Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Redundant Sky Dish

Redundant Sky Dish

Worm

Hi people,

There's a sky dish on the roof of the house I've just moved into. Anything
exciting I can do with it, apart from pay shitloads 4 Sky, or make a bird
bath?

Worm

Brett Cooper

You could sell it to some wireless area network freaks for use as a high
gain wireless lan antenna.

Or the fake radar car sound great, maybe you could park outside the beehive
and point the disk at the building. Great way to meet interesting people.

Brett

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:20:44 +1200, Richard Malcolm-Smith <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Worm wrote:
>> Hi people,
>>
>> There's a sky dish on the roof of the house I've just moved into. Anything
>> exciting I can do with it, apart from pay shitloads 4 Sky, or make a bird
>> bath?

>Purchase a FTA sat reciever and get TV1 and 2 on it?
>
>Re-aim it to the other optus satillite (I always get them mixed up) and get some
>innane australian crap TV instead?
>
>Turn it into a high gain wireless lan antenna?
>
>paint it camo colours and put it on a moter so people think you have a radar?
>
>Call sky and ask them to take it away?
>
>Keep in mind if your renting, then messing with it would need landlords permission.

Brett Cooper

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:35:04 +1200, "Worm"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Brett Cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> You could sell it to some wireless area network freaks for use as a high
>> gain wireless lan antenna.
>>

>I was actually thinking of using it for wireless purposes myself...but
>didn't think it would be suitable as it would be so directional...? There
>are several nodes in my neighbourhood, and the cabling comes out of the wall
>right beside my computer
>

>Worm

Good luck doing the wireless thing. Where are you in NZ?
I think the dish is used to point at an omine direction antener (eak me
spelling). Here are some sites that might help you.

http://nosx.suddenlaunch.com/index.cgi
http://www.nzwireless.org/

Good luck. I would love to setup my own wireless node, pretty much like
the olden days of local bbs's.

Brett

Craig Whitmore

"Brett Cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:35:04 +1200, "Worm"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"Brett Cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> You could sell it to some wireless area network freaks for use as a

high
> >> gain wireless lan antenna.
> >>

> >I was actually thinking of using it for wireless purposes myself...but
> >didn't think it would be suitable as it would be so directional...?

There
> >are several nodes in my neighbourhood, and the cabling comes out of the

wall
> >right beside my computer

Different Antennas are designed for different frequenies so a pringles can
( http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448)
will work alot better than a Sky Antenna for 802.11 Wireless.

Thanks
Craig

Richard Malcolm-Smith

Craig Whitmore wrote:

> Different Antennas are designed for different frequenies so a pringles can
> ( http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448)
> will work alot better than a Sky Antenna for 802.11 Wireless.

You cna put a pringles can type antenna with the opening at te focal point of
the sat dish and use it to get more gain.

If it wasnt so freeking cold I would be on the roof playing with my old sky dish
now...

Worm

"Brett Cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good luck doing the wireless thing. Where are you in NZ?
> I think the dish is used to point at an omine direction antener (eak me
> spelling). Here are some sites that might help you.

I'm in Dunedin. According to nodedb.com, there's quite a few nodes going up
about the place! The Pringles can sounds interesting

Worm

Nicholas Sherlock

"Worm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f128aa3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Brett Cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Good luck doing the wireless thing. Where are you in NZ?
> > I think the dish is used to point at an omine direction antener (eak me
> > spelling). Here are some sites that might help you.

> I'm in Dunedin. According to nodedb.com, there's quite a few nodes going

up
> about the place! The Pringles can sounds interesting

I registered as interetested in starting.. but I need to gather the cash .
If I did it, I'd get a connected-by-network-cable external wireless rig so
that I could actually mount it on my roof for minimum loss of signal between
it and the pringles can.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Worm

news:bevmn7$eag$(E-Mail Removed)...

.
> If I did it, I'd get a connected-by-network-cable external wireless rig so
> that I could actually mount it on my roof for minimum loss of signal

between
> it and the pringles can.

What costs are actually involved? Like the "wireless card", some sort of
antenna etc.

Worm