, a digital zoom is a crop.

Not on all cameras. Not on my Canon Powershot A20. I think, anyway

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Bruce Hoult

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ian Boag) wrote:

> One other thing about zooms. I find that I run out of width at the
> short (wide-angle) end much more often than length at the long (tele)
> end. Long lenses (prime or zoom) always have a problem with camera
> shake. The small apertures of typical digicam zooms at full length
> only make this worse.
>
> A camera with a 35mm equiv of 28mm at the short end is much more use
> to me than one with 35 mm equiv. Optical zoom that goes past about
> 135mm equiv is not much use as it's really tripod territory.

Yes, this annoys me too.

My point-and-shoot film camera is a Fuji that does 28-56, but I had a
really hard job finding that, and have totally failed to find a similar
lens in a cheapish digital camera.

-- Bruce

Ian Boag

These days I use a Nikon Coolpix 995 (I like swivwl bodies). Spent the
extra dosh for the Nikon 0.66 converter (the older one) and am very
happy with the results it delivers. I think it's about 24mm 35 mil
equiv. 6mm true focal length.

Ian B