Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Cannot reboot my windows 98 !

Re: Cannot reboot my windows 98 !

NZed

Thanks Gavin
I have tried that...reinstalled the old drivers...still no luck.

NZed

"Gavin Tunney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:57:50 +1200, "NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Can any one offer me advice and instructions on how I reinstall windows

98

> >I replaced my powersupply and wanted to fix the graphics drivers.
> >Powersupply went in and then updated the graphics driver...then it

wouldnt
> >boot up.
> >Error message : Fatel exception OD has occured at 035F:000007E1 The

current
> >application will be terminated.
> >Tried my instal disk and it wouldnt read it.
> >Tried using my CD drive and wouldnt read it.
> >
> >Looks as if I need to reinstal my win 98
> >
> >However its been such a long time reinstalling and its not doing it the
> >conventional way.
> >
> >I could start it up in safe mode but couldnt get the CD drive working.
> >
> >Suggestions on where to start and a procedure ?
> >
> >Looking forward to your replies.
> >
> >NZed
> >

> Why not try addressing the problem first, reinstalling is rarely
> necessary. Immediate assumption is you've installed the wrong video
> drivers so try uninstalling the display adaptor from device manager or
> changing back to the old drivers.
>
> Gavin

Gavin Tunney

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 18:44:43 +1200, "NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Thanks Gavin
>I have tried that...reinstalled the old drivers...still no luck.

Ok. You've made a few changes and now the system doesn't work, which
suggest the changes you made are what caused your problems. Could be
the PSU is the problem, but a couple of other things to try;

Manually change the video driver in device manager to standard VGA &
see if it will then start in normal mode. If it does then look in the
/INF folder for the inf file for the new driver you installed and
delete it. Windows will then let you reinstall the old video driver.

If no go then try starting up to a command prompt and running scanreg
/restore. Restore the registry saved just before you changed the video
drivers.

If both don't work then you can reinstall by booting off the CD, or
you'll have to load Dos mode CDRom drivers so you can see the CD in
safe mode. You can process autoexec.bat and config.sys by booting to a
normal command prompt, and then start in safe mode by typing win /d:m

GT