Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Caller ID

Caller ID

Steve Sinclair

Has anybody been able to get Caller ID working on a modem in NZ?

I have a standalone Caller ID box which works - so I know Caller ID
info is being passed from Telecom.

I've got a PureTek PT-3020 voice modem that claims to be able to
handle Caller ID, it accepts the #CID=1 command but doesn't return any
caller info - just the RINGs.

Could the standalone box be the problem? or do I need a different
modem? or just different settings? - and if so what?

Any help appreciated.
Steve

Craig Shore

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:39:21 +1200, Steve Sinclair
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Has anybody been able to get Caller ID working on a modem in NZ?
>
>I have a standalone Caller ID box which works - so I know Caller ID
>info is being passed from Telecom.
>
>I've got a PureTek PT-3020 voice modem that claims to be able to
>handle Caller ID, it accepts the #CID=1 command but doesn't return any
>caller info - just the RINGs.
>
>Could the standalone box be the problem? or do I need a different
>modem? or just different settings? - and if so what?
>
>Any help appreciated.
>Steve

When it first came in BBS's were using it to identify callers, so it
is possible. Perhaps just some settings in your modem need changing?

Richard Malcolm-Smith

Steve Sinclair wrote:

> Has anybody been able to get Caller ID working on a modem in NZ?
>
> I have a standalone Caller ID box which works - so I know Caller ID
> info is being passed from Telecom.
>
> I've got a PureTek PT-3020 voice modem that claims to be able to
> handle Caller ID, it accepts the #CID=1 command but doesn't return any
> caller info - just the RINGs.
>
> Could the standalone box be the problem? or do I need a different
> modem? or just different settings? - and if so what?

Oops on the last one, ctrl enter is easy to hit when aiming for ctrl end.

I have tried an old ISA dynalink 56k, a PCI connexant chipsetted dynalink, and
an external rural dynalink and none of them would do it, there support was also
pretty short and to the point about not being a guarenteed thing to work on
there modems.

I gave up. That was about the time I gave the landline phone idea away so
screening calls wasnt as important.

What I was wanting to do was make the modem answer for anyone that wasnt on my
allowed numbers list. I even had a terminal script all worked out to do it.

Master Tech

wrote:

>Has anybody been able to get Caller ID working on a modem in NZ?
>
>I have a standalone Caller ID box which works - so I know Caller ID
>info is being passed from Telecom.
>
>I've got a PureTek PT-3020 voice modem that claims to be able to
>handle Caller ID, it accepts the #CID=1 command but doesn't return any
>caller info - just the RINGs.
>
>Could the standalone box be the problem? or do I need a different
>modem? or just different settings? - and if so what?
>
>Any help appreciated.
>Steve

Might not be the correct Caller ID, like the US version that is fitted.

RdM

:
: I have a standalone Caller ID box which works - so I know Caller ID
: info is being passed from Telecom.
:
: I've got a PureTek PT-3020 voice modem that claims to be able to
: handle Caller ID, it accepts the #CID=1 command but doesn't return any
: caller info - just the RINGs.
:
: Could the standalone box be the problem? or do I need a different
: modem? or just different settings? - and if so what?
:
: Any help appreciated.
: Steve

What "software" and OS are you using to receive the "info"?
I use CallerID from AnalogX, with an ISA Dynalink V1456VQH and it works fine
in Win98SE. Not sure if I remember getting more than RING RING in a terminal
screen though - it's been a while since I set it up. Where was your RING ?
http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...m/callerid.htm
It even distinguishes between

According to the Readme, "CallerID requires caller ID service from your
phone company, TAPI 2.0 or greater to be installed, a Unimodem/V driver as
well as a modem capable of receiving caller ID information. The Unimodem/V
driver is installed by default on Windows98/2000 machines ... "

The readme file also mentions this site for more info on callerid and PCs.
http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid.htm which does seem to have a useful and
detailed FAQ as well as lists of other callerID & telephony software.

