Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How do i trace this?

Reply
Thread Tools

How do i trace this?

 
 
Craig Sutton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-15-2003

"John Fulton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zZNQa.4971$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >

> I have given up trying to trace the baddies. What I do use is Mozilla
> as my browser. It has built-in spam filtering for email. This learns
> what you define as spam and in quite a short time it knows what you
> define as spam, and can be instructed to either put it into a special
> folder, or to delete it all together! I put mine into a separate folder
> which I delete all of the contents of after having had a quick look.
> There is never anything that I want in there now, but when I started
> there were a few that got put there, but after about a month or so that
> has stopped.
>
> I get about 30 per day put into the SPAM folder which leaves two or
> three that I have to look at by hand - a big improvement and saver of
> time indeed.
>
> regards to you all
>

I recommend Eudora I have a great set of filters. I get around 50 spam a day
I filter %95 of it to spam folder automatically. A very high success rate
with very few false hits.

One simple filter zaps all html spam another zaps all spam written in
foreign charsets

If anyones using Eudora I will share the best filters with anyone who asks.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-15-2003
this quote is from remove eye of Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:27 :
>
> Also replying to the bastards to get taken off the list makes it worse.


Quite right!
However, I've had reasonable success with polite complaints to the company
that has registered the address block with offending IP. I've only tried
this where that company is in a western country, and directed the complaint
to the company a couple of steps up the feed chain. Also, I included the
email headers, so they can see what is going on.

cheers

Peter


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
back again
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-15-2003
"Craig Sutton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bf0b3f$tmk$(E-Mail Removed):

> Subject: Re: How do i trace this?
> From: "Craig Sutton" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: nz.comp
>
>
> "John Fulton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:zZNQa.4971$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> >

>> I have given up trying to trace the baddies. What I do use is
>> Mozilla as my browser. It has built-in spam filtering for email.
>> This learns what you define as spam and in quite a short time it
>> knows what you define as spam, and can be instructed to either put it
>> into a special folder, or to delete it all together! I put mine into
>> a separate folder which I delete all of the contents of after having
>> had a quick look. There is never anything that I want in there now,
>> but when I started there were a few that got put there, but after
>> about a month or so that has stopped.
>>
>> I get about 30 per day put into the SPAM folder which leaves two or
>> three that I have to look at by hand - a big improvement and saver of
>> time indeed.
>>
>> regards to you all
>>

> I recommend Eudora I have a great set of filters. I get around 50 spam
> a day I filter %95 of it to spam folder automatically. A very high
> success rate with very few false hits.



I recommend MailWasher written by a guy in Christchurch - can check
multiple POP accounts, can be set to trash & bounce emails, or just delete
them silently, etc. I use Eudora for emailing, but MailWasher checks all of
my accounts quickly, and I only open Eudora occasionally to reply.


> One simple filter zaps all html spam another zaps all spam written in
> foreign charsets
>
> If anyones using Eudora I will share the best filters with anyone who
> asks.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Craig Sutton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-15-2003

"Lennier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2003.07.15.11.07.04.393523@TRACKER...
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:14:18 +0000, back again wrote:
>
> > I recommend MailWasher written by a guy in Christchurch - can check
> > multiple POP accounts, can be set to trash & bounce emails, or just

delete
> > them silently, etc.

>
> Yes - mailwasher is excellent for previewing emails while leaving them
> sitting on the server, or for deleting them outright without having to
> download them.
>


Fine if you trust the software..but miss one important email.............


 
Reply With Quote
 
Enkidu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2003
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:46:45 +1200, m00se <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>back again wrote:
>> I recommend MailWasher written by a guy in Christchurch - can check
>> multiple POP accounts, can be set to trash & bounce emails, or just delete
>> them silently, etc. I use Eudora for emailing, but MailWasher checks all of
>> my accounts quickly, and I only open Eudora occasionally to reply.
>>

>I recommend NOT using mailwasher, and DO NOT use its bounce functions.
>
>Why? Because the bounce function forges your mail headers, which youll
>find is a breech of your ISP's AUP in most cases.
>
>If you value your account, dont use it.
>

Don't bounce because SPAMmers forge email addresses. If you get SPAM
that appears to come from someone, it probably didn't. If you bounce
the SPAM, you will probably harrass an innocent person.

Cheers,

Cliff
--

Signed and sealed with Great Seal of the Executive
Council of the Internet, by The Master of The Net.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Enkidu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-17-2003
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:21:46 +1200, m00se <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Enkidu wrote:
>>
>> Don't bounce because SPAMmers forge email addresses. If you get SPAM
>> that appears to come from someone, it probably didn't. If you bounce
>> the SPAM, you will probably harrass an innocent person.
>>

>
>Its whats refered to as a 'Joe Job'
>
>http://www.spamfaq.net/terminology.shtml#joe_job


Not really. It's not an attack against the sender. In fact the sender
is almost always different on different copies of the SPAM.

Cheers,

Cliff
--

Signed and sealed with Great Seal of the Executive
Council of the Internet, by The Master of The Net.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lennier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2003
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:14:18 +0000, back again wrote:

> I recommend MailWasher written by a guy in Christchurch - can check
> multiple POP accounts, can be set to trash & bounce emails, or just delete
> them silently, etc.


Yes - mailwasher is excellent for previewing emails while leaving them
sitting on the server, or for deleting them outright without having to
download them.

Lennier

--
I specifically DENY Xtra, and Telecom NZ Ltd, and all other subsidiaries
of Telecom NZ Ltd, the right to use the contents of this digital
communication for any purpose whatsoever, whether in whole or in part -
regardless of how it is stored or transmitted through Xtra's network.

 
Reply With Quote
 
dOTdASH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2003
"Lennier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2003.07.15.11.07.04.393523@TRACKER...
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:14:18 +0000, back again wrote:
>
> > I recommend MailWasher written by a guy in Christchurch - can check
> > multiple POP accounts, can be set to trash & bounce emails, or just

delete
> > them silently, etc.

>
> Yes - mailwasher is excellent for previewing emails while leaving them
> sitting on the server, or for deleting them outright without having to
> download them.
>
> Lennier
>
> --
> I specifically DENY Xtra, and Telecom NZ Ltd, and all other subsidiaries
> of Telecom NZ Ltd, the right to use the contents of this digital
> communication for any purpose whatsoever, whether in whole or in part -
> regardless of how it is stored or transmitted through Xtra's network.
>


Lennier will also recommend newsgroup software if you ask nicely


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
trace.axd and asp.net trace feature IIS only? Jiho Han ASP .Net 0 08-22-2006 12:44 PM
How to redirect output from Diagnostics.Trace to Page.Trace? Matthias S. ASP .Net 1 11-30-2005 09:01 AM
Trace: Can anyone suggest a good tool to catch trace messages? Rukmal Fernando ASP .Net 4 10-27-2003 09:03 PM



Advertisments