Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: IE saving jpegs as bmps

Re: IE saving jpegs as bmps

Beemer

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:12:35 +1200, Kookaburra
<galah@*ubdimen*ion.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:50:36 +1200, "E. Scrooge"
><(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> wrote:
>>
>>And your desktop display is 24bit (true colour) - how wonderful for you.
>>Beemer was talking about 16bit display - then he later claims to be using
>>32bit.
>>
>>PSP can decrease the number of colours in a picture showing bugger all
>>difference as well - when on true colour with the different pictures all
>>open on the screen.
>>
>>E. Scrooge
>>

>An imported jpg will loose too much of it's definition when opening,
>closing and opening. I transform jpg files to lossless bmp-format when
>working with XaraX and that is actually recommended in PSP as well.
>
>My resolution is actually set to High Color 16bit which was
>recommended for the stationery groups I play in. I haven't got a
>32bit option with windows 98SE
>
>Cheers, Kooky

I use 98SE. You must have a modest video card? My old generic 4meg
card topped at 24bit.

Kookaburra

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:55:47 +1200, Beemer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:12:35 +1200, Kookaburra
><galah@*ubdimen*ion.com> wrote:
>
>>An imported jpg will loose too much of it's definition when opening,
>>closing and opening. I transform jpg files to lossless bmp-format when
>>working with XaraX and that is actually recommended in PSP as well.
>>
>>My resolution is actually set to High Color 16bit which was
>>recommended for the stationery groups I play in. I haven't got a
>>32bit option with windows 98SE
>>
>>Cheers, Kooky

>I use 98SE. You must have a modest video card? My old generic 4meg
>card topped at 24bit.

Yeah my 4meg card only goes to True Color 24bit but High Color 16bit
is far better to my eyes. ))

Cheers, Kooky

Mark Harris

<galah@*ubdimen*ion.com> wrote:

>An imported jpg will loose too much of it's definition when opening,
>closing and opening. I transform jpg files to lossless bmp-format when
>working with XaraX and that is actually recommended in PSP as well.

I use TIFF files. I figure that, if I'm going to wear the file bloat,
I might as well use the best format I can deal with. I think TIFF has
a better colour range than bmp. I do all my scans to tiff, manipulate
them and save to PNG, JPG or GIF, depending on what's appropriate.

I use Xara, PSP, Photoshop and a bundle of others on 98SE and W2K.
Just started using the GIMP on W2K and Mandrake at work, and it's
pretty cool, I've got to say, although I pulled down PSP 8 the other
day and that rocks pretty hard so far, it's all fun (until you get a
deadline).

cheers

mark
--
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist.
Children already know that dragons exist.

Mainlander

In article <bf04pg$nj9$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> "Beemer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >If it was an IE problem, it would be a widespread one. IE5.5 on this old
> > >PC, and IE6 on the newer PC don't have a problem. You display 2 pictures
> > >while using 16bit, those pictures will look worse than ever as the

> colours
> > >in both pictures are compensated for the limited range in colours with
> > >16bit.
> > >
> > >E. Scrooge
> > >

> > You are starting to sound like a hard core MS or IE defender. It is an
> > IE problem or it wouldn't turn up in forums. I have never been able
> > to tell the visual difference between 16bit and 24 or 32bit colour
> > settings. Even 256 colour pics look OK when I convert them to bmp for
> > use as wallpapers (I don't have Active Desktop installed so don't use
> > jpegs as wallpapers. They uncompress in RAM to large 16m colour files
> > anyway). If you want better performance speedwise from your graphics
> > card 16bit will give it to you.

> They can't show 16 Million colours if you're stuck on 16bit crap.
> Old PC has 4MB graphics card - set at 24bit for true colour of course.
> Newer PC has 128MB grahics card set at 32bit true colour. True colour
> pictures look identical on both PCs. The performance of the newer PC isn't
> slowed one bit.

??? (there is virtually no difference between 24 bit and 32 bit colour
anyway)

Nicholas Sherlock

"Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> In article <bf04pg$nj9$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
> > They can't show 16 Million colours if you're stuck on 16bit crap.
> > Old PC has 4MB graphics card - set at 24bit for true colour of course.
> > Newer PC has 128MB grahics card set at 32bit true colour. True colour
> > pictures look identical on both PCs. The performance of the newer PC

isn't
> > slowed one bit.

> ??? (there is virtually no difference between 24 bit and 32 bit colour
> anyway)

There is NO visual difference between 24 bit and 32 bit. The extra 8 bit
channel isn't used for anything. Because it's aligned on a 4-byte boundary,
you get a (slight) speed increase, but of course it uses up more memory.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Mainlander

In article <bfiqnn$djv$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> > In article <bf04pg$nj9$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> > says...
> > > They can't show 16 Million colours if you're stuck on 16bit crap.
> > > Old PC has 4MB graphics card - set at 24bit for true colour of course.
> > > Newer PC has 128MB grahics card set at 32bit true colour. True colour
> > > pictures look identical on both PCs. The performance of the newer PC

> isn't
> > > slowed one bit.

> > ??? (there is virtually no difference between 24 bit and 32 bit colour
> > anyway)
> >

> There is NO visual difference between 24 bit and 32 bit. The extra 8 bit
> channel isn't used for anything. Because it's aligned on a 4-byte boundary,
> you get a (slight) speed increase, but of course it uses up more memory.

I believe just one bit of the extra 8 is actually used for something.

E. Scrooge

"Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> In article <bf04pg$nj9$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
> >
> > "Beemer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

old

pictures

> > colours

with

> > > You are starting to sound like a hard core MS or IE defender. It is an
> > > IE problem or it wouldn't turn up in forums. I have never been able
> > > to tell the visual difference between 16bit and 24 or 32bit colour
> > > settings. Even 256 colour pics look OK when I convert them to bmp for
> > > use as wallpapers (I don't have Active Desktop installed so don't use
> > > jpegs as wallpapers. They uncompress in RAM to large 16m colour files
> > > anyway). If you want better performance speedwise from your graphics
> > > card 16bit will give it to you.

> > They can't show 16 Million colours if you're stuck on 16bit crap.
> > Old PC has 4MB graphics card - set at 24bit for true colour of course.
> > Newer PC has 128MB grahics card set at 32bit true colour. True colour
> > pictures look identical on both PCs. The performance of the newer PC

isn't
> > slowed one bit.

> ??? (there is virtually no difference between 24 bit and 32 bit colour
> anyway)

I never said that there was. Try 16 bit and see if you can display true
colour in that properly.

E. Scrooge