From one of the software pages, "TAPI programs are preferable, as they can
coexist with other uses of a modem; you must close non-TAPI programs every
time you want to use the Net, for example. However programs that can only
access the modem via TAPI (and not directly via the COM port) will not work
under Windows NT"

From the FAQ "The system used in Australia and New Zealand seems to be based
on Bellcore, but it seems sufficiently different that not all US equipment
will work." See http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm#Q_18 .
It may be that your PureTek (though made in Taiwan?) doesn't work well here,
but perhaps some of the above will help you check it out thoroughly

Ross Matheson

RdM <(E-Mail Removed)> hit Ctrl-N instead of Shift-N and found he'd
posted inadvertently before completion ...:

: http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...m/callerid.htm
: It even distinguishes between

It even distinguishes between

: According to the Readme, "CallerID requires caller ID service from your
: phone company, TAPI 2.0 or greater to be installed, a Unimodem/V driver as
: well as a modem capable of receiving caller ID information. The Unimodem/V
: driver is installed by default on Windows98/2000 machines ... "
:
: The readme file also mentions this site for more info on callerid and PCs.
: http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid.htm which does seem to have a useful and
: detailed FAQ as well as lists of other callerID & telephony software.
:
: From one of the software pages, "TAPI programs are preferable, as they can
: coexist with other uses of a modem; you must close non-TAPI programs every
: time you want to use the Net, for example. However programs that can only
: access the modem via TAPI (and not directly via the COM port) will not work
: under Windows NT"
:
: From the FAQ "The system used in Australia and New Zealand seems to be based
: on Bellcore, but it seems sufficiently different that not all US equipment
: will work." See http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm#Q_18 .
: It may be that your PureTek (though made in Taiwan?) doesn't work well here,
: but perhaps some of the above will help you check it out thoroughly

Ross Matheson

: RdM <(E-Mail Removed)> hit Ctrl-N instead of Shift-N and found he'd
: posted inadvertently before completion ...:
:
: : http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...m/callerid.htm
: : It even distinguishes between
:
: It even distinguishes between

Aaaargh! I hate that - did it again!
It hardly seems worth mentioning now, but it displays both No Callerid Info
and Blocked in its logs, so it seems to be able to distinguish between them.

Craig Shore

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:18:53 +1200, "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Craig Shore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> When it first came in BBS's were using it to identify callers, so it
>> is possible. Perhaps just some settings in your modem need changing?
>>

>Never saw a BBS using it directly..... I know quite a few sysops had the
>external unit conencted to the line so they could match new signups numbers
>etc as verification but none actually had software that used the modem etc
>for it.
>If it was possible I probably wouldve started using it to prevent fake
>accounts etc...

Most of the ones in Christchurch were using it off the modem. If I can
recall correctly, it was mostly the boards running Searchlight
Software, they had a program you passed through when logging in, and
if your phone number it detected (it showed it on the login screen)
didn't match the number in their database from when you signed up it
wouldn't let you in. I think it gave you the option to update the
number, which the sysop would authorise.

KewlKiwi

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:39:21 +1200, Steve Sinclair <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Has anybody been able to get Caller ID working on a modem in NZ?

Have a look at:
http://www.winivr.co.nz/modems.htm

And also:
http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid.htm

Kiwi

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 08:06:24 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Craig
Shore) wrote:

>Most of the ones in Christchurch were using it off the modem. If I can
>recall correctly, it was mostly the boards running Searchlight
>Software, they had a program you passed through when logging in, and
>if your phone number it detected (it showed it on the login screen)
>didn't match the number in their database from when you signed up it
>wouldn't let you in. I think it gave you the option to update the
>number, which the sysop would authorise.

Wow!!,

That takes me back. I had a private board running for people in the
telecommunications industry using Searchlight. It was way ahead of
anyhting else out there at the time. Had some great features.

Cheers, Paul R

Can't get function caller if the caller is from a function within a popup window Mark Javascript 2 04-03-2004 07:57 AM
cisco caller allowed call time Ivana Cisco 1 03-02-2004 02:35 PM
caller / callee graph ... jai hanuman ASP .Net 0 12-16-2003 03:34 PM
CCM caller id JS Cisco 0 10-23-2003 05:05 PM
Caller Id and win32::serial robb Perl 1 10-14-2003 07:42 PM

Advertisments