Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Mandrake 9.1 stalling on startup

Mandrake 9.1 stalling on startup

Thor

Around %D Allistar Spake of :

> Brett Mason wrote:

>>> it has a static IP (102.169.0.1)

>>> only 127.0.0.1 localhsot
>>>
>>> should I put in the eth0 192.168.0.1 ?
>>>

>> Yes, if your hostname is set to something other than localhost.
>>
>> Also have a look in /var/log/messages as peter suggested. If something is
>> wrong with linux it will usually tell you there.

> That's interesting. I have just changed my hostname from localhost to
> allistar.paradise.net.nz to get sendmail working and I noticed when I
> rebooted yesterday that it took ages to startup.

You shouldn't change the localhost to the new host, some of the apps need
the local host line, you should in fact enter the second line with the host
and ip of the ethernet etc..Or at least that's what you need to do in
Redhat, Mandrake could be different,

> I'm not too concerned as I leave my PC on 24x7 (it had been previously
> running for 86 days when I rebooted to add some new hardware).

Tend to do the samwe, switch the monitor off when I'm not using it otherwise
the only time I reboot or shutdown is to run a new kernel..

J Murphy

I just posted a similar question over in alt.os.linux.mandrake. Mine hangs
at the same place, although I've never let it go that far without a forced
reboot. Second time around it works fine (in Linux within seconds).

I'd be curious what you find to resolve it - thanks all.

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bevjma$cg3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just after it checks the dependencies it pauses for about 5 minutes
> (probably longer than that actually) I tought it was locking up but if

you
> leave it it fires into life and is working.
>
> Is this a known problem and is there a fix?
>
> mandrake 9.1
> uname -r give 2.4.21-0.13mdk
> default install
>
> XP2100
> KT400 motherboard with Via chipset
> 40G on IDE0 but it is split
> 6G FAT32-
> 24G NTFS-
> 10G Linux Ext2
> 576Meg Linux swap.
>
> In that order.
>
> GeForce4MX460
>

> Anything else you need to know or do you know how to speed up bootup?
>

> PS> Many thanx to Recycler Man for his help getting this thing on it's
> way.
>
> --
> "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

Owen Cook

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, cowboyz wrote:

> Just after it checks the dependencies it pauses for about 5 minutes
> (probably longer than that actually) I tought it was locking up but if you
> leave it it fires into life and is working.

I have 2 x 9.1s, the first is a upgrade of a 9.0 and it often, like every
second time, stalls at the "loading compose keys Latin" or similar. I am
certain that I also get a prior error message about a missing partition
which google suggests is my ZIP drive.

Hit the reset button and there is a 90% chance that the new boot up will
go without any problem. The most reboots I have had to do is 2.

The second 9.1 is a clean install on another HDD and sofar there has been
no lockups.

Just one of those mysteries that I am not prepared to spend any more time
on.

Owen