Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > which dvd drive ?

which dvd drive ?

cowboyz

i have the asus and very happy with it. you can reset the region lock by
holding the buttons on front of the drive on bootup.

--
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

"Robert Bradshaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cU%Pa.77769$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Out of these which one should I get.. the price differences between them

is
> marginal
>
> Asus E616 16x48x Retail DVD-Rom Drive
> LG DRD-8161B 16x48x oem DVD-Rom Drive
> LiteOn 16x40x oem DVD-Rom Drive
> Mitsubishi 16x Black Retail DVD-Rom Drive
> Pioneer DVD-120 16x Tray load oem DVD-Rom Drive
> Sony DDU1621 16x40x oem DVD-Rom Drive
>
> any advice appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Rob
>

> ---

Robert Bradshaw

Out of these which one should I get.. the price differences between them is
marginal

Asus E616 16x48x Retail DVD-Rom Drive
LG DRD-8161B 16x48x oem DVD-Rom Drive
LiteOn 16x40x oem DVD-Rom Drive
Mitsubishi 16x Black Retail DVD-Rom Drive
Pioneer DVD-120 16x Tray load oem DVD-Rom Drive
Sony DDU1621 16x40x oem DVD-Rom Drive

any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

---

Ben Perston

cowboyz wrote:
> i have the asus and very happy with it. you can reset the region lock by
> holding the buttons on front of the drive on bootup.

Another thumbs up for the Asus here - quiet, easy to reset the region
change counter, and it rips audio CDs very fast (provided they're not
scratched). My experience with a Pioneer slot loading drive (116 maybe)
was rather less pleasant, but the tray loading drives might be
completely different.

Robert Bradshaw

"Ben Perston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f10ae50$(E-Mail Removed)...
> cowboyz wrote:
> > i have the asus and very happy with it. you can reset the region lock

by
> > holding the buttons on front of the drive on bootup.

> Another thumbs up for the Asus here - quiet, easy to reset the region
> change counter, and it rips audio CDs very fast (provided they're not
> scratched). My experience with a Pioneer slot loading drive (116 maybe)
> was rather less pleasant, but the tray loading drives might be
> completely different.

yeah I'v heard good things about Asus too, so that's probably the one unless
anyone else has any other opinions?

---

~misfit~

"Robert Bradshaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Al4Qa.77971$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ---

There's a new AVG update available as of the 10th.
--
~misfit~

---

Invisible

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:28:29 +1200, "Robert Bradshaw" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Ben Perston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:3f10ae50$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> cowboyz wrote:
>> > i have the asus and very happy with it. you can reset the region lock

>by
>> > holding the buttons on front of the drive on bootup.

>> Another thumbs up for the Asus here - quiet, easy to reset the region
>> change counter, and it rips audio CDs very fast (provided they're not
>> scratched). My experience with a Pioneer slot loading drive (116 maybe)
>> was rather less pleasant, but the tray loading drives might be
>> completely different.
>>

>yeah I'v heard good things about Asus too, so that's probably the one unless
>anyone else has any other opinions?

Pleased with my Asus as well. It ripped a track from a scratched audio CD that
my regular CDrom drive had problems with.

Brett Cooper

Ok I could say my ASUS is good but the only thing I found with it was that
it doesn't read DVD-R disks. But apart from that, it's damb fine.

Brett

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:53:18 +1200, Invisible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:28:29 +1200, "Robert Bradshaw" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>

>>"Ben Perston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:3f10ae50$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>by
>>>
>>> Another thumbs up for the Asus here - quiet, easy to reset the region
>>> change counter, and it rips audio CDs very fast (provided they're not
>>> scratched). My experience with a Pioneer slot loading drive (116 maybe)
>>> was rather less pleasant, but the tray loading drives might be
>>> completely different.
>>>

>>yeah I'v heard good things about Asus too, so that's probably the one unless
>>anyone else has any other opinions?
>>

>Pleased with my Asus as well. It ripped a track from a scratched audio CD that
>my regular CDrom drive had problems with.

Gordon

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:42:40 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> "Robert Bradshaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Al4Qa.77971$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> ---

> There's a new AVG update available as of the 10th.
> --
> ~misfit~

Well, this must go down as a case of where the sig matches the posting, as
far as the subjucet of the thread goes.

Invisible

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 17:25:06 +1200, Brett Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ok I could say my ASUS is good but the only thing I found with it was that
>it doesn't read DVD-R disks. But apart from that, it's damb fine.

Which model have you got? Just chucked a DVD+R in and it read it no problem.
Haven't got any -R's lying around to test though.

~misfit~

news(E-Mail Removed)...