Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Right, I've had a guts full

Right, I've had a guts full

m00se

Steve wrote:
> m00se allegedly said:
>

>>Remember, sending someone email can be classed as "Accessing their
>>Computer System"
>>
>>http://www.internetnz.net.nz/issues/...-amend-bill-6/

> No....
>
> No more then posting someone an unsolicited letter is break and enter.

Your interpretation maybe, but its clearly stated in the act...

For the purposes of this section and sections 250 and 251, -

"access, in relation to any computer system,. means instruct,
communicate with, store data in, receive data from, or other wise make
use of any of the resources of the computer system

access, means instruct, communicate with, store data in...
Sending someone an email involves all these.

Scott

"m00se" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f15bdce$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Steve wrote:
> > m00se allegedly said:
> >

> >>Remember, sending someone email can be classed as "Accessing their
> >>Computer System"
> >>
> >>http://www.internetnz.net.nz/issues/...-amend-bill-6/

> > No....
> >
> > No more then posting someone an unsolicited letter is break and enter.
> >

> Your interpretation maybe, but its clearly stated in the act...
>

> For the purposes of this section and sections 250 and 251, -
>
> "access, in relation to any computer system,. means instruct,
> communicate with, store data in, receive data from, or other wise make
> use of any of the resources of the computer system
>

> access, means instruct, communicate with, store data in...
> Sending someone an email involves all these.

Ok so in that case sending email is illegal.
So is ordering online since you are communicating with them and storing data
in their system.
So is viewing a webpage, since you are receiving data from them.
So is everything you'd use the internet for. Email, newsgroups, ftp, instant
messenging, browsing......

Why not just say that using the internet is illegal? Seems to me that's what
it all boils down to.

How damn ridiculous is that??

- Scott

m00se

Scott wrote:

> Ok so in that case sending email is illegal.
> So is ordering online since you are communicating with them and storing data
> in their system.
> So is viewing a webpage, since you are receiving data from them.
> So is everything you'd use the internet for. Email, newsgroups, ftp, instant
> messenging, browsing......
>
> Why not just say that using the internet is illegal? Seems to me that's what
> it all boils down to.
>
> How damn ridiculous is that??

There is no arguement that the new laws are to a degree, a joke, but
that wasnt my point.

My point was to inform him to be carefull regarding any retalatory
action he takes.

Scott

"m00se" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f15cbe0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Scott wrote:
> >
> > Ok so in that case sending email is illegal.
> > So is ordering online since you are communicating with them and storing

data
> > in their system.
> > So is viewing a webpage, since you are receiving data from them.
> > So is everything you'd use the internet for. Email, newsgroups, ftp,

instant
> > messenging, browsing......
> >
> > Why not just say that using the internet is illegal? Seems to me that's

what
> > it all boils down to.
> >
> > How damn ridiculous is that??
> >

> There is no arguement that the new laws are to a degree, a joke, but
> that wasnt my point.
>
> My point was to inform him to be carefull regarding any retalatory
> action he takes.

Well in that case, under the new laws, because sending email is illegal,
then so is sending spam.
Problem solved - just arrest the spammers. LOL

How do they come up with these laws anyway? They make no sense. The
copyright laws are a joke too - they're both so full of contradictions that
almost anything can be legal and illegal at the same time!!

- Scott

Bruce Sinclair

In article <3f15bdce$(E-Mail Removed)>, m00se <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Steve wrote:
>> m00se allegedly said:
>>

>>>Remember, sending someone email can be classed as "Accessing their
>>>Computer System"
>>>
>>>http://www.internetnz.net.nz/issues/...-amend-bill-6/

>> No....
>> No more then posting someone an unsolicited letter is break and enter.

>Your interpretation maybe, but its clearly stated in the act...

>For the purposes of this section and sections 250 and 251, -

>"access, in relation to any computer system,. means instruct,
>communicate with, store data in, receive data from, or other wise make
>use of any of the resources of the computer system

>access, means instruct, communicate with, store data in...
>Sending someone an email involves all these.

... So the spammers are ALREADY breaking the law by interfereing with my
computer ? ... Prosecute the bastards !

Bruce

Oook !
NOTE remove the not_ from the address to reply. NO SPAM !

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> Why should anyone pay for a service that should be provided ... it's in the
>> ISP's interests after all.

>not really... say your on an hourly rate(dial up), you spend a few extra
>seconds downloading that spam, and thats money in their pocket... you
>have 50000 customers, and it begins to rack up.

Say you don't download it but leave it on their server. No cost to you. Their
problem ... isn't it ?

Bruce

Oook !
NOTE remove the not_ from the address to reply. NO SPAM !

T.N.O.

Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> Why should anyone pay for a service that should be provided ... it's in the
> ISP's interests after all.

not really... say your on an hourly rate(dial up), you spend a few extra
seconds downloading that spam, and thats money in their pocket... you
have 50000 customers, and it begins to rack up.

Same with Data charges, it pretty much is not in the interests of the
ISP... about the only thing that spam filters cuts down for the ISP is
potential calls, and most of them dont ring.

T.N.O.

madknoxie wrote:
> Now if you're send, or wanting to send 100 million emails in one day, it
> quickly becomes unfeasible and ghastly expensive to do. But again I
> re-iterate, I'm not sure it would be feasible to implement.

how about a change to smtp to make you have to authenticate, and all
other servers must authenticate their users... and mail is only accepted
from other servers that use this method, that way at least it would be
more trackable maybe?

Nicholas Sherlock

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> m00se wrote:
> > " 3. causes any computer system to -
> > 1. fail; or
> > 2. deny service to any authorised users."
> >
> > Leaving himself open for possible prosecution.
> >

> So if I inadvertantly(usualy email worm) email everyone in my
> addressbook a virus that causes some sort of damage of deny's service, I
> can be charged under this?
>
> oh dear.

Quite probably.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

T.N.O.

Peter KERR wrote:
> Thought for tyhe day:
> consider the ratio of paper spam to real snail mail in your
> old fashion ed letter box

Real mail
Junk 4, mail none.
Email
Junk 8, mail 3

Email still wins

Have you ever had your computer crashed at 3am and wished that you had someone to call? lifestylelink Computer Support 10 08-12-2006 03:05 PM
System Guts(power information) MidiBot@gmail.com Java 9 03-21-2006 02:07 PM
changing the guts of an enum value Aryeh M. Friedman Java 1 05-02-2005 06:17 PM
CF CARD GUTS LEICA Digital Photography 9 12-21-2004 09:06 AM
DVD player guts Nicholas Sherlock NZ Computing 10 09-01-2003 03:34 AM

Advertisments